Decisions, Decisions.....Help!

MartinW148

May 30, 2018
Essex, England
Hi There,

First post and hopefully all you more seasoned bikers can help me out.
Looking to purchase my first e-bike after having been off an MTB for close to 10 years.

So which of the following do you recommend, hope to be doing some XC and trails;

Finding it difficult to actually get test rides on these (with the exception of the specialized) so your thoughts on that too....

Specialized Turbo Levo Comp - (lack of display really bugs me though)
Cube Stereo Hybrid 140 sl 500
Haibike Sduro Fullseven LT 7.0

Considered the non LT Haibike with 120mm but by the advice I have so far, you hit the limit pretty quickly on 120mm (my poor old Marin had about 0-100mm)

Any thoughts you have on the positives/negatives of each would be gratefully received.

Thanks
M (Newbie)

npatrix

May 22, 2018
Joburg, South Africa
I've been there too... just come out yesterday when I ordered my Levo :D
What I can say, is that after many hours of reading in forums and watching Youtube reviews... there was one thing in common in every person that tested a Levo, first sensation was awesome, everyone delighted with the experience... so I did the expirience myself had a Levo for 3 days, after those days was just a question to decide which model to go ;).

Haven't tried the other to eMTBs that you are considering, so can't help you much there (just saw some reviews).

Regarding the lack of display, you can simply cover that with a smartphone (using Blevo or Spez Mission control apps) which allow you much more options that the other displays, in terms of battery management and available information. Other option is get a Garmin there is a specific app for it.

MartinW148

May 30, 2018
Essex, England
Thanks npatrix,

Yes I have the same issue, won't go for a base spec if I do go for the specialized, was thinking the Turbo Comp ticks most boxes, but have seen a deal which gets me a comp carbon for the 4,250...

Thanks for the Help
M

Mike Smith

May 26, 2018
Derby, UK
Had my Levo for just over a week now and had the same dilemma, the display was a possible concern for me too but it hasn't bothered me less clutter on the bars ;) I'm still smiling :)

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
The sduro LT fullseven is a bit different than the 2 others. It's more of a long travel XC bike, wheras the other two are supposed to be more confident going down hill. I've only tested the 2016 sDuro allmtn, which has the same frame as the fullseven LT. The Haibike xDuro 6/7/8.0 are more comparable to the Levo I think, but they may not be available to you...? The Cube is one good loooking bike, but I'm put off a bit by the long 473mm chainstays. Haven't tested it. Nor have I tested the Levo, next week hopefully.

MartinW148

May 30, 2018
Essex, England
Thanks for that....

I'm going to try to get my leg over a Cube to see what the frame size is like, already know that the Specialized fits me well. Looking at the geometry on the Haibike the Sduro looks a lot more laid back so rides to and from the trails should be more comfortable

Keep us posted on those rides....

Thanks
M

npatrix

May 22, 2018
Joburg, South Africa
Thanks npatrix,

Yes I have the same issue, won't go for a base spec if I do go for the specialized, was thinking the Turbo Comp ticks most boxes, but have seen a deal which gets me a comp carbon for the 4,250...

Thanks for the Help
M
I order a Carbon too will get it next week, that is a really good deal, too good... make sure you getting 2018 model and not an old one.
Mine, I got 10% discount on list price.

MartinW148

May 30, 2018
Essex, England
Thanks npatrix,

Definitely a 2018 (15% trade in offer).

Started to see some rumours of the release date for the 2019 model, now can't decide if I should hang in out 'til Jul/Aug, I would definitely wait if I know they were going to add a display to the bike.....

M

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I wouldn't get anything with a Bosch motor at the moment, as there are apparently big updates coming on it from Bosch next year - the other motors are a bit further ahead at the moment IMO, and this is reflected in demand at dealers. One dealer i spoke to said that the Bosch E-Mtbs are a hard sell at the moment, the flip side of which is that there re some good deals on them.

npatrix

May 22, 2018
Joburg, South Africa
I wouldn't get anything with a Bosch motor at the moment, as there are apparently big updates coming on it from Bosch next year - the other motors are a bit further ahead at the moment IMO, and this is reflected in demand at dealers. One dealer i spoke to said that the Bosch E-Mtbs are a hard sell at the moment, the flip side of which is that there re some good deals on them.
The best thing is to test before you order, so you know what you are getting... the motor on the Levo is almost inaudible... but I can imagine riding the trails with a noisy engine...with all prejudice around eMTB you would get a lot of attention!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Nope is the simple answer - if you are looking for a light e-mtb then look at Focus's range, though they have smaller batteries to help achieve this.

You only decision to make is which you prefer, and that probably come down to aesthetics.

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
I rode both Focus Jam2 and Sam2 and the Speccy Levo and Kenevo at the MBR demo day. The Sam2 felt more like the alloy Turbo Levo from a weight and handling perspective. I was actually faster on the Kenevo but it felt like it was trying to kill me. I'm demoing the Comp Carbon levo this weekend. If you are not sure consider demo of the bikes.

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
It could be me I'm an old school CX guy, it wanted to go at every opportunity but was slower to turn. It probably says more about me than the bike :)

Reactions: Dax

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Modern enduro bikes are so capable you actually find ourself having to re-learn what you are capable of doing on them.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles