Decoy with a Ohlins TTX shock

AdH

Feb 2, 2019
Mustang
It appears YT are bringing out a Decoy with a coil shock out soon. By coincidence my Ohlins TTX arrived yesterday from TF Tuned. Going out in an hour to have a play and get it set up

I bought it i an attempt to reduce rock strikes as I thought the coil may hold me up better in the mid stroke. I’ll let you know how I get on

A7F12802-BD24-4F3F-89ED-FEE4CB402800.jpeg

C482DE3B-12EA-4DAC-BB96-8A3360F45E84.jpeg

A9413758-9A2E-4921-A388-51AE1158229A.jpeg

05A0800E-4ADF-4E1D-A7C1-70EB504E8D68.jpeg

jk-

Jan 26, 2020
Around
Nice, I'm running an Ohlins TTX shock on my decoy too. I'm running a progressive coil on it tho at the moment but I do switch out to a normal spring at times.

AdH

Feb 2, 2019
Mustang
Nice, I'm running an Ohlins TTX shock on my decoy too. I'm running a progressive coil on it tho at the moment but I do switch out to a normal spring at times.
Tell me more about the progressive spring, where did you get it?

jk-

Jan 26, 2020
Around
Running at 450-550 spring, I got it from TF tuned. I also have the lower progressive spring rate 400-488 but that is a bit soft for the small jumps I do.

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
You know you need the coil olins 38 fork to complete the awesomeness now? Kind of kicking myself for not scooping a barely used ttx off pinkbike. It would have been cheaper than my cc db coil and the added space ,with the streamlined reservoir on the ttx, would be an added bonus

AdH

Feb 2, 2019
Mustang
So I'm looking into swapping to a coil also. Can you give some feedback on
what you found? Pro's and cons? Really appreciate it!
The main reason to change to coil was to address the amount of pedal strikes I was getting on air. After two rides it seems to have worked, didn’t get any. Rode some rooty and rocky climbs and purposefully didn’t worry about pedal placement. There may have been a bit of luck, but definitely was an improvement as I didn’t get any
The descents the bike felt buttery smooth, it felt good before, but it’s now better than I imagined.
The biggest improvement however is on fast trails with lots of small rocks, not particularly steep. The bike felt loads faster. Even when pedal assist had cut out, the bike continued to easily accelerate as I continued pedalling, definitely easier than it did before, it felt lightening quick
Apparently it’s heavier, but so what, bike weighs plenty anyway and I certainly didn’t notice. The thing looks killer though, worth the extra weight for looks alone
So, any cons, only a couple. Firstly, obviously the price. Secondly, you need to get the correct spring. I’m 100kg in riding gear and went for a 455 Cane Creek spring. TF Tuned felt I was between this spring and the one below. I went for the stiffer spring as my main driver was to mitigate the pedal strikes. 455 is the stiffest spring some companies make and I could have still gone a bit stiffer, I have preloaded the spring to reduce the sag. So, what I’m getting at is that if you are much heavier than 100kg is that you will have trouble getting a stiffer spring.
i hoe this helps

AdH

Feb 2, 2019
Mustang
You know you need the coil olins 38 fork to complete the awesomeness now? Kind of kicking myself for not scooping a barely used ttx off pinkbike. It would have been cheaper than my cc db coil and the added space ,with the streamlined reservoir on the ttx, would be an added bonus
Haven’t been looking at forks. Spent enough. Didn’t have an issue with the Fox 36 that came on the pro model, until perhaps a little bit now. The rear shock is definitely out performing the forks, but I don’t want to think about that; just going to ride and enjoy for now

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Haven’t been looking at forks. Spent enough. Didn’t have an issue with the Fox 36 that came on the pro model, until perhaps a little bit now. The rear shock is definitely out performing the forks, but I don’t want to think about that; just going to ride and enjoy for now
No doubt. Pricey stuff and a 36 is no slouch. The coil shock made a big improvement on mine

mitch1808

Jun 30, 2019
italy
No doubt. Pricey stuff and a 36 is no slouch. The coil shock made a big improvement on mine
Can you guys tell me if by putting a coil on the Decoy the bike loses a bit in agility/reactiveness? Like for example getting air time out for smaller bumps etc. My understanding was that coil tends to absorbe everything and is generally less progressive = less air time for roots etc

AdH

Feb 2, 2019
Mustang
Can you guys tell me if by putting a coil on the Decoy the bike loses a bit in agility/reactiveness? Like for example getting air time out for smaller bumps etc. My understanding was that coil tends to absorbe everything and is generally less progressive = less air time for roots etc
I certainly haven’t noticed any loss in pop, it feels great, really playful. Agility feels better as it’s holding up better through the mid stroke so feels faster in corners, less spongy

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
^^as above. Trails and incline present difficulties so more traction and control allows you to put more power into the turn or dirt. Coil doesnt help on a pump track but at mtb trail speed with obstacles it comes into its own. Even riding the jump trails at the bike park its great. I can push more . Waaay easier on the body too. A day of laps over braking bumps takes a toll on the body and coil shines in braking bumps