Dengfu E05

propofoldream

Jun 9, 2021
Pittsburgh
Hey e-bikers,

I wasn’t able to find much info on the Dengfu E05 frame, but about 3 months ago I made the leap and purchased the E05 frame with the Bafang m600 motor. Just wanted to share my experience and some of my thoughts on the frame and build for anybody on the fence. (As a note, I was actually looking to build the E10 frame, but Dengfu refused to sell it to me since I was located in the US.)

I live in the northeast US and ride on mostly single track trails. I was looking for a top of the line 150-160mm full suspension e-bike, but also didn’t want to shell out $10,000+. So, that’s where my DIY Dengfu build story begins.

Now, the E05 frame is advertised on Dengfu as a 120mm front suspension frame with about the same in rear travel. I wasn’t thrilled about that travel, and began pouring through internet forums to see what I could find on this frame. Long story short, I couldn’t find much (hence this post). Then I turned to geometry calculators. I took all the measurements provided on the Dengfu website and began plugging in the numbers. I compared the Dengfu frame geometry to those of other “brand name” manufacturers and found that the frame was actually quite similar to many of the longer travel frames. Mocking it up as a 150mm front suspension frame looked just about right for what I was looking for. That’s when I took a leap of faith and went all in on the carbon fiber Chinese frame. I’m 6’0” and opted for the 20” frame. All in all, it took about 2 months to arrive. As many have already stated, the quality of the frame was quite impressive. I opted to paint it myself and began putting it all together.

The parts list is as follows:

Dengfu E05 frame
Bafang m600 motor + battery
Rockshox Lyrik Ultimate 150mm
Rockshox RCT Ultimate 185x55mm
SRAM GX Eagle 12 speed cassette 10-50t
SRAM GX Eagle rear derailleur
SRAM GX 12 speed shifter
Shimano 8120 4 piston brakes
DT Swiss M1700 27.5+ wheelset
CrankBrothers Doubleshot 3 pedals
Ergon GE1 Evo Factory grips
Ergon Enduro seat
CrankBrothers Highline 7 150mm Dropper Post
ENVE M6 780mm handlebars

Guys and gals, this bike is perfect for me. I’ve literally never had more fun on a mountain bike. It’s just shy of 50lbs when fully equipped (which actually weighs less than some of the best branded ebikes on the market). I thought it would feel heavy on the trail, but it’s surprisingly nimble and even takes the local downhill terrain park quite well. The geometry of this frame easily accepts the 150mm front travel and could probably even get away with a 160mm if you desired. I had Dengfu ship my frame with the 185x55 rear linkage (184x44 is the standard) and I’m glad I did. The stock bafang m600 motor is plenty powerful for what I ride. I set it on level 2 and never have to change it. I still get a fantastic “workout” but I’m never completely out of breath like I would have been on my non ebike after a long slow climb. I can also cover about 3x as much trail at much more willing to go “explore” a section of trail I haven’t been down before (knowing I can always climb my way back out without being totally exhausted).

Anyways, I hope this review will help anyone who is considering the E05… don’t be afraid to go for it. I will admit this is the only ebike I’ve owned, but I’m extremely happy with it. It’s only been about a month since I’ve had it all put together, and I’ve already put about 200 miles on it! ?

D2AC595F-202E-419D-BA71-516AEC9F26C7.jpeg

48A0DE39-C9DF-42D6-809F-BA936AA0D895.jpeg

6118E2AB-D6BA-4928-9807-5361A546FD1E.jpeg

3268A704-82DC-4122-A289-5EE6DEE36030.jpeg

8681B982-AE9C-423C-965B-F3C9C911C38A.jpeg

bisby

Jun 10, 2021
Spain
great construction propofoldream, I have also ordered this model from frame to Melody, I hope to receive it next month. there is little information about this frame. Is the battery 48V 14Ah?

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Great stuff. In the end was there a big saving over a comparable store bought bike? New forks & shock or good 2nd hand?

Schurrich

Jun 13, 2021
Germany
Hello,

I have also a Dengfu E05....and my derailleur hanger is broken no idea where I can a new one...
Could you help?

propofoldream

Jun 9, 2021
Pittsburgh
Great stuff. In the end was there a big saving over a comparable store bought bike? New forks & shock or good 2nd hand?
Doug, I didn't track all my expenses to the dollar, but I think I'm just under 4k all in (all new components). It could certainly be built for less, but I did not want to sacrifice on certain things. I think a comparable carbon fiber "name brand" ebike would be closer to 8k, if not more.

Skliar

Jun 16, 2021
Toronto
Good bike, I'm also going to assemble it on this frame and I have a few questions: what is the quality of standard painting and whether there will be enough space for a shock absorber like yours at 29 wheels

gbrecke

Jun 28, 2021
Kent, WA
Greetings! I have an E05, I'm fairly certain I did not receive the right rear axle and axle nut for this frame, and I'm not confident my supplier knows which one is right. My axle nut is smooth and round and can not be gripped or keyed to tighten the axle assembly. If another E05 owner could share what they have for an axle and axle nut, I'd be grateful. It's frustrating to finally have it all together and only look at it. The derailer hanger I have on the bike has a hole that is greater than 18.8mm, this allows me to put the nut I received into the hole big end first. It's possible I might be able to operate with an axle with a lever that cams over to tighten the axle, but the big question in my mind is what did others receive? Again, I'd be grateful for any help.

20210814_163036[1].jpg

20210816_113732[1].jpg

20210816_185907[1].jpg

Alan Simpson

Feb 11, 2022
Altrincham
Hi guys. I am about to buy/make the Dengfu E05, but having reviewed various you tube vids, I am thinking of going down the M500 motor route (M510 not available yet...) I am wanting to do this to get a smoother an more natural feel. Any advice?

Kucko

Oct 23, 2021
Slovakia
Last week I received a pre-assembled ebike E06 with 26 "fat tires (the frame is almost the same as the E05) with an M620 1000W motor and a 14Ah battery for € 3,150. I already have an E10 assembled and that's why I compared it. and the start is brutal! The ride is more comfortable thanks to the thick tires, but the components are not as good as my E10, which I put in for 4000 €. Too bad the weaker 14Ah battery on such a powerful motor. They could put at least 17.5Ah there as with the E10. This is how the percentage of battery goes down fast ...

IMG_20220212_155550.jpg

IMG_20220212_155812.jpg

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
Hello ebikers.

K1 eBikes has designed small, portable and simple K1 CAN Monitor & Speed Unlocker - no need computer or mess with BESST. Works ONLY with Bafang motors with CAN bus (green connector to display with "house" shape 5 pin connector).

For more info check the following link:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31...

How to unlock speed:
https://youtu.be/6z3TzEqNWsQ

If you interested, send an email to [email protected], will answer any questions and will send user manual.
K1 CAN Monitor is determined for testing purpose only and is not waterproof.

CANMon2.JPG

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles