Dengfu E06

Elio

Jul 8, 2021
Ayrshire
Hi .. new to forum from Ayrshire scotland , just ordered a built dengfu E06 fat bike to replace my bafang rear drive fat bike , has anyone any experience buying direct from dengfu or has anyone bought a full built bike from them

Jon A

Apr 24, 2021
WA/MT, US
I ordered a complete E06 from them a couple of months ago, it should be here (US) any day. I'll know a lot more when it gets here. I got the "Economical" build as it's all that was available at the time and I just wanted a complete bike as quickly as possible. I'll be doing a lot of upgrades over the next year or so.

Elio

Jul 8, 2021
Ayrshire
I ordered a complete E06 from them a couple of months ago, it should be here (US) any day. I'll know a lot more when it gets here. I got the "Economical" build as it's all that was available at the time and I just wanted a complete bike as quickly as possible. I'll be doing a lot of upgrades over the next year or so.
Let me know what you think of it once you get it , would love to see some pics too please , I ordered the standard one but will be a couple months before I get it , ordered spare battery too??

Jon A

Apr 24, 2021
WA/MT, US
Will do. I actually think the standard build is probably the best value--it comes with Sram drivetrain and a dropper but only costs a bit more. But I'll be replacing all that stuff anyway. How much was the extra battery?

Elio

Jul 8, 2021
Ayrshire
Will do. I actually think the standard build is probably the best value--it comes with Sram drivetrain and a dropper but only costs a bit more. But I'll be replacing all that stuff anyway. How much was the extra battery?
430 dollars , do you know what handlebar computer comes with them , can’t seem to see info

Jon A

Apr 24, 2021
WA/MT, US
The only display I've been able to identify from pictures is the G961, but it's not clear what build that is from and it may be obsolete if they've switched to CANbus. I was originally planning to use an aftermarket display (Eggrider) so I didn't really care what mine would come with. But if my bike turns out to be CANbus the Eggrider won't work so I may be shopping around if I don't like what comes stock. Hopefully I'll know more soon.

From some of the pictures, it looks like I see a lever for the dropper on the handlebars, but I can't be sure.

Elio

Jul 8, 2021
Ayrshire
The only display I've been able to identify from pictures is the G961, but it's not clear what build that is from and it may be obsolete if they've switched to CANbus. I was originally planning to use an aftermarket display (Eggrider) so I didn't really care what mine would come with. But if my bike turns out to be CANbus the Eggrider won't work so I may be shopping around if I don't like what comes stock. Hopefully I'll know more soon.

From some of the pictures, it looks like I see a lever for the dropper on the handlebars, but I can't be sure.
Let me know details once your arrive , yes pictures and I found are very sketchy , looked like a zoom suspension seat on the standard one but hopefully I’m wrong ??

Elio

Jul 8, 2021
Ayrshire
Yes it’s a dropper seat , but doesn’t know what display it comes with …..from melody at dengfu

Elio

Jul 8, 2021
Ayrshire

Any sign of your dengfu yet … really interested on seeing proper pictures and seeing what your opinion is on it ???

Jon A

Apr 24, 2021
WA/MT, US
OK, you asked for it! ;) Yesterday it rained for the first time in about a month, so naturally that was New Bike Day! Initial order was on April 7th, it shipped May 18th--I asked for a custom color which may have slowed that down a bit--and showed up yesterday. I got no useful tracking information the whole time in transit, when the shipping company called to schedule delivery, that was the first thing I heard.

IMG_20210720_094950642.jpg

Seemed to be well packed.

IMG_20210720_095502982.jpg

To your biggest questions, the display it came with was the DPC18, which is much nicer than the G961:

IMG_20210720_132225309.jpg

IMG_20210720_132240032.jpg

It's a beautiful display, and offers quite a few options:

IMG_20210720_134523210.jpg

It's a bit big for my tastes and so enticing to look at it's a wonder I didn't get run over by a bus on my first ride as I couldn't stop staring at it!

Most happily for me, despite the internet saying all Bafang Ultra's would be Canbus starting in 2021, mine is UART which means I can program the motor with free software and the Eggrider will work (which lets me program the motor with my phone, will log and graph data of rides, etc). I don't know which yours will be, but regardless one nice thing about Bafang is there are tons of different displays available so one can choose what suits his tastes--and they're pretty cheap.

Here's what it looked like out of the box, 100% stock:

IMG_20210720_150135225_HDR.jpg

And that's right, even though mine wasn't supposed to, it came with a dropper! It's 100mm and you can see the lever above. It works fine, but for me the 18" frame is on the big side and one of the flaws if the Zoom dropper is it has an obnoxiously long insertion length for a mere 100mm dropper--in the pic above it's lowered as far as it will go. Here it is compared with a Loam 150mm I thankfully had on a shelf:

IMG_20210721_151348333.jpg

So on the 18" frame, the 150mm PNW Loam dropper stuffs down almost completely:

IMG_20210721_160411922.jpg

The bike's a lot easier to handle when my feet can touch the ground at a stop! I was pretty happy it came with the dropper mainly since I didn't have to route the cable when I added one--I wasn't looking forward to that.

So far, I've installed the Eggrider and re-arranged things a bit to clean up the cockpit:

IMG_20210721_134731756_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210721_134713097_HDR.jpg

Also swapped on a PNW bar and stem, though the stock stuff wasn't bad. I was happy it came with a pretty short stem instead of the long ones shown on Dengfu's site. I also threw on some big Maxxis FBF/FBR 4.8's I had laying around:

IMG_20210721_135503806_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210721_135512914_HDR.jpg

Another pleasant surprise--I was told due to a cell shortage my battery would only be 12.8 Ah...but it looks like I got the full 14:

IMG_20210720_123037230.jpg

So I got a lot of pleasant surprises: Nicer display, UART, 14 Ah batt, dropper, decent/usable bar and stem, taller axle to crown than I was expecting so it can handle a decent length fork.... I would say the biggest disappointment was the fork itself--I expected it'd be cheap on an "economy build," but one of those inverted things? I hate those! Definitely a thow-away item. Hopefully my Mastodon gets here soon!

Other things: It came with Sram Level brakes with 180 rotors which are OK. I'll upgrade eventually I'm sure, but for now I'll throw some 200mm rotors on there and call it good. The wheels are heavy and cheap, but they work. I'll keep them as spares when my carbon 27.5's show up.

The S-ride 9S 11-50T seems to be working OK now, it did need some adjustment. It's not high end but I think with enough adjustment it would be functional enough. While it's cheap, I'm sort of intrigued with a wide range 9S for E use. If this was my only fatbike I'd consider upgrading to one of the Box 9 speed setups when the stock stuff wears out. But, since I already have a manual fatbike with 12S Sram and I want to be able to swap wheels I'll be throwing that on this bike soon, even if 12 gears aren't really needed on an Ebike.

As far as riding impressions, I obviously don't have much time on it and haven't taken it offroad yet, but it is a blast (even with the crappy fork). The lower assist levels are very powerful, but you can still get a workout if you like on the lowest one. The higher assist levels are insane--for when you want to get somewhere fast or have really steep hills to climb.

Hopefully that's enough to whet your whistle for the time being. I'm pretty sure you'll like it, even when swapping as many parts as I am it's one heck of a value.

Elio

Jul 8, 2021
Ayrshire
Aw cheers for the heads up , looks great to me , on a flat road what would it get to on full power pedalling , thanks for the pics and write up ????

Jon A

Apr 24, 2021
WA/MT, US
Well, so far the top speed I've hit was 32 MPH, but that's just messing around, I haven't actually tried a "top speed run" yet. I hit 30 MPH on a ride yesterday...going uphill. :D Those numbers are from my Garmin GPS, not the display. It's best not to be looking at the display when riding that fast. It's hard to say, but I would venture to guess somewhere between 35 and 40 MPH depending upon your tires and how much you tuck out of the wind.

Elio

Jul 8, 2021
Ayrshire
Well, so far the top speed I've hit was 32 MPH, but that's just messing around, I haven't actually tried a "top speed run" yet. I hit 30 MPH on a ride yesterday...going uphill. :D Those numbers are from my Garmin GPS, not the display. It's best not to be looking at the display when riding that fast. It's hard to say, but I would venture to guess somewhere between 35 and 40 MPH depending upon your tires and how much you tuck out of the wind.
Cheers ,, appreciate the pics etc , no doubt I’ll be hounding you for more info , keep me updated on your progress with the bike ?????

Jon A

Apr 24, 2021
WA/MT, US
While I still haven't tried very hard yet, this will give you some insight into top pedaling speed capability with the stock drivetrain:

Maxxis4.8_11T_40T.jpg

Keep in mind that's with the Maxxis 4.8's which are taller than the stock 26X4's. If you're after higher speeds for more road use, you might want to up the chainring size. I forgot to measure the clearance of the stock 40T, but there should be enough clearance to go a bit bigger. As you can see, I'm spinning the cranks pretty hard. That was a very slight downslope IIRC but not sustained, I think the motor had plenty of power to go faster.

For my use, I went the other way for climbing insane hills offroad and having "enough" top speed:

IMG_20210727_161623358.jpg

A Christini 104mm adapter (Fatbike version) and a 36T chainring.

Here's the bike currently:

DSC_3575.JPG

DSC_3569.JPG

12 Speed on, along with 200mm rotors:

DSC_3563.JPG

The BIG upgrade is the Mastodon fork. I found the stock fork to have an A-C of somewhere between 550-560mm with a quick tapemeasure measurement so I set this fork to 561mm. With the Mastodon Pro at that height you can get 130-150mm of travel depending upon how much tire clearance you need.

In case you're curious about weight, the stock bike was 69.5 lbs (31.6 Kg). Here's where it's at now:

IMG_20210726_031621632.jpg

So, I've removed about 4 lbs so far. Big hitters were tubes--still running them, but 2 Maxxis tubes were nearly a pound lighter than the Innova tubes it came with. The Mastodon was about 1.4 lbs lighter than the stock fork. The Christini adapter and 36T chainring was 13 oz lighter than the stock combo. The rest is an oz here and there--display, different seat, etc. When the carbon wheels get here, with lighter tires run tubeless, with a GX cassette instead of the NX on these, it should drop a few more getting closer to 60 lbs. I figure if I can get within 5-6 lbs of a typical Cheeb build, that's pretty darn reasonable for a bike with big-ass tires and so much power.

Don't worry, I'm not going weight-weenie on this thing. I think anybody wanting to do that probably shouldn't choose an Ultra equipped bike. That said, one of the reasons I chose this bike was to have a more "reasonable" weight. Most of the Ultra bikes sold seem to all be 80 lbs+.

It's getting better...the Mastodon hugely improves ride quality and I feel so much safer at 30 MPH+. The cheap upgrade to the brakes make them feel pretty darn good, I'm always amazed at how fatbikes can brake--so much traction! The Sram setup is nice as well, though 12 gears is more than needed, the system works well. After some tuning on the motor I'm getting surprisingly good range/economy even in the higher assist levels, even with those ridiculous (for pavement) tires. I'll need some time offroad on some serious hills before I get too excited about that though.

So far, I'm pretty darn happy.

Elio

Jul 8, 2021
Ayrshire
Cheers for the info , mines will be used for road riding to soft trails so hopefully will not need new forks , I currently run with a 52tooth ring and suits me fine ,hopefully the e06 can also be fitted with one , maybe try and find someone local to me who can reprogram it for me if need be , can you tell me the physical size of the battery as I will be looking into how to carry a spare one with me

Last edited:

Jon A

Apr 24, 2021
WA/MT, US
Yeah, a Mastodon is definitely overkill for your uses. You should have clearance for a bigger chainring than stock, but I'm not sure if 52 will work--they're cheap, I'd get a couple and see how big you can go.

If your bike is UART, programming is easy and you should be able to find somebody to help you out. If it's canbus, you might need to wait a bit. There are people working on it:

However, for your use, I wouldn't be so concerned about programming right now. What I did changed the output curve to more of a eMTB or Magictour shape, making each assist mode more dynamic which is what I want for more challenging trail riding. But it doesn't get better economy by violating the laws of physics--it's basically using less power under light pedaling, and when it's using more power that's because I'm pedaling much harder for a given assist mode! For road use, you may actually be happier with the stock Bafang programming. It's still a torque system so it isn't an on/off switch like a cadence sensor bike, but it ramps up to max power for each assist level with less pedaling pressure which may be what you want if you aren't looking for a workout.

The battery is 367X71X83mm.

Elio

Jul 8, 2021
Ayrshire
Yeah, a Mastodon is definitely overkill for your uses. You should have clearance for a bigger chainring than stock, but I'm not sure if 52 will work--they're cheap, I'd get a couple and see how big you can go.

If your bike is UART, programming is easy and you should be able to find somebody to help you out. If it's canbus, you might need to wait a bit. There are people working on it:

However, for your use, I wouldn't be so concerned about programming right now. What I did changed the output curve to more of a eMTB or Magictour shape, making each assist mode more dynamic which is what I want for more challenging trail riding. But it doesn't get better economy by violating the laws of physics--it's basically using less power under light pedaling, and when it's using more power that's because I'm pedaling much harder for a given assist mode! For road use, you may actually be happier with the stock Bafang programming. It's still a torque system so it isn't an on/off switch like a cadence sensor bike, but it ramps up to max power for each assist level with less pedaling pressure which may be what you want if you aren't looking for a workout.

The battery is 367X71X83mm.
Cheers for the info, how would you know if it’s canbus ?

Elio

Jul 8, 2021
Ayrshire
Do you know how big a chainring will fit…looking at your picture there’s not a lot of room, I was thinking a 46 maybe

Jon A

Apr 24, 2021
WA/MT, US
Sorry for the delay; been on a trip with limited internet time...testing the E06 in its natural habitat!

IMG_20210807_162339126.jpg

IMG_20210807_163009846_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210807_162224728.jpg

It is one impressive machine for covering a lot of rough ground really fast. And climbing things many ebikes would struggle with mightily.

I haven't looked for fitted graphics. I think there's a decent chance a 44 or 46 tooth chainring will fit, but I can't say for sure without actually having them on hand and trying.

So far I think the 36T is a pretty good choice for me--I'm able to climb 15% grades without motor power much more easily than I thought I'd be able to. Obviously not as easily as my manual bikes that weigh half as much and use 28-30T chainrings, but it's doable in case I ever run out of battery. And I can pretty easily pedal to 35+ MPH when the conditions allow for it. If you don't mind using the throttle the motor will keep spinning much faster than you can pedal to take you to even higher speeds. With a 44T or 46T I don't think you'll have a problem reaching speeds faster than one should probably ever go on a bike. :eek:

Last edited:

Elio

Jul 8, 2021
Ayrshire
Cheers for the feedback again, I was thinking of a bashguard for the motor too?…. Bike looks great in the photos . Will be another 6 weeks for mine to arrive I would think

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles