Dual crown forks?

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
My riding is increasingly moving towards DH and with my new EMTB, weigh is becoming less critical-I'm slowly upgrading my rig to reflect this style of riding.

One upgrade I'm curious about is swapping to a DH/dual-crown fork (200mm travel) not so much for the travel but more for the added stability/rigid feel and potential to increase/decrease the offset with different clamps but I'm concerned about having a massive variance of travel front/rear and if these forks will fuck the geometry.

Has any done this or have an educated opinion on the pro's n' con's or tips of such an upgrade?

More info:
Bike: Giant Trance E+ pro1
Current fork: Fox 36 150mm travel
Rear: Fox Float 140mm travel
Me: 6'4 120kgs (I break bikes)

dirt huffer

E*POWAH Master
Dec 3, 2018
Minneapolis
Can't you lower a DH fork to 180 or possibly lower?

I know a guy a few years ago made a mini DH bike from a Titus El Guapo with a lowered dual crown DH fork. I think he had it set to 180 but maybe you can lower one more....

HikerDave

Feb 9, 2019
Tempe
My riding is increasingly moving towards DH and with my new EMTB, weigh is becoming less critical-I'm slowly upgrading my rig to reflect this style of riding.

One upgrade I'm curious about is swapping to a DH/dual-crown fork (200mm travel) not so much for the travel but more for the added stability/rigid feel and potential to increase/decrease the offset with different clamps but I'm concerned about having a massive variance of travel front/rear and if these forks will fuck the geometry.

Has any done this or have an educated opinion on the pro's n' con's or tips of such an upgrade?

More info:
Bike: Giant Trance E+ pro1
Current fork: Fox 36 150mm travel
Rear: Fox Float 140mm travel
Me: 6'4 120kgs (I break bikes)

MRP Bartlett which comes in 170 mm won’t mess up your geometry too much.

Bartlett

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
Somebody here did it with a Kenevo a while back, there's a thread about it somewhere. I'd agree in making sure the frame can handle it, and a lower travel version.

drjarvis2003

Jul 4, 2018
glasgow
There used to be a rule of thumb that i still stick to, which is that you can get away with 20% increase of travel without causing issues. But that would only give you that option to go to 180mm max.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The Kenevo is rated for dual crown use by Specilized, so pithing warranty if you put DH forks on it.

You need to check with Giant.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles