Dropset help!

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I got a Chris King Dropset 5 the other day for my Levo SL.

I’ve gone to fit it just now, but am a bit stuck.
Following the assembly instructions, it is supposed to go together like in my first photo - however the bottom part won’t go all the way to the bottom of my fork.

The bit that came off the fork has a split in it - to make it wide enough.
I’m assuming the Chris King one should be able to push right to the bottom of the fork too? The actual bearing fits fine.

I thought this was going to be a simple swap over!

Any help appreciated!

17D39A96-718C-4116-9D8E-8F3707B5D39A.jpeg

1398D911-9CD9-48DB-8396-1ECAA29A3BF6.jpeg

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Time for tool No 1 ( hammer!) and a suitable drift ( as above putting the race into boiling water will probably help together with a smear of grease on the steerer tube.) The reason for your slight problem is that the race is a press fit whereas most headsets these days use a split ring. I have heard of some that covert a press fit to a split ring with a hacksaw but it should not really be necessary. If you look at your photo the last 10mm of the steerer tube does not increase any further in diameter.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Ah, ok... so it is just a case of forcing it on?!
I was scared to try in case it got stuck half way.

I did notice it didn’t get any wider... I wondered if maybe a gentle rub of the fork with some emery paper might help - removing a tiny layer of the powder coat.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
You can make a tool from a piece of 40mm plastic sink waste pipe like this.

Thanks - I actually used a similar method to this in the end - whilst following the above advise too.
Couldn’t fit the folk in the freezer, so I wrapped the crown in ice. Put the race in boiling water.
Found a bit of pipe that wasn’t quite wide enough - and cut a few slits in it to expand it.
Placed the race onto the crown with a bit of grease, popped the pipe over, and slammed the pipe off the floor. Went on with the first hit!

I then had to use another homemade tool (a socket, washer, M6 screw and a spacer - from a YouTube video) to fit the star nut, as my Levo SL has the headset tool.

Job done though - amazing what you can make out of the stuff lying around

Thanks to everyone for the advice ??

7AC3EB25-EDB2-49DD-8E7D-16100658508E.jpeg

Last edited:

MrPeaski

Sep 21, 2020
South Wales
It was worth doing properly. That headset will outlast the bike!
I bought a Chris King Titanium nothread set and it went on 3 different bikes over a 10 year period with only a wipe over for maintenance. I only let it go with a frame as its replacement wasn't compatible. Wish I'd kept it now as a trophy piece.

Out of interest, have you got a link for your Garmin mount, very tidy

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
It was worth doing properly. That headset will outlast the bike!
I bought a Chris King Titanium nothread set and it went on 3 different bikes over a 10 year period with only a wipe over for maintenance. I only let it go with a frame as its replacement wasn't compatible. Wish I'd kept it now as a trophy piece.

Out of interest, have you got a link for your Garmin mount, very tidy

Fingers crossed. Now sure how I’ll ever get it off if I need to change the fork though!!
The Garmin mount must be 5+ years old, and was stolen from my last bike. I did have a K-Edge one, but it wouldn’t play nicely with the Enve stem... so I got that one instead.

I’ll have a look back through old emails when I get home, but I have a feeling it was an eBay purchase.

MrPeaski

Sep 21, 2020
South Wales
Not the exact one, but this looks the same.

Nice one thank you.

To get the crown race off, you are fortunate that there is an indentation on the back of your fork crown (see your first pic) that you can get a flat screwdriver in to gently tap it up and then work it around until it lifts.

Without the indentation i use this method
Using a wide wood chisel, with the bevelled edge up gently tap it under the edge of the crown race, front first, then back, left then right until it starts to lift, then turn the chisel over (bevelled edge down) and use it to lever the crown race up, again front/back, left/right.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles