Didn't think I'd wear out brake disks - wrong!

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
Shows what I know! I really didn't expect to ever wear out my burly Magura 220 mm rotors. I disassembled the front rotor and pads to remove any glaze this morning (braking performance seems to have dipped recently) and decided to measure rotor thickness with my dial caliper for shiggles. One spot came in at 1.78 mm against a minimum spec of 1.80. The rest of the measuring spots were 1.79. Time to order another pair of rotors. :(

I wonder if I should take up a collection from all the hikers I meet on the steep downhills of my local ride.

(Elevation and distance in US Freedom Units!)

1655759336548.png

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
I trust you ask permission before throwing women any distance!
I'm a hot mess with units as I grew up in the UK before it became fully metric. I think of really small distances in mm, then cm, sometimes inches and feet when it's a bit longer, then meters / kilometres. I think of my height in feet and inches, my weight in kilos (too many of them!) I only went food shopping once metric was commonplace, even if not required, so I never got pounds and ounces. Thankfully.
I have an early memory of going into a new infant school where there were posters about the New Money, where one pound was 100 new pence. SO glad I never had to work with Pounds, Shillings and Pence!
Sorry, off topic. Now back to brake discs...

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I use Magura's 8.P pads. I like the way they work, so no motivation to try anything else.
I’m using the Magura Performance pads. They seem to be the mid-range choice for stopping vs noise.
However, I’m not sure where I fit on the periodic table of elements for atomic mass…but I’m probably slightly below average but lots of carbon.

Last edited:

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
I use Magura's 8.P pads. I like the way they work, so no motivation to try anything else.
Should you be curious about pads MTX (auto race background) make a ceramic mix pad I and my son’s riding group are using. The guys are bolder than the old man, riding lots of UCSC, Pacifica steeps using the MTX “Gold” pads, little to no fade, strong with good modulation, less wear on rotors than stock, sintered pads.

neilo

Jan 25, 2022
Australia
4 sets of pads sounds pretty good. My guess is, as well as which pads you use, it will also depend on the conditions you ride in - mud and dust will accelerate rotor wear.

I only got 2 sets of (resin) pads out of the 180mm Galfer that came on my Rise (and it was well under the minimum spec by then, not just a little). But Galfer's do seem to have less braking surface (more holes) than others. I've got a 203mm TRP on it now, will see if that lasts longer.

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
I've gone through probably 5+ sets of pads (resin) on shimano rotors and they still have plenty of life left in them. Think they're currently 0.17mm from worn which is basically new.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles