Dare I ask? Ebike specific brake pads?

Pezzar

Apr 6, 2022
Rugeley, England United Kingdom
Never had to buy them before, noticed uberbike do a set.
I've had 'normal' pads off uberbike before and the quality was fine, no issues at all. Any one used em on here? More specifically for the SLX Shimano 4 pots (BR 7120).
Ta in advance and apologies if it's already been covered (Newbie).

Last edited:

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
Can be a personal choice related with feeling, terrain, etc.
As long they are suited for the brake model/rotor type . If you are appy with what you have, you can stick with the same option.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
It's not a bad question - particularly for the rear wheel. It would be interesting to do some instrumentation/data collection on the braking dynamics of an eMTB vs a regular MTB, heat buildup, etc...

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I suppose we have to use the brake pad that works best for you. My neighbor gave me these.
36FC7F0B-861F-48A8-9B07-33D46F3CEB20.jpeg

FD390537-10E8-41C7-B852-12FF7ED8868A.jpeg

They worked good but eventually we all went MT7’s with 220mm rotors. There’s nothing wrong with the Shimano brakes, it just depends on the type/style of riding you do.

Pezzar

Apr 6, 2022
Rugeley, England United Kingdom
I suppose we have to use the brake pad that works best for you. My neighbor gave me these. View attachment 87405
View attachment 87406

They worked good but eventually we all went MT7’s with 220mm rotors. There’s nothing wrong with the Shimano brakes, it just depends on the type/style of riding you do.
I like Shimano, but I've always been Magura curious. Possible future upgrade

Tartam

Mar 30, 2022
Norway
Look good but 70 dollars for a set? Blimey.

I know, but are extremely progressive/quiet and last long. Once I've tried them first time with my non ebike, I didn't want to go back to anything else. Not to many ceramic brake pads out there and not to many which can bring good things from motorcycle or car industry to bike industry either, but MTX did it, and made it well 😊.

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
If they made ebike specific grips I’m sure someone would buy them !

Marketing at its finest...eMTB this, enduro that...but it's working!

More seriously these MTX gold pads are truly amazing. I was about to throw my Code Rs in the garbage before swapping to these pads and now I'm just looking at upgrading for Code RSCs if I ever need to replace my brakes.

whiterabbit

Aug 17, 2020
USA
I know, but are extremely progressive/quiet and last long. Once I've tried them first time with my non ebike, I didn't want to go back to anything else. Not to many ceramic brake pads out there and not to many which can bring good things from motorcycle or car industry to bike industry either, but MTX did it, and made it well 😊.

Similar story for me. As long as MTX is around, ALL my bikes will wear their pads. Period.

They have a few options, I don’t feel obligated to get the pad they think i need, I get whichever I want for each bike.

I don’t think I’m using an ebike pad on my Kenevo, and I don’t care about wear or rotor life. It’s all about when I want to stop, I want to stop NOW. MTX delivers

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
I suppose we have to use the brake pad that works best for you. My neighbor gave me these. View attachment 87405
View attachment 87406

I run MT7's on all my emtbs using a Shirgura set up (Shimano Saint levers and Magura MT7 calipers). On my dh bike I use semi-metalic on the rear and organic on the front. On my trail emtbs run organic on front and rear. Since MT7's use 4 independent brake pads, some riders run semi-metalic on the inside Calipers (closest to the frame) and organic on the outside Calipers. Haven't tried that combo yet but will give it a shout next time I need to change pads.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Not sure about all the marketing guff ..but I tried a set of Uber ebike specific pads ..and spookily they stopped the bike ..😁.
I'm not convinced that they worked any better than the Race Matrix pads from Uber ..but at half the price or less than the equivalent Shimano pads I will keep using this brand as the quality is good and they seem to last as long ..

Mikehorti

Subscriber
Apr 29, 2021
Surrey
I find the eMTB Uberbike pads to be a marked improvement on all other pads I’ve tried. A bit more expensive but they wear well. And they’re blue 🤗

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles