Down to the final 2….Trek or Merida for the win

Sidkop

Feb 13, 2021
Melbourne
Well I’m down to the final 2 in the eMTB choice. The Merida e160 700 (2021) or Trek Rail 5 (2022). I haven't been able to ride either yet (availability in Aus is literally bonkers).

Any advice from owners of each bike? I think I'm leaning towards the Trek, but not sure if it's just because I passed up on a Fuel ex8 a long time ago.

Trek
May have brand x factor
Longer chain stay for better up hill stability
Would upgrade front fork eventually
Cheaper
Possibly better bike shop support
More oomph on battery
Extended Boost
Good reviews
Older models had dodgy paint
Mino link

Merida
Default specs are better
Mullet spec (maybe a trend, maybe better)
More agility
Bigger battery
More 'reserved power usage'
Possibly better reviews
Software editing for the battery

Last edited:

pmcdonald

Oct 22, 2021
NSW, Australia
I just went through a similar process: Rail 5 vs e160 500 in my case (couldn't stretch the extra $1k for the 700).

Have you been given any time frames on stock? I'm in NSW - got quoted a Jan/Feb delivery on the Rail 5 and an October on the 700. Yoikes. (Managed to luck a 500 that just came in at another dealer.)

Sidkop

Feb 13, 2021
Melbourne
I just went through a similar process: Rail 5 vs e160 500 in my case (couldn't stretch the extra $1k for the 700).

Have you been given any time frames on stock? I'm in NSW - got quoted a Jan/Feb delivery on the Rail 5 and an October on the 700. Yoikes. (Managed to luck a 500 that just came in at another dealer.)
Looks like there is the odd 2021 e160 700 dotted around. The 2022 Trek Rail is mid Jan, early Feb depending on Colour.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles