Levo SL Gen 1 Downtube Fork Protector - Levo SL

eMarc

Apr 21, 2020
Kent UK
I am not a fan of the plastic lugs that are bolted onto the down tube of my small SL, I believe the medium has them as well:

IMG_1363.JPG

A friend runs an Acros block lock headset which came with his YT decoy, has anybody run this on the SL and if so can you still use the swat tool?

Has anybody figured out a different solution that allows you to get rid of the dorky plastic lugs whilst preventing the forks from hitting the frame in an accident?

eMarc

Apr 21, 2020
Kent UK
The Acros Block lock arrived yesterday but when I went to install it I could not see a headset cup to remove:

IMG_1456.jpg

The top headset bearing seems to sit on a carbon sill which appears to be non removable, anybody else tried changing the top or bottom bearings along with the cup?

With the Acros headset you need the cup in place as it has the lock pin which prevents fork frame strikes.

Has anybody else figured out an alternative solution to either allow the forks to clear the frame or stop them before they meet?

It is times like these that I wish I was taller and on a large frame....

Last edited:

onabike

Aug 21, 2019
San Diego, CA
I also have a size M Turbo Levo. The stock fork (Pike) didn't clear the downtube with the protector removed. I replaced the stock fork (Pike) with a Fox 36 and it did clear by a little. Had one massive impact crash where most of the hit was on the fork and the bars rotated and it still all cleared. I've since put a DVO Diamond fork on and the knobs are too tall to clear, so the protector is back on. The point of this story is that some forks might clear and others won't. I sure hate the look of that rubber protector, but it is what it is. I look forward to seeing if others have any solutions that work.

ImSundee

Jan 20, 2020
Oxford
The Bearing cups on the SL are intergrated, you can't remove them. It just takes drop in bearings.

eMarc

Apr 21, 2020
Kent UK
I also have a size M Turbo Levo. The stock fork (Pike) didn't clear the downtube with the protector removed. I replaced the stock fork (Pike) with a Fox 36 and it did clear by a little. Had one massive impact crash where most of the hit was on the fork and the bars rotated and it still all cleared. I've since put a DVO Diamond fork on and the knobs are too tall to clear, so the protector is back on. The point of this story is that some forks might clear and others won't. I sure hate the look of that rubber protector, but it is what it is. I look forward to seeing if others have any solutions that work.
Thanks for sharing your experiences with the different forks, any reason you did not stick with the fox 36 and was that the factory set?

I may have to live with them as you say unless I can find a good performing fork that also clears the down tube.

eMarc

Apr 21, 2020
Kent UK
The Bearing cups on the SL are intergrated, you can't remove them. It just takes drop in bearings.
Thanks for confirming and that is what I suspected, at the time I was tempted to see if they were removable with a little bit of persuasion, I am glad I did not!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles