Levo Gen 3 Crank Arm Removal

seanallgire

Nov 21, 2022
USA
Just got some new cranks for my gen 3 Turbo Levo Expert and I want to make sure I understand how to remove the existing crank arms before going all gorilla on them and doing something stupid.

I watched videos of removing crank arms on Levos and in each case an 8mm and some elbow grease seems like all it takes. I tried to remove mine and they went like a quarter turn without a ton of effort and then I hit major resistance.

For anyone that's swapped out their cranks, do you just keep at it or is there something I'm missing?

I’ve removed self-extracting cranks before, just not on an e-bike with an expensive motor to worry about messing up!

Last edited:

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
they do feel a bit odd coming off. it must be the resistance as it starts to self extract. You could gently tap the crank arm with a soft hammer or wood etc to free it a bit

seanallgire

Nov 21, 2022
USA
I got them off. Just did the leap of faith and really cranked on it going counter-clockwise. Thanks!

Edit - added some pics. 5 Dev cranks (the silver ones definitely pop more on my Jeffsy, but I’m not going for pop on the Levo 👍🏻)

403F21ED-E68F-43F2-9C32-1F85B457A7D8.jpeg

66F700AA-C7D1-49EA-9BAB-769539A0EADD.jpeg

Last edited:

eightdown

Nov 9, 2023
Canada
Reviving this old thread because I just put the same cranks on my Gen 3. Just curious, did you just tighten them to 40nm and be done with it? Reason I ask is because it seems like they could keep going on a bit more. There’s no play or anything, just a bit of space

IMG_9881.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles