Does RS toolbox do anything the steps fields doesn't?

MikeL_mtb

Feb 15, 2022
New York
My buddy and I both got Rise's recently, and since his came first he setup RS toolbox, but it didn't want to connect half of the time, and we figured out that stuff like battery % is in the e-bike fields and you can setup your own custom data screen. I didn't setup RS yet to my bike, but is there anything it actually does differently that I'm missing? I have a ebike screen from a YT decoy I was riding for a bit, and I can't think of what else I would actually need.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
My buddy and I both got Rise's recently, and since his came first he setup RS toolbox, but it didn't want to connect half of the time, and we figured out that stuff like battery % is in the e-bike fields and you can setup your own custom data screen. I didn't setup RS yet to my bike, but is there anything it actually does differently that I'm missing? I have a ebike screen from a YT decoy I was riding for a bit, and I can't think of what else I would actually need.

I put RS Toolbox on my partner’s Garmin watch for her, it just shows battery % and assistance mode

My Rise is due in a couple of weeks and I’m just going to use the EBike field app from @JanCapek as all I need is battery %, and you can customise that amongst other data fields so my 130 Edge screen will also be showing speed, elevation, distance, time etc

MikeL_mtb

Feb 15, 2022
New York
I put RS Toolbox on my partner’s Garmin watch for her, it just shows battery % and assistance mode

My Rise is due in a couple of weeks and I’m just going to use the EBike field app from @JanCapek as all I need is battery %, and you can customise that amongst other data fields so my 130 Edge screen will also be showing speed, elevation, distance, time etc

I have a 830, so I'm not sure if the 130 is the same, but when you pair a steps motor to the garmin, you get e-bike fields, and batt % is one of them. I originally thought those wouldn't work with the RS, and you needed the toobox to see them, but they work fine on mine.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I have a 830, so I'm not sure if the 130 is the same, but when you pair a steps motor to the garmin, you get e-bike fields, and batt % is one of them. I originally thought those wouldn't work with the RS, and you needed the toobox to see them, but they work fine on mine.

Sounds like you don’t need RS, just use what you’ve already been using 👍🏻

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere

The RS toolbox stores data you can view later on Garmin Connect (I think anyway, as I've never used it ...)

Obikaii

Jan 10, 2022
Devon
From my attempts to get the rs toolbox synced I wouldn't bother,wasted probably a good combined hour on 3 occasions setting it up,first was unsuccessful, second worked,but then when I actually wanted to use it on a ride it didn't work,so uninstall & tried again,same result as the first time.
So I tried the steps app,same procedure to install as the rs,& it worked first time,so I disconnected the bike & tried again,came back on no hassle.
As its basically the same information on screen as the rs, there is no point struggling with it,I'll go with the path of least resistance.

10splaya

Mar 1, 2022
Miami
the battery and mode are I think the most important data fields on the garmin. :)

MPH of course too!

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
I wouldn’t bother with the RS toolbox it’s a pita if you can even get it to work
Garmin shows plenty of fields !!!
I have a 830 and currently shows me

assistant mode
Ebike battery
Cadence
Average cadence
Total distance
Rear mech gear number ( fitted axs rear mech)

MikeL_mtb

Feb 15, 2022
New York
Update: I finally connected the RS toolbox to one of my data profiles on the 830, and it connected the first time, second ride, I needed to reboot the bike to get it working, and I am pretty sure it's the last time I'll use it. You can only get the RS page OR the steps data fields, and unless I'm missing something, I can't add just the RS fields to another data page. I have a page that shows batt % and assitance level mixed with other relevant data, and now that's useless. So the only difference I see is the RS page feeds connect the batter usage/mode statistics, which are kinda nice, but much less useful than the steps fields, so I'm going to disable that for now. I didn't yet check if I have 2 ebike profiles on the garmin, one with steps and one with RS will it connect which ever one is selected? I'm thinking it won't, I think I need to remove the RS page to get steps back.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles