Design oversight

Shane

Sep 16, 2018
Adelaide
Ok bit of a rant here, and not giant specific, but I’m not sure whether other brands lack this feature.

Why can’t I ‘lock’ my ebike? It’s got a key. Why should the only function be to release the battery? Why not have the ability to turn the key the opposite way to separate the battery from the motor? Or even have another position to potentially ‘lock’ the pedals or maybe just disengage them from the motor so they spin free.

Maybe the last two would be more tricky but surely at the least there could be an option to not turn the bike on or something when ‘locked’.

It would be a pretty basic circuit so wouldn’t really add to the cost and is just a huge missed opportunity in my eyes.

Is there something I’m missing here?

/Rant over. Still love my E+1

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Probably because they know the piffling little locks they use to “secure” the battery can be defeated very easily, and fitting a decent one that can do what you are asking would add weight and expense that would make them look uncompetitive vs their competition. An electronic immobiliser might be better, but that would still add £££. I agree an effective security system of some type would be good, but can’t see it replacing old fashioned physical locks, and doubt it will happen anytime soon.

Last edited:

Mad Mark

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Nov 2, 2018
Burton on Trent
Something like keyless egnition, a card in your pack. When you move away from the bike it disables it......or when you fall off !

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Something like keyless egnition, a card in your pack. When you move away from the bike it disables it......or when you fall off !

Like a "dead man's handle". Love it!

If it could apply the brakes at the same time, it would avoid the unseemly sight of me running after the bike! :eek:

Shane

Sep 16, 2018
Adelaide
I agree that the lock is EASILY defeated in any workshop. But in regards to bike theft, it just meant that there is potentially one extra safety device that needs to be dealt with before a thief can make off with the bike. It doesn’t even have to be a super strong/secure lock, but if it means that a thief has to carry a drill around in addition to any other ‘tools of the trade’, then that’s at least a deterrent.

If they just added one more ‘lock’ position to the current lock just to disconnect the battery, it would be effectively cost/weight neutral. It’s not going to stop bike theft but if it makes it harder, I can’t see a downside.

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Like a "dead man's handle". Love it!

If it could apply the brakes at the same time, it would avoid the unseemly sight of me running after the bike! :eek:

they do have "dead mans Pedals " .if you think about it.....!!
I carry a heavy wearable Hiplock..seriously inconvenient but makes me feel better if I have to leave my bike unattended for any time.
Alternative would be a L O U D siren should any Pikey try to steal it.

Jun 10, 2018
United Kingdom
The thing is with security, it’s about having a balance of locks and insurance for it to be cost effective. There’s £150 motorbike locks that weigh 4kg, ground anchors and all manner of alarms out there, but are they cheaper than simply having insurance? Policies tend to be more reasonable if they require a decent lock for the payout of the premium.

There’s more questions out there about security: what about all you expensive bike stuff and tools? It’ll be raising that home insurance, or having everything locked away in bombproof wardrobes.

I think keeping things in the shed or a garage is frankly stupid if you don’t have everything locked on a ground anchor. Also people can work away at a garage or shed while you snore away.

If you force someone to actually hold you at gunpoint to take your stuff, that’s the best you can do.

Personally, I’ve gone a bit nuts and have 3 D locks, but that’s just me. If I could sleep with the bikes underneath my duvet, I probably would. Just too uncomfortable.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
My insurer tried to get me to carry a very heavy lock when on my bike. I told him that I paid an extra £1000 per kilo to get a lighter bike, so I wasn't about to start carrying a 3kg lock and chain! I might as well ride a cheaper and heavier bike and not need insurance. But that was before eBikes were on my horizon where they are both expensive and heavy.

Northumbrian

Sep 3, 2018
Rothbury
How about a code to dial in when powering up..... ( bit of a chew on and I would probs not use)
Or
A steering lock in the headstock .........my Montesa 4ride has a neat little lock under the bottom yoke, which would stop it getting ridden away.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles