Customer’s Levo upgrades part 2

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Always a pleasure to work on my good friend @Carp ’s Levo. We already did Carbon Roval Wheels, Saint Brakes and a BikeYoke Revive post. Today I installed a Fox Factory 36 160mm fork and a Fox Factory DPX2 rear shock. He now gets 156mm of rear wheel travel and his bike feels dialed

2F5710D4-72E5-4FC7-99E2-2617E10DB070.jpeg

41FB64F5-7C2F-445F-8B45-21F6D0ACD086.jpeg

C1A8D6B2-ADAD-4E17-B4D1-01C022D8DC32.jpeg

Swissrob

Sep 4, 2018
Switzerland

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Al

Any reason end why he never went the X2
The reason we didn’t go X2 is simple, we wanted simple. The DPX2 is just easier to setup and the X2 doesn’t offer a better ride for how much more it costs.
I had already experimented with an X2 on my Stumpjumper EVO and the stock DPX2 just worked better.
My friend Carp hated the stock Fox shock on his Levo and I had a customer cancel on a DPX2 rear shock so we put it on his bike.
The stock Fox Rhythm also felt flexy and made a farting noise from day one, so I changed that too.

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
I figured the Lyrik Ultimate is both less $$ and better, ie better suspension and easier to service.
I tend to prefer Rock Shox over Fox, but one isn’t necessarily better than the other.
Kashima coating feels exactly the same to me as the non Kashima coated products from Fox. I also find it tacky and gaudy looking like my grandma’s opulent jewelry.
I think all Öhlins forks and shocks are junk and would gladly take Fox or Rock Shox over that overpriced, underperforming status symbol bullshit.
Right now for my money I have been running DVO on most of my bikes.
The Manitou Mezzer fork or the DVO Onyx single crown fork will be going on my Kenevo. I’ll decide based on who gets it to me first.
Sram customer service is just better than Fox but I suspect it’s because they’ve had more practice just warrantying brake levers.
Most of this stuff just helps stoke the ego and give you more status with your riding buddies. Carp hates the bright orange Fox stickers and will probably take them off because in his words “I don’t want to advertise what I am running, it’s not like Fox is paying me, I paid them”

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
the saddle position tells me he bought the wrong size frame. shame.
He is 6’3”, has a 36” inseam, short femurs and a short torso. So no he didn’t buy the wrong bike and the ReTüL fit we did confirmed it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles