Decathlon STILUS Full Suspension Electric Mountain Bike - SRAM SX

Taters

Oct 6, 2020
Rotherham
Has anyone put 27.5 2.8 inch tires on it?

Eddy Currents here.

Rock strike on the rim, threw me off going down a rocky path in the peaks. Ouch. Tyre stayed up though, unlike me.

IMG_20201101_112413.jpg

Taters

Oct 6, 2020
Rotherham
Wow nice work! I also cracked my rim abit so won't stay up tubless. But I'm still running it with a tube in it. How close is the chain in the lowest gear. With my 2.6 it runs already pretty close!

I'll take a look tomorrow. Bloody close I reckon but I really haven't noticed before.

Lordy71

Jul 29, 2020
lancashire
Wow 180mm travel with a 29 wheel that will be a slack head angle, and hopefully give you better BB clearance, let us know how it rides am interested in doing the same to mine. Bike looks well trick btw..

LewisM

Nov 3, 2020
Bath
Wow 180mm travel with a 29 wheel that will be a slack head angle, and hopefully give you better BB clearance, let us know how it rides am interested in doing the same to mine. Bike looks well trick btw..

I'm fine with the prospect of a slacker head angle (and I have no spacers below the stem so the bars shouldn't be too high).

I have noticed that I do hit my pedals more than on my previous bike - I'm not sure if this is because it has a lower BB, or just because I'm spending more time pedalling when before I may have freewheeled. It's something I'll no doubt get more used to as I ride the bike more.

It just feels awesome - it's like I'm riding a downhill bike with the legs of an XC racer!

Rap Dance 9000

Jul 15, 2020
Yorkshire
..Absolute amateur hour here .. think I’ve just fecked my Stilus crack arm pedal thread.. what is my best option ? New crank arms ? No bike shops open... canny re thread . Measured them at 17cm at bolt centres. anyone recommend some that won’t break the bank , preferably with colour choices :/ bloody typical wanted to go out in the morning .

Johnny rider

Jun 28, 2020
Coventry uk
..Absolute amateur hour here .. think I’ve just fecked my Stilus crack arm pedal thread.. what is my best option ? New crank arms ? No bike shops open... canny re thread . Measured them at 17cm at bolt centres. anyone recommend some that won’t break the bank , preferably with colour choices :/ bloody typical wanted to go out in the morning .
Amazon selling some for about £45 for a set

Rap Dance 9000

Jul 15, 2020
Yorkshire
Other than the obvious style thing... hope crank arms ? Anyone got them on Stilus other than Rob. So Pricey ! I’m also wondering about slightly shorter 160mm cranks.

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
Thanks phil, yep I also get a fair few, will have a read up. Was it you who was rocking the ewilds?

Sure was!

Pro's:
- Offroad Grip is night and day different from the stock Smart Sams
- They look way better :p

Con's:
- They have a lower overal circumference than the Smart Sam's. I'd not read this anywhere, but net net the tyres are noticable smaller than the Smart Sam's. I'd say when you put on an eWild and measure the distance from the floor to the top of the tyre, they are an about an inch lower! What this meant was with the speed restrictor is I was getting engine cut out at 17mph (it tailed off from 15.5mph to 17mph), now the engine cuts out at 16mph.
- I have really seen a big decline in battery performance as clearly the rolling resistance is much greater than the Smart Sams. I'd say I've been getting maybe 10miles less out of a battery. Now the weather is colder and I did upgrade the Bosch SW to 85NM at the same time as the tyres, but ride mainly in Tour which doesn't use the extra torque apparently.

Summary:
I'd still recommend the tyres, as any decent grip offroad tyre will have a battery impact compared to the high rolling Smart Sams, I just hadn't even consider the tyre circumference would be smaller. I may try Swarbe Magic Mary's next as most of the guys I ride with swear by them and given Smart Sams are Shwarb, I assume they will have the same circumference!

EWild.jpg

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
Other than the obvious style thing... hope crank arms ? Anyone got them on Stilus other than Rob. So Pricey ! I’m also wondering about slightly shorter 160mm cranks.
I'd also take a look at this:-

I reckon 160mm all the way (y)

Rap Dance 9000

Jul 15, 2020
Yorkshire
Sure was!

Pro's:
- Offroad Grip is night and day different from the stock Smart Sams
- They look way better :p

Con's:
- They have a lower overal circumference than the Smart Sam's. I'd not read this anywhere, but net net the tyres are noticable smaller than the Smart Sam's. I'd say when you put on an eWild and measure the distance from the floor to the top of the tyre, they are an about an inch lower! What this meant was with the speed restrictor is I was getting engine cut out at 17mph (it tailed off from 15.5mph to 17mph), now the engine cuts out at 16mph.
- I have really seen a big decline in battery performance as clearly the rolling resistance is much greater than the Smart Sams. I'd say I've been getting maybe 10miles less out of a battery. Now the weather is colder and I did upgrade the Bosch SW to 85NM at the same time as the tyres, but ride mainly in Tour which doesn't use the extra torque apparently.

Summary:
I'd still recommend the tyres, as any decent grip offroad tyre will have a battery impact compared to the high rolling Smart Sams, I just hadn't even consider the tyre circumference would be smaller. I may try Swarbe Magic Mary's next as most of the guys I ride with swear by them and given Smart Sams are Shwarb, I assume they will have the same circumference!

View attachment 44205
Cheers Phil, I'm running the Ewilds also. Now you mention it I think I have noticed the battery drain. I'm running them pretty low-pressure wise and have found them brilliant compared to the stock sams, shame about the knock-on for speed restrictor. I can't say that's bothered me as it still feels powerful, although i think i will be having a look at the marys also :).Just went to my LBS and they sorted my crank arm , fancy pedals ahoy. Main reason got these is needed a bigger foot platform, dmr vault v2

IMG_3495.jpeg

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
I know I mentioned the BATTERY IMPACT I'm seeing with the eWilds, but just wondered what ranges your all getting on your Stilus 500w batteries as you head into winter, with some of you on stock tyres still, some of you on new rubber, some of you with Bosch SW update and some of you without?

Here's the difference on a full charge between what I was getting in May with the Smart Sam's (and before the 85nm Torque Bosch SW update) and what I'm seeing now with the eWilds:-

• May Eco 85
  • May Tour 55
  • May EMTB 47
  • May Turbo 41

• Nov Eco 52
  • Nov Tour 34
  • Nov EMTB 29
  • Nov Turbo 25

Appreciate the miles remaining is based on the last mile, so the gap between the two isn't quite as large as this, but it is a solid 10-15 miles difference in Tour.

Bike has done 1500 miles and I weigh 75kg.

Timmoh

May 18, 2020
Wales
I know I mentioned the BATTERY IMPACT I'm seeing with the eWilds, but just wondered what ranges your all getting on your Stilus 500w batteries as you head into winter, with some of you on stock tyres still, some of you on new rubber, some of you with Bosch SW update and some of you without?

Here's the difference on a full charge between what I was getting in May with the Smart Sam's (and before the 85nm Torque Bosch SW update) and what I'm seeing now with the eWilds:-

• May Eco 85
  • May Tour 55
  • May EMTB 47
  • May Turbo 41

• Nov Eco 52
  • Nov Tour 34
  • Nov EMTB 29
  • Nov Turbo 25

Appreciate the miles remaining is based on the last mile, so the gap between the two isn't quite as large as this, but it is a solid 10-15 miles difference in Tour.

Bike has done 1500 miles and I weigh 75kg.
I'm getting what you see in Nov data. I am 95kg and got the 85nm update on smart sams.
I have about 600 miles on the clock.
Due to medical stuff and rehab, I have been using the bike on mixed trails, mountain roads, and canal paths. No full on DH at mo but loads of climbing in each ride.
Just as a few examples, 2800ft climbing with 40 mile bikepath/canal included, mostly eco and tour with a smattering of emtb and turbo towards the end. That's with 95kg plus a 5kg pack. I still had a reading of 26 mile in eco at the end.
I also did a real tough mountain/fire road ride a few weeks ago which saw 1 h 20 mins of continuous climbing from the start (that's Wales for you) in tour, then a major boggy few miles on the top for a while, cracking long down and then a gentle 8 mile ascent with a steep last mile home and this still showed 15 mile left after a total of 26 in the saddle.
I tend to use the footpath app to plan a route and vary the route to make the most of the battery tbh. It's a different way of riding but then again, on my analogue bike my legs used to run out of battery 5 mile from home regularly ?. Hope this helps.

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
Quick Update on the eWilds!!!!

They don't give me 10-15miles less distance on one charge like I thought, I'm just an idiot!

Here's the chain of events:-
  • Smart Sams provided poor grip offload in mud or hardpack/loose trails
  • Lowered tyres pressures and lowered again to improve grip
  • It did help but decided to move to eWilds
  • eWilds offer great grip but complained that I was getting 10-15 less miles per charge
So can you guess what I didn't do?

Put a decent tyre pressure in the eWilds! They were at 13 PSI.

Pumped them up today to about 28PSI and went for ride (albeit mainly road/hardpack trails and....
  • 23.5 miles
  • 1300ft climbing
  • 2 hours riding
  • Used 1 bar of battery
  • Still showing 37 miles left in Tour
Normal service has resumed!

Just wanted to update to let others know the eWilds are great tyres and don't cause you to lose 10-15 miles per charge as I implied earlier...

Rap Dance 9000

Jul 15, 2020
Yorkshire
Quick Update on the eWilds!!!!

They don't give me 10-15miles less distance on one charge like I thought, I'm just an idiot!

Here's the chain of events:-
  • Smart Sams provided poor grip offload in mud or hardpack/loose trails
  • Lowered tyres pressures and lowered again to improve grip
  • It did help but decided to move to eWilds
  • eWilds offer great grip but complained that I was getting 10-15 less miles per charge
So can you guess what I didn't do?

Put a decent tyre pressure in the eWilds! They were at 13 PSI.

Pumped them up today to about 28PSI and went for ride (albeit mainly road/hardpack trails and....
  • 23.5 miles
  • 1300ft climbing
  • 2 hours riding
  • Used 1 bar of battery
  • Still showing 37 miles left in Tour
Normal service has resumed!

Just wanted to update to let others know the eWilds are great tyres and don't cause you to lose 10-15 miles per charge as I implied earlier...
Ah good, mine are running very low psi, will get them pumped in the morn !

Tallguy888

Aug 4, 2020
Salisbury
Hi All
I own a Stilus and have brought a new chain as no matter how much I care for the original it seems to rust even with good lube and clean after every ride, I know I can size my new chain to the way the bike came but is there a super easy method to check the shop got it right in the first place? Thanks in advance.

jupiter

Aug 22, 2020
South Coast, UK
Daft question time, I’ve had my Stilus a couple of months, great bike, and while it came with two keys I’ve never used either. What do they do!? I’ve assumed they release the battery compartment cover but do they disable the bike in any way? Thanks.

Rap Dance 9000

Jul 15, 2020
Yorkshire
it’s to release your battery. I hope your taking the battery cover off and checking for ingress, it needs regular checking .
Daft question time, I’ve had my Stilus a couple of months, great bike, and while it came with two keys I’ve never used either. What do they do!? I’ve assumed they release the battery compartment cover but do they disable the bike in any way? Thanks.

Timmoh

May 18, 2020
Wales
They release the battery not the cover. Youtube has a video on it that explains. It can be fiddly getting the battery in the first time but you'll get the hang of it.
The cover removes by pressing the button on the top of the cover and sliding down.
I take the battery out in colder weather and take it indoors as cold affects bat life.

Rap Dance 9000

Jul 15, 2020
Yorkshire
They release the battery not the cover. Youtube has a video on it that explains. It can be fiddly getting the battery in the first time but you'll get the hang of it.
The cover removes by pressing the button on the top of the cover and sliding down.
I take the battery out in colder weather and take it indoors as cold affects bat life.
Yep this is what I meant :) that cover clip is a real bugger for getting grit in , I’ve taken mine to bits and greased it a number of times . Few not pretty solutions on here to stop it getting mudded up

Timmoh

May 18, 2020
Wales
Yep this is what I meant :) that cover clip is a real bugger for getting grit in , I’ve taken mine to bits and greased it a number of times . Few not pretty solutions on here to stop it getting mudded up
Tried loads such as neoprene Velcro straps etc but ended up getting a crud catcher XL front mudguard-epic results and clip has not suffered since (nor my face) ?.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles