E-8000 Chainring Bolt Torque?

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
Random question: I've looked at all the .PDFs I could find, could not see an actual printed text on the official torque spec for the E-8000 chainring bolts. There are torque specs for the main spindle ring, crank arms, etc. but for some reason they only show the spider/chainring in the manuals as a single unit. Has anyone seen differently?

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I don't know. I have changed mine with that slot tool that holds the nuts while using the right allen / hex key. I do the crossover technique - like when you do up the nuts on a car wheel - opposing sides. I do this a couple of times at what I feel is the same torque. I use as much force as the little hex key can take safely. The mounting bolts and nuts I have are stainless steel, so I'm not concerned for them. The hex key or that slot tool are the limiting factors.

Jan 19, 2019
UK
I just had to install a new cassette & chainring on Sunday.
I had the same issue but I finally found a pdf online that stated 12NM for the CRE80-B Chainring.

I also had to buy a Park Tool Chainring Nut Wrench (CNW2) to allow me to tighten the bolts fully. The park tool had to be filed down slightly with a small file to allow the shimano bolts to fit.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Generic specs are 5-8 Nm for alloy chainring bolts and 8-12 for steel. You can also loctite them with purple (low strength) threadlocker if you're having issues with them backing out. I generally don't put anything on CR bolts.

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
Not looking for a how-to or generic specs. I know how to and have the tools to change chainrings and chainring bolts.

As the first post said, I'm looking for an actual printed text on the official torque spec for the E-8000 chainring bolts - meaning, official Shimano saying official torque spec for the E-8000 or STEPS chainrings.

I had the same issue but I finally I found a pdf online that stated 12NM for the CRE80-B Chainring.

Link?

Jan 19, 2019
UK
This is the screenshot from the PDF that I saved.
BAABE10E-C6E1-4C53-ACE8-F80441B41248.png

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
Just a small note - turns out the chainring bolt specs were added to the 2020 Shimano STEPS US Service Manuals, but was not on the 2019 versions (which was what I had).

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles