Creaking Bullit

Meso

Apr 18, 2021
UK
After some insights from other owners please. I have a creaking sound from the cranks/bb/shock area on my Bullit. Only 130 miles on it. Anyone else experienced anything similar please before I start pulling it all apart apart? Only happens under load when pedalling esp noticeable from a stand still.

leroy

Jul 10, 2021
milton keynes
After some insights from other owners please. I have a creaking sound from the cranks/bb/shock area on my Bullit. Only 130 miles on it. Anyone else experienced anything similar please before I start pulling it all apart apart? Only happens under load when pedalling esp noticeable from a stand still.
i spent ages looking for a creek on my bronson,turned out to be the seat so maybe worth checking as its an easy fix.

Meso

Apr 18, 2021
UK
Cheers guys ? I have done the cursory checks but it feels very much like it is coming from EP8. My understanding is there is no BB to change like on an analog so not sure what to look at next. I will triple check crank arms tomorrow. Do you know if there anything that can be serviced or greased on the EP8, I haven’t had to do any maintenance yet so haven’t even considered taking the cover off the motor.

Out of curiosity what happens with gnarly pedal strikes on an Emtb. Pedal strikes can kill a BB, a bad one broke my Yeti 575 frame, what happens on an emtb?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
My mate's Bullit creaks like the cellar door in a Scooby Doo cartoon! Make sure the headset, stem, bars, seatpost and seat rails are all greased and creak-free before attacking the motor area with spanners.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Out of curiosity what happens with gnarly pedal strikes on an Emtb. Pedal strikes can kill a BB, a bad one broke my Yeti 575 frame, what happens on an emtb?
They can kill motors.

Mungalot

Apr 5, 2021
Moon
I noticed a creak as well after a couple rides , checked the bolts and well wore my headphones and it was fine today as well as not hearing from the banter bother on the trail as I recreate space mtb jam!

Mtb247

Apr 12, 2020
I noticed a creek on my Bullit also. For some reason I went to the rear axel, I noticed my hanger was not torqued correctly. I tightened it and it seems to have helped. Also do not apply grease (I did this and it striped the threads) use Loctite per SRAM.

Last edited:

Forever Wild

May 21, 2020
Arizona
Carbon or aluminum frame? I’ve got a frame creak on my Kenevo since new. My Carbon bikes don’t creak.

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
Yes, 100% not the EP8 noise.
Yeah I sympathize with you. I have creaks too. My Carbon Focus had a bad one that turned out to be the main pivot bushing that was pretty dry. My older analog Giant Anthem had zip ties that creaked, lol. I chased another noise from my Focus for a while that was the end of my shoe lace hitting the side cover on the left side! It's the reason I don't want an ep8 bike right now or I would have ordered a Santa Cruz. I'm hoping someone comes out with a Fazua motor bike in the states with at least 150mm travel like the eZesty.

Ginners

Jan 15, 2021
Uk
Mine did it as well. Turned out to be a slightly loose bolt holding the motor to the frame. It was only loose by about 3/4 of a turn too. The carbon frame exaggerates the noise.

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
I had this issue as well, due to carbon frame the sound was amplified and hard to locate. I opened battery door and made sure frame and battery cover seal area were clean and then applied a thin film of silicone grease (NOT caulk) on the rubber lip of battery cover and the contact point of the latch… solved the problem.
I think as a 200 lb rider on XL bike, when torquing along climbing that interface makes a noise that gets amped through the frame.

Mungalot

Apr 5, 2021
Moon
Yeah I sympathize with you. I have creaks too. My Carbon Focus had a bad one that turned out to be the main pivot bushing that was pretty dry. My older analog Giant Anthem had zip ties that creaked, lol. I chased another noise from my Focus for a while that was the end of my shoe lace hitting the side cover on the left side! It's the reason I don't want an ep8 bike right now or I would have ordered a Santa Cruz. I'm hoping someone comes out with a Fazua motor bike in the states with at least 150mm travel like the eZesty.
U roast coffee?

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
U roast coffee?
Yes been roasting since about 2001 or so. I now have a small commercial roaster, 2 kg, in a shed in my backyard that I bought around 2009. I'm retired and never roasted for a living but considered it. It doesn't pay like engineering and is pretty hard work commercially. So I stayed retired and just roast for a few friends and of course my own consumption.

darwink1

Dec 19, 2022
Ontario, Canada
The sram udh seems to cause a lot of creaks on these bikes. Torquing the hanger and the rear axle down did the trick for me.

Also, ebikes are a different breed when compared to muscle bikes and require more frequent bolt checks.

Happy to report that my Bullit has been creak free for the last 3 or 4 months now.

D

Easy E

Oct 7, 2019
Australia
Had the same issue with mine, narrowed it down to dry surfaces between swing arm and linkage. (especially after washing). Need to keep these lubricated with small amount of grease and runs silently.

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
I had same sound on my Bullit when brand new… applied a thin film of silicone grease to lip of battery compartment door, problem solved.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles