Drivetrain for E-bikes

Afifz

Feb 18, 2021
Turin, Italy
Hi guys,

Just wanted to seek feedback from everyone here on the type of drivetrain you have on your e-MTB.

I have heard some people recommending 10 speed drivetrains for e-MTBs due to:

a) E MTBs do not require the low gearing offered by 11 or 12 speed drivetrains.

b) 10 speed drivetrains having thicker, more durable chains last longer and are less prone to chain breaks.

What are your thoughts on this?

Is it true that 12 or 11 speed drivetrains are less durable on e-MTBs?

Is the large rear sprocket not required on e-MTBs?

Looking forward to the feedback.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Bigger chain ring at the front .
Means more top end speed . But not as low ratios for tech .
Change the front for bigger , well also change the rear . More gear range low and high .

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
10spd all the way guys, more durable, 1/2 the price, stronger chains and just as much range as you need ( 11-48 or 11 - 50 rear ) are available at reasonable cost.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
On MTBs my first 12-speed lasted six times longer than all the 7, 9 and 10-speed chains I'd had before. My first 11-speed (on my emtb) is looking to last much longer too. Figure that out!

The SRAM 8-speed ebike drive is supposed to last longer because it is stronger, but the jury is still out on that one, as far as I can tell. I won't be buying it, because when I tested it I could not get used to the big gaps between gears, I never seemed to be in the right gear for me.

If you have strong legs and no problems with your knee joints then 10-speed 11-40 seems to be gaining support.

But I need my 11-46 that comes with my 11-speed. Currently I do not need 10-50.

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Yup agree on the 8 speed, just too wider gaps particulalry if you also ride analogues where you are used too a close ratio between gears.

A lot would depend on where you intend to ride. I go from road sections to billy goat requirements on steep single track, I need a very broad range of gears, presently a 11- 48 with a 36 front on a 27.5 fat tyre gives me what I want.

nineT

Apr 16, 2020
Bavaria
I have heard some people recommending 10 speed drivetrains for e-MTBs due to:

a) E MTBs do not require the low gearing offered by 11 or 12 speed drivetrains.

They do not really need it.
But it was disturbing me when riding in mixed groups.
Even the young and fit riders shift into the shortest gear when climbing long and steep uphills, forcing me into very low cadence and thus high battery consumption.
So I went for the Kindernay IGH (adapting the Speedhub to a RM Powerplay bike is not easy, and a smaller chainring is also not appliccable on this bike) and I am able now to use more of my own power and less battery.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Been running a 36t chainring and a 10 speed 11-36 cassette for the past two and a half years on my Emtbs.
Absolutely do not miss the lower gears.
durability and chain/cassette life are far greater than wide range 11 or 12 speed. it's not because of the slightly wider chain though. it's because of far less stress on the chain/cassette in the extremes.
plus a tiny 10t or smaller cassette sprocket on an Emtb is an absolutely stupid idea.

TeoElFeo

Apr 13, 2022
Tallinn
IMO this 'technoligy' makes little sense... Essentially he is talking a but a hub drive motor powered by your legs. Totally pointless for mid drive emtbs. Probably even pointless for any bike due to very low energy efficiency..

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
IMO this 'technoligy' makes little sense... Essentially he is talking a but a hub drive motor powered by your legs. Totally pointless for mid drive emtbs. Probably even pointless for any bike due to very low energy efficiency..
I like the theory of it thou
Maybe one day something similar may appear (y)

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
What do you mean one day may appear? It's just a hub motor. It exists for decades already 😉
Yes i know LOL
So do generators just not together like this successfully on a bike yet
I like that people think a little different sometimes otherwise we would still be riding round on bone shakers(y)

1670588709133.png

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles