Di2 damage

Ozzie

Nov 10, 2019
Newcastle Australia
Hi guys. i have a e160 900e On my last ride I picked up a large stick in the rear derailleur. It bent the Hanger but I was able to straighten that.
The issue I have now is that the stick broke the plug on the end of the selector cable as well as the part where it plugs into the derailleur. I took the derailleur to the shop and they just said get a new derailleur off them for $500!
1. I'm amazed that an otherwise perfect derailleur can't be repaired
2. I have sourced a new one one line for $240 so that;s fine
3. I need to replace the electric cable, can I do it without taking the motor out.
4. Does anyone know what length of cable I need
Thanks
Oz

Ol ebiker

Oct 21, 2019
NSW Australia
One of the blokes I ride with damaged his cable a weeks or so ago I thought he said Cheekys replaced for $75 including parts but may hay been plus parts, so not a big job he is also in Newcastle.
I am sure YouTube would help you.
Gary

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
3. I need to replace the electric cable, can I do it without taking the motor out.

If you take the left side motor cover off (reveals the plugs), then you could carefully try to pull the new cable through, using the old cable taped to it. Or pull a couple of nylon threads through and then use these to pull the new one through with some jiggling and patience ..

If you need to drop the motor, you should be able to leave the rear bolts in place and let it just swing down on them.

Ozzie

Nov 10, 2019
Newcastle Australia
I also saw a diagram in a link provided on one of the other threads and it showed something like you described so I will have a go tomorrow and see how I go. Thanks

Ozzie

Nov 10, 2019
Newcastle Australia
An update on how things went with replacing my Di2 rear derailleur. I was able to buy a new Di2 derailleur and 750mm cable online for $300 and fitted them a few days ago. The new derailleur worked perfectly from scratch. Thanks Zimmerframe for the tips on getting the new cable installed.
In the meantime I had been attempting to pull my old derailleur apart and decided to put it back together and see if I could get it working with the new cable I had put on the bike. Guess what the guy in the bike shop hadn't pressed the plug home hard enough for it to click in when he tried it in the shop!
I'll leave the new derailleur on the bike and keep the old one as a spare.
Thanks All
Ozzie

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles