Creaking already?

Tmeyer37

Jun 22, 2020
Fremont, CA
i have about 500 miles on my Trance E+ and am getting a bunch of creaks when riding, already cleared one up by cleaning and regreasing the headset but I think the major one is coming from the rear suspension linkage. Is this normal for this low of hours? Seems a little early to me but conditions have been crazy dusty where I ride.

Herder000

Oct 31, 2019
UK
Maybe it’s the motor? I have it occasionally but it comes and goes so I’ve never bothered to do anything about it. There is a thread here if it helps:

willeco

Jul 28, 2020
Halle
Check your dropper post...lock ring still securely tight ?
A friend had the same and after checking everything we could think of, it turned out the lock ring of the dropper was loose. And it was long enough to damage the internals. In the end he got a new dropper post.

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
It seems to be one of the things you ‘have to do’ on some bikes, re-grease pivots/linkages regularly.

My Rocky Mountain has never been apart in over 10 years (albeit irregular riding!), and is quiet as a mouse.

I’ve owned my Jam2 about 10 months, and I’ve had to take out the main pivot bolt and re-grease it about 4 times.

I’ve also had to take the crank arms off and lightly grease the splines a couple of times as well.

I had a really annoying light creak/squeak and I couldn’t find it, then I had to change the SPD pedals out after the cleats wore out on my shoe and I couldn’t remove them, and the creak disappeared...

When you find a creak and cure it, it’s very satisfying though! ?

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Only had 2 annoying creaks on my bike.
the first was the seat post and the second was the bolts holding the motor onto the frame.

Tmeyer37

Jun 22, 2020
Fremont, CA
Thanks for the ideas. I will have to give them all a shot but I plan to do one at a time so I know what cured it so I know what to do when it comes up again. It happens sitting and standing so I don't think its the dropper or seat. I am leaning towards the pedals, they are a cheaper composite pedal that they happened to have on the floor of my lbs when I picked up my bike. I did clean and regreased the pedal pins but the noise is still there. I ordered some Deity platform pedals to put on next week since I have already messed these pedals up pretty bad when I had some major pedal strikes on Friday. One of them actually hooked a root and almost put me over the bars.

Tmeyer37

Jun 22, 2020
Fremont, CA
I think I solved it. Installed the new Deity Black Kat platform pedals today and took it for a short rude around my neighborhood (we have several fires going near me so due to heavy smoke I couldn't go for a real ride) and I tried to reproduce the creak and couldn't so I think those cheap composite pedals I had couldn't take the abuse and my heavy weight

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles