Cube Stereo or Reaction

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
I have the HPC version which came with a fox 34 and fox dps rear damper - it's done everything from road, trail, bike parks and some downhill stuff. I spend most of my time at Dalby on it. And I'm a heavy boi too!

I'd say the rockshox stuff is probably just as good. Looking at the spec you should get a shimano XT rear derailleur too which is fantastic. Decent tyres too. It'll handle most things you throw at it unless you start getting addicted to downhill :D

Last edited:

E-MAD MALC

Subscriber
Nov 16, 2021
EAST SUSSEX
Rockshox 35 silver is basically equivalent to a fox 34 rhythm - other than being a fan of one brand or another I think they'll perform very similar
This thread started off as a bike for commuting and bike trails
We've been through quite a few different options
I have found that the 140 stereo race with the 650 battery fits the bill with me which is basically the same as your needs
But I also have the Rockrider E-st900 hardtail with a suspenion dropper posts if i'm doing much more road than off road
I would say start with something thats not going to brake the bank first and if you really get into the ebike seen then upgrade it
As other have said you can pick up really decent ebikes second hand

E-MAD MALC

Subscriber
Nov 16, 2021
EAST SUSSEX
This thread started off as a bike for commuting and bike trails
We've been through quite a few different options
I have found that the 140 stereo race with the 650 battery fits the bill with me which is basically the same as your needs
But I also have the Rockrider E-st900 hardtail with a suspenion dropper posts if i'm doing much more road than off road
I would say start with something thats not going to brake the bank first and if you really get into the ebike seen then upgrade it
As other have said you can pick up really decent ebikes second hand
625 the battery not 650

Chris ledger

Aug 17, 2021
Rotherham

waseem2912

Jul 6, 2022
Birmingham
Last edited:

Hardtail

Mar 8, 2021
Uk
From most posts I'm getting an impression that 140mm travel is the right amount for my needs (commuting and park trails). Would most agree?
I wouldn't, but I'm not most. Really if you are mostly commuting you don't need FS or 120mm is plenty. I commute a load on mine and do some big days out in mountains and the hardtail suits me great, look what Blake Samson can do on a hardtail:
1657467815398.jpeg
Megavalanche 2019 On A Hardtail! | Blake Samson Full POV ...

I've ridden a lot in the Peaks and even over the Mourn's which is not mtb friendly, loads of fun.
The other thing you get with a hardtail or short travel bikes is better XC geometry.
I'm riding up Snowdon and down the Rangers track next week!
Either way, the bikes you are looking at you will not be disappointed, it will change your life in a really positive way.

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
I wouldn't, but I'm not most. Really if you are mostly commuting you don't need FS or 120mm is plenty. I commute a load on mine and do some big days out in mountains and the hardtail suits me great, look what Blake Samson can do on a hardtail:
View attachment 92040
Megavalanche 2019 On A Hardtail! | Blake Samson Full POV ...
I've ridden a lot in the Peaks and even over the Mourn's which is not mtb friendly, loads of fun.
The other thing you get with a hardtail or short travel bikes is better XC geometry.
I'm riding up Snowdon and down the Rangers track next week!
Either way, the bikes you are looking at you will not be disappointed, it will change your life in a really positive way.
I disagree. After riding 4years and 11000 km on my haibike sduro hardtail with 120 mm suspension, I find the switch to my firts e fully with 140 mm a true gamechanger.

I commute my ways to the trails on italot, and even the comfort on the road is alot more comfortable.
The rider experience is totally different in a positive way.

Most hardtails are bad specced so If you are really into the whole mtb thing and your budget is there I would do it right the first time and definitely try before buy

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
As above hardtails seem to come with quite cheap components and I found a hardtail with 100mm of travel uncomfortable even on the road.
The lad who had my 140 hpc sl before me fitted a speed box and used it to commute to work.

the thing with 140 travel is it’s comfy on roads, gravel, park trails etc… for hours on end but if you feel like hitting a bike park it will do that too

cube are having massive stock issues but there’s plenty of other 140/150 full suspension mtb’s about. It just seems that cube are good value for the money

E-MAD MALC

Subscriber
Nov 16, 2021
EAST SUSSEX
As above hardtails seem to come with quite cheap components and I found a hardtail with 100mm of travel uncomfortable even on the road.
The lad who had my 140 hpc sl before me fitted a speed box and used it to commute to work.

the thing with 140 travel is it’s comfy on roads, gravel, park trails etc… for hours on end but if you feel like hitting a bike park it will do that too

cube are having massive stock issues but there’s plenty of other 140/150 full suspension mtb’s about. It just seems that cube are good value for the money
One of the best value hardtail has been the Rockrider e st900 which i purchased along with quite a few others on these forums which got upgraded to suit my needs
And very satisfied with it for commuting and light off road use
But for s bit more fun off road and tarmac i turned to the Cube 140 stereo race 625 which again ive upgraded to my needs
So i have the best of both worlds

Hardtail

Mar 8, 2021
Uk
The lack of stock is frustrating and messing with my decision making.
I don't think you will be disappointed with the 120, It ticks all your boxes.
I initially ordered a 2020 Radon Render as my first bike, and paid in full, then I realised it was more bike than I needed... I ended up getting the Mondraker hardtail and have zero regrets, not to mention the money saved. Aluminium is also better for a commuter than carbon in my opinion.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles