delete

TheRealPoMo

Apr 18, 2020
Queensland
Rewarded?
The part I have to wonder is do they actually think they look good? About 3% can pull it off - all females. IMHO.
Cotton work cargo shorts for me but I do have a poly MTB jersey (in dark subdued colour) because I sweat. Alot.
Roadies do alot of stuff I just shake my head at.

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
I tend NOT to wear knee and elbow pads UNLESS I am cycling. I also wear padded shorts/longs as my 'undercarriage' can be a little delicate after 20 miles of pounding! (phnarr, phnarr!)

Most of it doesn't match though...

Skiing is the same (or used to be) with people rocking up in all matching expensive clothing, new skis, and then parking themselves at the café for most of the day - 'social skiers' we called them. Most couldn't ski if their lives depended on it. For us it was first lift up, last lift up and as many runs as possible (usually as fast as possible! ;-) )

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
I'm from California and maybe we are super laid back but when we go riding, we just wear regular athletic style clothing. We don't have specific tops or bottoms made for cycling.

It seems cycling is the only sport where its socially acceptable to dress head to toe like a professional.

I know if I showed up to the basketball court head to toe in the Los Angeles Lakers gear, or the ice hockey rink with full on matching everything, I'd get laughed out.

I went on a hinge date, where this person showed up dressed like Lance Armstrong on the mountain. And I just had my regular athletic clothing on. Couldn't help but get the vibe the person was a little judgey. And also they ghosted me.

Still not buying cycling specific apparel. I literally don't understand what cycling specific apparel is supposed to accomplish other than make you look like you are about to go on a cycling ride.

I've been riding regular clothing for 20+ years
and I've literally never come across a situation where i thought to myself "gee I wish I were wearing cycling specific apparel right now"

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.
???...
says the person living in California ( and no you're not super laid back although I'm sure you would like to think you are)..what do you get there a couple of drops of rain a year ?
I wear MTB "specific" bike wear because the design & fabrics keep me warm in the winter when it's pissing down with rain or snowing or blowing a hoolie.. if I was dressed in " athletic gear " (whatever that is.. ) I would probably die from hypothermia ..still I bet you look right at home at the athletic track or in the gym ...as for being judgemental..try re-reading your post and take an inward look ..

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
???...
says the person living in California ( and no you're not super laid back although I'm sure you would like to think you are)..what do you get there a couple of drops of rain a year ?
I wear MTB "specific" bike wear because the design & fabrics keep me warm in the winter when it's pissing down with rain or snowing or blowing a hoolie.. if I was dressed in " athletic gear " (whatever that is.. ) I would probably die from hypothermia ..still I bet you look right at home at the athletic track or in the gym ...as for being judgemental..try re-reading your post and take an inward look ..

what? You mean stuff designed for mountain biking in various conditions performs best mountain biking in said condition!?

the world truly is a messed up place ?

tomato paste

Mar 18, 2019
Germany
???...

I think this is fair. Many US West Coasters like to say they are 'laid back' right before spouting some up tight judgemental BS ?

It's not their fault they live in a bubble, so we shouldn't fault them.

ULEWZ

Nov 27, 2018
Northridge, Ca
I think this is fair. Many US West Coasters like to say they are 'laid back' right before spouting some up tight judgemental BS ?

It's not their fault they live in a bubble, so we shouldn't fault them.
I live in So. Cal and the people are very judgmental, and far from laid back. There is so much political BS in this state it hurts my head. Oh, I wear a mountain bike specific shirt and pants because they breath and are comfortable, not to look fashionable.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Why would I choose to not wear clothing that is designed for the task, no matter how good it might look? I get rewarded on a ride by wearing cycling specific clothing that is comfortable and unimpeded by being too hot/cold, or too wet, or being chafed, or that failed to protect me from injury when I had my involuntary dismount or brushed past those nettles or brambles.

For me, form follows function. So I wear breathable and wicking layers that have a Durable Water Repellent coating that keeps me dry whether I'm sweating and/or being rained upon. I have a backpack so that I can carry the layers I might need (a waterproof?) or no longer need depending upon the weather. It also carries drink that I will need and any tools, spares, food and stuff I might need. I wear protective items depending upon what I'm riding. So a specific MTB helmet (not a hockey or a football helmet) and MTB gloves all the time. Knee & shin and elbow guards mostly all the time, extra padding some of the time. Unsurprisingly, specific MTB shoes really do work well on a bike (SPD or flats).

All this stuff, helmet, gloves, shoes, clothes, protective equipment, backpack etc all serve to make my MTB trip more pleasurable and safer. It is not worn as a fashion statement, or even as an anti-fashion statement! But if I'm just tootling around the village, then the only thing I wear that is MTB specific is the helmet.

Form follows function yes, but I don't wear stuff that is matchy-matchy. What I wear is stuff that has stood the test of time, which is why I tend to look a bit grungy. I don't like buying bike clothing from a manufacturer that I have not used before; will it work, will it do what I want it to do? Although I have a flame orange waterproof (it was the only colour they made), I normally draw the line at violent or bilious colours. But I don't really care what shade of the spectrum I'm wearing. Although "dull" normally works well. :)

PS: I have a few tee shirts that I wear on my bike that are not MTB specific. They are breathable and wicking, which are a common requirement for many sports I'm sure. But if they were MTB specific, the sleeves would be a bit longer to cover the gap to the elbow guards.

Last edited:

Staff member
Subscriber
Jul 15, 2020
FORUM
Leaving thread as there are also some relevant regional points which it's easy to overlook if they don't apply to you. Don't think this is where @bikechiq was really going with this and it's probably gone off topic a bit, but hopefully all the comments can be read in the light hearted manner they appear to have been written in.

Is this ok with you @bikechiq ?

I'm sure @The Hodge can supply images of @The EMF in his athletic mankini to display some of the downsides of the incorrect attire.

Staff member
Subscriber
Jul 15, 2020
FORUM
I should add. We all "take a risk" posting our opinions on a public forum. We shouldn't ever take it personally because not everyone agrees.

Not everyone will !

I hope @bikechiq realises that and just because the responses aren't what she'd hoped for, she'll see other sides and understand and we all learn from these experiences. They only become negative if you choose to see it that way.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
So @bikechiq is a female!
Now I look at the name I can see that it is a version of "bike chick". There are so many weird names on here that I never gave a thought to what gender the poster was. What I did think was that it was a version of "bike chic", ie chic as in smart and snappy dresser. Given the subject matter it seemed a reasonable interpretation. In any case none of the responses were sexist in any way.

Nobody was rude. Apart from responses not agreeing, I can't see a problem. She must be a bit sensitive.

Muzza

Jul 3, 2020
New Zealand
Back to the subject.
Unfortunately, I believe i have fallen into the " knob at the park who thinks he's a pro dressed like that " category ! :LOL:
I just feel, Look the Part - Feel the Part seems to boost my confidence as weird as that might sound ?

Back to the subject.
Unfortunately, I believe i have fallen into the " knob at the park who thinks he's a pro dressed like that " category ! :LOL:
I just feel, Look the Part - Feel the Part seems to boost my confidence as weird as that might sound ?
I agree with that, but I have slowly started to upgrade my protection rather than clothes. Got a better helmet, better knee pads e t c. That in combination with a "I ❤ NY"-tshirt must make me look like I know what I'm doing, right (I don't...)? ;)

tomato paste

Mar 18, 2019
Germany
I'm a CA native, I know my people. I took it as bike-chique, "cool", as well. But does it matter? Men's and women's wear in MTB fashion is all the same: 'fascist black'.

I posted about MTB fascist fashion a while back, those kitted out in all black with full face helmets and armor, all they are missing are some guns.

But honestly since I've chosen to go full MTB fascist myself I can say that it's generally useful kit the more aggressive your riding becomes.

Last edited:

Muzza

Jul 3, 2020
New Zealand
I agree with that, but I have slowly started to upgrade my protection rather than clothes. Got a better helmet, better knee pads e t c. That in combination with a "I ❤ NY"-tshirt must make me look like I know what I'm doing, right (I don't...)? ;)

Yes, I have an aggressive black outfit that sports a full face helmet & knee pads.
Then there is the racey red & white outfit with open face helmet for the more sedate rides.
Hope the OP hasn't been put off the forum with the conflicting opinions?
It could have been worse, Gary could have come in all guns blazing :LOL:

tomato paste

Mar 18, 2019
Germany
Are you seriously telling me there are people over there that don't have guns? I thought the government were handing them out with cereal.

Damn good point there. Maybe it's an adapter issue, Shimano/SRAM/small arms incompatible connectors.

One thing worth adding about shoes, which likely is also regional, is that covered MTB shoes can be a necessity. We have lots of loose soil here such that normal trainers will be full of particulates after a few minutes of riding. The comfort of one's feet benefits from a closure that prevents entry of this stuff.

Last edited:

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
Over here we aren't allowed such advanced ballistic technology. We have to make do

It's a lot harder to mount to the frame in a way that doesn't interfere with your leg. and the helmet inteferes with the anchor point used.

Apologies for the half hearted attempt, it's a 50# bow and i'm not allowed to try and draw it back just now with the broken ribs :D

PXL_20210607_102659819.jpg

PXL_20210607_102505140.MP.jpg

PXL_20210607_102425891.jpg

Over here we aren't allowed such advanced ballistic technology. We have to make do

It's a lot harder to mount to the frame in a way that doesn't interfere with your leg. and the helmet inteferes with the anchor point used.

Apologies for the half hearted attempt, it's a 50# bow and i'm not allowed to try and draw it back just now with the broken ribs :D

View attachment 63606

View attachment 63607

View attachment 63608
A word of warning. The bow may interfere somewhat with your steering too.

Quick question, where do you mount your battle shield? ?