Creaking noises Decoy CF Pro ~100 miles

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
So I've noticed an increasing creaking/popping sound after about 5-6 rides. At first it sounded like coming from headtube/headset area but I'm baffled now where the popping is coming from, maybe in pivots or lower frame area. Usually hear it on hard pedaling or in slower speed rough, I'm assuming at high speed I just can't hear it.

Normally on other bikes this sound comes from dust either in headset or pivots, but the bike is so new, wondering if anyone else has experienced the same?

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
So I've noticed an increasing creaking/popping sound after about 5-6 rides. At first it sounded like coming from headtube/headset area but I'm baffled now where the popping is coming from, maybe in pivots or lower frame area. Usually hear it on hard pedaling or in slower speed rough, I'm assuming at high speed I just can't hear it.

Normally on other bikes this sound comes from dust either in headset or pivots, but the bike is so new, wondering if anyone else has experienced the same?

From what I have seen in Decoy's topics and my own experience check your headset, grease main pivots, check if all the spacers are there. Seems that in some Decoys the spacers for the main pivots are missing. I have had that my battery was installed ' wrong' in that I bolted the top bolt first and then the bottom bolt. It started creaking when I pushed on the pedals.

YokoOno

May 5, 2020
Colorado
I was certain a noise was coming from my upper shock mount. Ultimately, it was a slightly loose Horst link pivot.
Bike sounds can be mysterious. Check everything.

Winryn

Nov 10, 2019
Shropshire
My focus has had 2 mysterious creaks over its first 500 miles. One was awful noises from the seat rails. A quick clean and tightening sorted that. The worst was from the bottom bracket area under pedalling. This worried me as I thought it was motor related. Turned out it was the mounting points being dry on the motor. Removed all the screws, dropped motor, cleaned and greased and tightened all back up and it’s blissfully silent again

redrhino

Mar 24, 2020
california
I have something similar to what you describe that started after 30mi of riding. Here is a video of how i could recreate the creak when not riding Video Video >

For me this is the upper pivot. Sometimes you can identify where it is coming from by putting your hand on each pivot while making the creak happen. You can feel the creak at the pivot it comes from. If I take out the bolt and wedge part that has the torque specs printed on it, then grease the area where the wedge pushes agains the main through axle bolt, the creak goes away. But it has already come back once. Hoping it doesn't keep happening.

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
I have something similar to what you describe that started after 30mi of riding. Here is a video of how i could recreate the creak when not riding Video Video >

For me this is the upper pivot. Sometimes you can identify where it is coming from by putting your hand on each pivot while making the creak happen. You can feel the creak at the pivot it comes from. If I take out the bolt and wedge part that has the torque specs printed on it, then grease the area where the wedge pushes agains the main through axle bolt, the creak goes away. But it has already come back once. Hoping it doesn't keep happening.

Could be the that the main pivots indeed or shimano motor bolts being a little loose. Check also pedal bolts

Barty_NorthVan

Apr 22, 2020
North Vancouver
Mine started to creak when out of the saddle as well.
I discovered that it was the cranks. They were dirty and a little loose. I cleaned them up and tighten them down and its all good now.

Dave542

Jun 26, 2020
Dursley

Hi Mate,
Thanks for sharing that video I have the same,been killing me trying to figure it out.
I have removed the first Allen key bolt but how do to remove the cap that has the torque settings on ? Can’t seem to pop it out.
Already put a nice scratch down the frame trying ?

redrhino

Mar 24, 2020
california
Hi Mate,
Thanks for sharing that video I have the same,been killing me trying to figure it out.
I have removed the first Allen key bolt but how do to remove the cap that has the torque settings on ? Can’t seem to pop it out.
Already put a nice scratch down the frame trying ?

Hey, the cap is just a wedge that is pressing up against the axel, sometimes it can get a little stuck. On Santa Cruz bikes those caps have a hole with a fitting for a hex wrench that you can put in to help pop it off, but I don't recall if the YT did. If not, you may need to find something round to put in there that roughly matches the size of the hole, then try to wiggle it a bit until it pops off. You also might try bouncing up and down on the suspension a bit and see if any movement helps loosen it. I'm not totally sure since mine came off pretty easily.

Dave542

Jun 26, 2020
Dursley
Hey, the cap is just a wedge that is pressing up against the axel, sometimes it can get a little stuck. On Santa Cruz bikes those caps have a hole with a fitting for a hex wrench that you can put in to help pop it off, but I don't recall if the YT did. If not, you may need to find something round to put in there that roughly matches the size of the hole, then try to wiggle it a bit until it pops off. You also might try bouncing up and down on the suspension a bit and see if any movement helps loosen it. I'm not totally sure since mine came off pretty easily.
T
Thanks for getting back mate ?? Will give that a blast gave up on it today as didn’t want to danger it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles