• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Decision to buy a ebike

Z3nD3n

Feb 13, 2024
Porto
Well, how many of you had to make a decision when you bought your first ebike?

I am currently in this unpleasant position.

I'm currently considering buying a used ebike and would like your help/opinion.

One hypothesis is a Cube Stereo Hybrid 140 SL 750Wh from 2022 and has around 690mi.

The other hypothesis is a 2021 Olympia Ex900 Karbo with 2740mi.

Any of them are visibly irreproachable.

The diference in terms of money are 400 dollars.
They are both original.

Which would you choose?

Thanks for help me this difficult task.

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I couldn't see either link because my laptop lit up with "dangerous site" warnings! :eek:

The Cube, is the newer one and has much lower mileage. I recognise the Cube brand name and it's a good one, I have never heard of the Olympia Karbo. The motor on the Cube is Shimano a very good motor in my experience. I have never heard of the other motor.
Warning! My not having heard of a brand does not mean it is a bad one, it may have an outstanding local reputation.

If the Cube offers to satisfy your type of riding, then go for it. :)

Z3nD3n

Feb 13, 2024
Porto
I couldn't see either link because my laptop lit up with "dangerous site" warnings! :eek:

The Cube, is the newer one and has much lower mileage. I recognise the Cube brand name and it's a good one, I have never heard of the Olympia Karbo. The motor on the Cube is Shimano a very good motor in my experience. I have never heard of the other motor.
Warning! My not having heard of a brand does not mean it is a bad one, it may have an outstanding local reputation.

If the Cube offers to satisfy your type of riding, then go for it. :)
The sites are trustworthy ;)

Oli engines are a brand that has been around for a long time in Europe, probably one of the oldest.
Olympia is the brand, Karbo is the model

Cube brings the Bosch engine.

In terms of equipment, I think the Olympia has better equipment, however the km's are a disadvantage.

Thanks for your time and answer🍻

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Well, how many of you had to make a decision when you bought your first ebike?

I am currently in this unpleasant position.

I'm currently considering buying a used ebike and would like your help/opinion.

One hypothesis is a Cube Stereo Hybrid 140 SL 750Wh from 2022 and has around 690mi.

The other hypothesis is a 2021 Olympia Ex900 Karbo with 2740mi.

Any of them are visibly irreproachable.

The diference in terms of money are 400 dollars.
They are both original.

Which would you choose?

Thanks for help me this difficult task.
Why is it unpleasant to buy an e bike? You should be liked hell yes e-bike!

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Why?
Do you recognize Olympia?
Bosch is the best motor out there at the moment, 750wh gives good range, low milage is good for second hand e-bikes as you don't have a warrantee. I wouldn't touch a high milage emtb. Battery and engine replacements are the most expense things to replace on an E bike.

PS never heard of the olympia or seen either bike.
In truth I wouldn't buy either, but its not about me. I'm not in that price point or type of bike market.

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
Bosch is the best motor out there at the moment, 750wh gives good range, low milage is good for second hand e-bikes as you don't have a warrantee. I wouldn't touch a high milage emtb. Battery and engine replacements are the most expense things to replace on an E bike.

PS never heard of the olympia or seen either bike.
In truth I wouldn't buy either, but its not about me. I'm not in that price point or type of bike market.
I tend to agree with this. The Bosch motor alone is a huge plus. OP says the other bike is some long time established brand and motor. Never heard of either the brand or motor. Bosch isn't the only good motor out there, but it's darned well respected for durability and performance. Google it.

basstracker208

Feb 3, 2024
SC
When I say unpleasant position I mean a difficult choice, in my opinion.

And what was your choice?
Help me decide!
Yes, I just had to make the same decision. I did a lot of research. Just my opinion, I would not buy any bike with shimano motor unless it is 2023 and up. Totally new motor upgrade in 2023. Before that they were noisy. Technology on ebikes
changes rather fast. Older ebikes are becoming obsolete really fast. (Just my 2 cents worth)

lamerecycles

Apr 10, 2019
Minneapolis
My only advice is that any bike shop eMTB is going to be governed down to 19mph, which will drive you insane..... make sure to get an eMTB with the new speed motor from Shimano or Bosch. Hard to find speed motor bikes, but we make them here at LaMere Cycles in Minnesota LMK if you want one.

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Get the cube, Bosch motor so probably won't die early.
never heard of oli sport motors

Bosch also UL certify , can't see anything on google suggesting the same for oli sport, no idea what battery pack oli sport use or if it's safer than a 5$ battery from china

sam.spoons

Sep 8, 2022
M11MM
My only advice is that any bike shop eMTB is going to be governed down to 19mph, which will drive you insane..... make sure to get an eMTB with the new speed motor from Shimano or Bosch. Hard to find speed motor bikes, but we make them here at LaMere Cycles in Minnesota LMK if you want one.
The OP seems to be in Europe, e-bikes here are governed down to 25kph/15.5mph. Anything faster is either classed as a motorcycle or is simply illegal to use on public roads/trails. Penalties for riding without licence, insurance or road tax can be pretty stiff and, whether one believes it is right or not, riding a derestricted e-bike can land you in significant hot water.

Last edited:

lamerecycles

Apr 10, 2019
Minneapolis
The OP seems to be in Europe, e-bikes here are governed down to 25kph/15.5mph. Anything faster is either classed as a motorcycle or is simply illegal to use on public roads/trails. Penalties for riding without licence, insurance or load tax can be pretty stiff and, whether one believes it is right or not, riding a derestricted e-bike can land you in significant hot water.
Hi Sam, so what you say is not exactly right. In the USA Class 1 bikes are governed down to 19mph and that's what most mtn bike trails want you to be on. Class 3 bikes are allowed to go up to 28mph and these are the new versions of commuter and road eBikes. Class 2 are the Sur Rons and other electric vehicles that are ruining it for everyone and which have throttles and are not really bicycles at all in our opinion. You can check out People for Bikes they have been assigned to handle the nitty gritty of the rules and such.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles