Dentdale ..26.6.21

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
At some time in the summer after Boris' covid roadmap runs it course ( probably Saturday 26.6.21)..I'm hoping to start a ride from Dent .
I've done this route a couple of times before ( never on an ebike ) and its a cracker ...
I know at least a couple of mates who are keen ..but would any Yorks / Lancs / Cumbria riders have any ( provisional ) interest in joining us ?

paul-g

Dec 27, 2019
yorkshire
in Cornwall in June not sure whether i`ll be back
for that date, will have to check.
one question Hodge
are we allowed to bring a camera? as you have
exclusive contractual rights.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
Yep, count me in, there's a few routes around that area that I've looked at.
That's great..this particular ride actually starts in the village of Dent and has some big climbs ..but equally some great descents..
A few " touch stones" for you if you like a map ...this using the Landranger series ..
Start : Car park Dent village
Dent Station
Monkeybeck Grains
Dent Fell
Wold Fell
Gayle Moor
Ribblehead
Winterscales
Little Dale
Dale's High Way
Great Wold
..back into Dentdale.
optional depending on battery level and how much is left in your legs ..
Scow/ High Nun House ..the bridleway climb up onto the byway ( could by pretty chewed up by motor bikes ) to drop back into Dent on the b/w following Flinter Gill..
Paul ..Cameras are allowed but any pics must go through a strict vetting process before posting ..just to make sure none are as good as / better than mine ..???

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
This should more or less cover the route ..
The first pic covers the start
& finish ..
Screenshot_20210416-063958_ViewRanger.jpg

Screenshot_20210416-064020_ViewRanger.jpg

Screenshot_20210416-064035_ViewRanger.jpg

Screenshot_20210416-064203_ViewRanger.jpg

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Nothing set in stone ..but will " firm- up " nearer the time ..?
Looks about a 20 mile loop plotting it on the OSMaps site, I can't see an obvious path to get from the Dales High Way to Nun House Outrake apart from up the road and then south on the Slack road but that 'extra' loop into Dent only adds 3 miles. :)

It's a fantastic part of the country to explore, I've cycled bits of the route; here's the path from Rough Gill Brows to where it crosses over the Ribblehead line;

IMG_20190623_131123.jpg

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
Looks about a 20 mile loop plotting it on the OSMaps site, I can't see an obvious path to get from the Dales High Way to Nun House Outrake apart from up the road and then south on the Slack road but that 'extra' loop into Dent only adds 3 miles. :)

It's a fantastic part of the country to explore, I've cycled bits of the route; here's the path from Rough Gill Brows to where it crosses over the Ribblehead line;

View attachment 58743
Yep ..totally agree ..its only the last " loop" that I haven't done before ..but I seem to remember taking the car up to check out the by-way and found it to be very rutted ( if I remember right ..)
..and yeah it is a road climb to Nun House ..

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
Myself & EMF did a ride out of Kielder today ..which had almost identical stats as this ride ..there is a bit of a write up ( & stats) in Pic of the Day if anyone is interested ..

Pennine

May 2, 2020
Yorkshire
I did a fair amount of your ride yesterday (20 miles) but started from Ribblehead so missed out Dent village. We took the Whernside/Craven Way BW into Dentdale but turned right (left for Dent) & headed up past Dent station. Right along Monkeybeck BW to Arten Gill then up & over Wold Fell (very fast descent to Newby Head). Back to Ribblehead via Black Rake BW. The stone pitched path by Force Gill is a very steep techy climb (with Whernside walkers) so walked some of it. If you glance right there is a faint line through the grass which is rideable to the gravel path. When the gravel ends (walkers go left) the path changes to narrow & rocky. Again, if this gets tedious, look right & you'll spot a faint line which allows a blast to the gate.
Great run down from Boot of the Wold (very dry). Superb views riding round Gt Knoutberry & Wold Fell. Check Ribblehead/Dentdale Ride for more photos of the ride.

P1180849-01.jpeg

P1180872.JPG

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
Good stuff..I've done the route a couple of times ..but never dry & dusty ..so hopefully you haven't used up the full allocation for this year ?
Looking forward to riding it again and meeting a few of the good folk on this forum ..
Glad you had a good day ..
Nice pics ?

Pennine

May 2, 2020
Yorkshire
Good stuff..I've done the route a couple of times ..but never dry & dusty ..so hopefully you haven't used up the full allocation for this year ?
Looking forward to riding it again and meeting a few of the good folk on this forum ..
Glad you had a good day ..
Nice pics ?
s'
Yep, done it quite a few times & this was the driest I've seen it :D Bear in mind June is the heaviest month for 'Yorkshire 3 Peaks' walking groups so you'll be dodging them for 3 miles or so after Ribblehead.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Just seen this too. Personally I’m up in the Cairngorms that weekend but you should all have a cracking day out in a fantastic area of the Yorkshire Dales. Have fun ??

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Cheers mate ..as I'm sure you will up there ..where abouts are you headed..

Staying in some glamping pods (with electricity to charge the batteries) in a nice remote quiet valley literally 5 miles north of Ballater. Stayed there last summer but was on the motorbike. Driving this time and taking the bikes (as long as my bloody bike rack arrives in time which has been on order forever!)

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
Staying in some glamping pods (with electricity to charge the batteries) in a nice remote quiet valley literally 5 miles north of Ballater. Stayed there last summer but was on the motorbike. Driving this time and taking the bikes (as long as my bloody bike rack arrives in time which has been on order forever!)
If the weather is nice and dry Heartbreak Ridge ( Ballater) is worth doing ( so they tell me ) ..I did it in mist & rain and thought it was just OK..

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
Love the area and rode around there extensively whilst I lived in Aberdeen in the 80s/90s. Head up to Loch Muick and do the Glen Afric route or head up Lochnagar. Also Scolty Hill at Banchory (back towards Aberdeen) has some good riding (well I assume it still has). Beautiful part of the world...

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
As we are just about to enter June ..thought I would give this a bump ..First of all to firm up the date : 26th June 2021 ..meet at the village car park in Dent 10.00am for a prompt 10.30 start .
I'm still going ..Im thinking that if I take a roll call about a week away from the ride ( surely all interested will know if they can make it or not by then ? ) ..so between Saturday 19.6.21 to Wednesday 23.6.21 to firm up your commitment ...
I will then message my mobile number to all who are coming in case of any drama on the day ( so we aren't hanging around if your car has blown up / wife's just gone into labour etc .)..
Looking forward to it ..?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles