Rail (625Wh) Do you need to replace the cranks to run Shimano Chainring with Sram X1 & Bosch Gen 4

vman

Jan 1, 2023
Marin County USA
Has anyone used any aftermarket chainrings with the Shimano shift pattern with Sram X1 cranks on a Bosch Gen 4 (I have a trek Rail 9.7)? Trying to figure out if I need to replace the cranks with Ethirteen or Race Face to cranks to run a Shimano chainring.

thanks,

VM

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I replaced my original chainring on my Rail 9.7 with a34 tooth eThirteen. I was able to use the original Sram cranks.
The metal “O” ring was not needed with this chainring.

vman

Jan 1, 2023
Marin County USA
By "o" ring do you mean the bosch spider that allows you to attach a standard BCD chainring to it ? If no o-ring/.spider then I assume you were able to fit an Ethirteen Direct Mount Steel Chainring and then instead of having to put on e-thirteen cranks you were able to reuse the SRAM X1 crank arms. If so that is great to know.

Thanks,

VM.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
You may want to confirm this but here’s what I can remember when I replaced the chainring;

Once the crank is removed, then the spider nut, then the chainring, there was a metal “O” ring behind the old chainring which likely held a rubber “O” ring in place. With the new e-thirteen chainring the metal “O” ring may not be necessary. (See pics). If the metal “O” ring is used or left in place, the new ethirteen chainring is pushed out too far or may not be installed correctly.
FAC14AE5-9121-44A9-83A9-3EE259B87CC3.jpeg

F38B7694-CDFB-4FB0-A973-1B7CD223A951.jpeg

I’ve used this replacement for almost a year now with no issues. I would, however, ensure that this area is properly greased and that the spider nut is correctly torqued.

Note the raised section on the new ethirteen chainring.

vman

Jan 1, 2023
Marin County USA
You may want to confirm this but here’s what I can remember when I replaced the chainring;

Once the crank is removed, then the spider nut, then the chainring, there was a metal “O” ring behind the old chainring which likely held a rubber “O” ring in place. With the new e-thirteen chainring the metal “O” ring may not be necessary. (See pics). If the metal “O” ring is used or left in place, the new ethirteen chainring is pushed out too far or may not be installed correctly. View attachment 103872
View attachment 103873

I’ve used this replacement for almost a year now with no issues. I would, however, ensure that this area is properly greased and that the spider nut is correctly torqued.

Note the raised section on the new ethirteen chainring.
Thanks for the information and the pictures

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles