Derailleurs and chains

Sonicfly190

Sep 30, 2020
C
Looking for different options .....what chains to use or what derailleurs are compatible......already broke my 3rd one....was somehow lucky and broke only inner cage.

Thanks

Rob

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Have you considered why, or how, you are breaking them? It isn't a common problem.

Shimano has an emtb specific drivetrain but it is still early days, so it isn't known if it is better / stronger.

Last edited:

Sonicfly190

Sep 30, 2020
C
Thank's for your reply, yesterday the problem was a small rock got caught in the chain and broke the inner cage...looked at my older systems and they all broke at the same spot ....looking closer at the inner cage I noticed that it was worn thin...strangely this doesn't happen on my manual bike...but it's a 10 speed. Anyway the shop is getting the part next week.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
the problem was a small rock got caught in the chain and broke the inner cage
That is so bizarre! I used to have this happen with a trials bike that I was playing around with, but nothing else. The little pebbles (around 5-8mm) would drop off the tyre onto the chain. The tyre was a tight fit, not aggressive and not soft compound - a holy roller 24"; kind of aimed at bmx. I came up with a few ideas for that bike, but stopped riding it. Perhaps you can figure out why this is happening with your setup, and therefore avoid the issue? I imagine I could if I had your bike. Some sort of little deflector guard made out of plastic (ice cream container) and zip ties? Consider - the rocks are probably falling onto the chain from the tyre just near swing arm yoke (where the swingarm does a u turn). It's also possible that it only happens in your low gears - although that's a guess.

Sonicfly190

Sep 30, 2020
C
Thanks again for your reply, this little rock gravel was only the first time it happened , before it was a stick of wood... learned to stop pedalling when there are loose sticks on the ground.

Cheers

Rob

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles