Ditch the zip tie fender...

Pwrhungry

May 22, 2020
Germany
So I personally didn’t want to zip tie to the shock and scratch the paint. I asked YT and Dan (who has been awsome) told me he uses Syncros fender. So I bought it and even a friend with a decoy has loved it and has one now. Here are some picks in case you are anal like me.
40B7BE98-E402-437A-990F-1A69EDB5A206.jpeg
83F9527D-5C8F-4B23-BD5F-AAE413C1D561.jpeg
BDF718F4-CE66-4356-B1E0-962B5A29483C.jpeg

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
Not a fan of that fender. It offers no protection to the fork seals and sanctions from dirt and debris.

Here is the new fox one I have, but it has issues of leaking from the bleeder port connections when I go ride it above 8k’ elevation.

1B253FA9-EC37-436D-88A0-49BE4BEEFF96.jpeg

EA9CE9D7-3AAC-40A5-82BD-127CF22E6FA4.jpeg

Pwrhungry

May 22, 2020
Germany
The prob is that only works on the new shock. I seen and like it but it doesnt work as I dont have those lower bolts. As for protecting the seal nothing protects that but the dust seal. Dust, mud, and other crap are gonna get on your fork. I got the mud gaurd so it doesnt throw so much mud on me.

kylnman

Jan 6, 2020
Virginia, USA
While those fenders do almost nothing, one thing they do is send you to the ER after being knocked out. In the hardwoods of Virginia, we ride through leaves and sticks. One of these sticks lifted up my front Minion and lodged in the fender up against the fork legs while traveling at 20 mph. The result wasn't so much an endo as a mousetrap slamming my head to the ground. Fortunately, I was riding with my mates and got taken care of. As if this were anecdotal research only, my son suffered the same stick-in-fender fate, hit his head, but was not knocked out, or worse, fortunately. No fenders in the woods!

ebnash

Aug 16, 2020
Los Gatos, CA
I use the Syncros on the Fox 36 on my Sentinel and like that it is a super clean and secure fit. The only thing I expect a front fender to do is eliminate or minimize how much water and mud is throw into my eyes. The Syncros does that just fine.

Unless a front fender is huge, it won’t really protect much. I’ve had sticks lodge up in mine but never stopped the bike. Sounds like that stick was big enough that it might have seized the tire even without a fender.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I had the Synchros but IMO it doesn't do much and as mentioned doesn't protect the seals - however RRP also make guards that bolt on and they are a whole world better, though they are full guards rather than "enduro" style ones.

Screenshot 2020-08-21 at 21.30.21.png

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
While those fenders do almost nothing, one thing they do is send you to the ER after being knocked out. In the hardwoods of Virginia, we ride through leaves and sticks. One of these sticks lifted up my front Minion and lodged in the fender up against the fork legs while traveling at 20 mph. The result wasn't so much an endo as a mousetrap slamming my head to the ground. Fortunately, I was riding with my mates and got taken care of. As if this were anecdotal research only, my son suffered the same stick-in-fender fate, hit his head, but was not knocked out, or worse, fortunately. No fenders in the woods!
Sorry to hear that! Hopefully everything is ok now.

I just have a small fender on the front and I find it really stops the mud/grit/water getting into my eyes. Mainly just rocks and dirt on our trails around here though. If I ever see a stick I definitely try and ride around it.

kylnman

Jan 6, 2020
Virginia, USA
I use the Syncros on the Fox 36 on my Sentinel and like that it is a super clean and secure fit. The only thing I expect a front fender to do is eliminate or minimize how much water and mud is throw into my eyes. The Syncros does that just fine.

Unless a front fender is huge, it won’t really protect much. I’ve had sticks lodge up in mine but never stopped the bike. Sounds like that stick was big enough that it might have seized the tire even without a fender.
The fender gave it purchase, like the mouth of a Labrador retriever.

Strive77

Aug 5, 2020
Lancashire. England
I’ve got an rrp standard coming today. Looks the biz. Looking for a good rear guard that’ll attach around chainstays area. Not bothered about protecting me but more the motor and bearings. Anyone using one?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles