Rail (625Wh) Cracked Rail frames

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
Not ideal is it ? What if you preferred the qualities of an alloy frame over carbon ? I think they definitely should include a matching battery cover though
I could not agree more
I personally would not want a carbon frame over an Alloy let alone having to pay for the privilege
I chose alloy because that's what i wanted it wasn't a money thing.

Juise

Aug 23, 2022
Finland
I could not agree more
I personally would not want a carbon frame over an Alloy let alone having to pay for the privilege
If i could get a carbon frame as warranty upgrade for a sixth of the price I'd take that and put the bike, if i didn't want a carbon one, for sale at a higher price it would be as 9.7

In my opinion the only problem with carbon frame is that it cant take hits like the alloy one.

So just dont mess up when riding 😁

Last edited:

Mitch@Trek

Official Trek
TREK
Dec 30, 2020
Waterloo, WI
I could not agree more
Our team can still send you an alloy frame, there would just be a wait. Also, you would get a matching battery cover, we wouldn't want you to have mismatched parts - if for any reason one doesn't arrive with it, let your retailer know and they can have that sent out.

CordlezToaster

Aug 18, 2022
n/a
Just an update on my frame. Trek offered me a 9.7 frame for $250. I was told alloy frames would take months to get. I feel like they should send me what they have in stock free of charge but it is what it is. Hopefully they include a matching battery cover but not holding my breath.
This is a decent upgrade in my opinion, but I also feel the $250 is adding salt to a wound.
I'd also look at then getting the frame wrapped for extra protection.

Jschlueter

Dec 31, 2019
Bentonville, AR
This is a decent upgrade in my opinion, but I also feel the $250 is adding salt to a wound.
I'd also look at then getting the frame wrapped for extra protection.

don't think a carbon front triangle makes one bit of difference on a 50lb+ bike I didn't want to wait so I spent the $250. I do like the cable routing better on the carbon frames. Hopefully it shows by the end of the month. It will be Ridewrapped. I still feel like Trek should send whatever they have avaible. They used to send better replacements at no cost. These are expensive bikes even the alloy versions.

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
are you sure it's a crack in the frame and not just the paint that has flaked or cracked ?
Was that not the problem as shown with the Giants ?. More due to flexing than actual damage to the alloy
Which is understandable, Paint hasn't the ability to flex, its brittle and any flex would cause it to crack.

Unless you can actually see inside where those 'cracks' are, you couldnt for 100% say they were alloy damage and not just paint damage.

That said. This is a pic of that area on my Scott genius, which shows that the area has a weld across it. So possibly Scott have foreseen that area flexing and put the weld in to prevent premature damage, or believe that continual flexing could lead to cracks forming.
DSCF4187.JPG

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Was that not the problem as shown with the Giants ?. More due to flexing than actual damage to the alloy
Which is understandable, Paint hasn't the ability to flex, its brittle and any flex would cause it to crack.

Unless you can actually see inside where those 'cracks' are, you couldnt for 100% say they were alloy damage and not just paint damage.

That said. This is a pic of that area on my Scott genius, which shows that the area has a weld across it. So possibly Scott have foreseen that area flexing and put the weld in to prevent premature damage, or believe that continual flexing could lead to cracks forming. View attachment 99562
Some people don't like to see welds like above and want the welds to be finished flat.

I DO want to see the welds because it is prima facie evidence of a solid joint. The weld should be as strong as or stronger than the two components welded together. "Finishing" welds can only weaken them.

Juise

Aug 23, 2022
Finland
Some people don't like to see welds like above and want the welds to be finished flat.

I DO want to see the welds because it is prima facie evidence of a solid joint. The weld should be as strong as or stronger than the two components welded together. "Finishing" welds can only weaken them.
In trek rail there is welds shown elsewhere, so the area having defects is not welded but bonded.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
In trek rail there is welds shown elsewhere, so the area having defects is not welded but bonded.
If that is the case then if necessary it should be 'over-bonded" for exactly the same reason. The bonding should be at least as strong as the strongest of the two materials being bonded

Last edited:

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden

That said. This is a pic of that area on my Scott genius, which shows that the area has a weld across it. So possibly Scott have foreseen that area flexing and put the weld in to prevent premature damage, or believe that continual flexing could lead to cracks forming. View attachment 99562

I don't know what the problem with giant was as I haven't followed that thread much but I think it was frames that cracked.

no, it's difficult to see if it's the paint that's cracked or if it's a crack in the frame, I think I read about a trick you can do to tap the crack a little gently and listen and you can hear if there's a crack in the frame.

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
The weld should be as strong as or stronger than the two components welded together.
And here lies some of the problems
A lot of alloy cracks originate from the welds due to the difference in strengths
And smoothing welds can also strengthen them as long as there's enough material there as the smoothing gets rid of the edging in the weld which can also lead to fracture cracking
It's all a fine balance (y)

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
This is kinda funny . Sorry not for the owners of these bikes . People always crap on about how to avoid carbon frames . Yet giant and trek aluminium frames are failing . Carbon owners keep winning .
Don't forget Orbea LOL
Seriously thou ive had irreparable carbon frames in the past too so not so much of a win,
We all have to expect it with the hammering they get or at least should be getting :)

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Carbon can be repaired, it's aluminium that's actually difficult because it needs heat treating after welding.

I'd be more than happy with a carbon frame for $250/£250. In fact, I'm off to do some hucks to flat this afternoon... :ROFLMAO:

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
Carbon can be repaired, it's aluminium that's actually difficult because it needs heat treating after welding.

I'd be more than happy with a carbon frame for $250/£250. In fact, I'm off to do some hucks to flat this afternoon... :ROFLMAO:
One of mine a Kona snapped at the headstock no warning at all a repair was definitely out of the question :)
That's what i don't like about carbon the lack of warning
Non of its a great situation but alloy does seem to give a better warning before letting go in my experience.

Good luck with the hucks lol

Juise

Aug 23, 2022
Finland
Well, then again. Alloy frame can take quite a beating and just get scratches and dings but the same hits will destroy a carbon frame, so it's lose lose option in a way 😐

GlassKnee

Aug 30, 2020
New Zealand
Hi Guys,

My frame cracked weeks ago and was able to receive a warranty frame. I got a Large Trek Rail 7 btw. The LBS transferred all my components to the new frame but for some reason my Fox X2 which used to fit with plenty of space from the frame is suddenly hitting the new frame and there is not enough clearance anymore.

I returned it to my LBS (Evocycles NZ) and they tried to find what’s happening with the new frame and they said the issue is with the frame and they will be happy to just attached my stock shock (Not Fox X2) as that fits with no issue and there is a big chance Trek will not send a new frame. Basically just move on and accept it.

That does not make sense to me as the new frame should have the same measurements and should have the same clearance. A few millimetre closer but still with clearance would be fine with me but this thing has no clearance at all and I’m getting the impression that they just want me to accept that. I didn’t agree with it so they will contact Trek again.

Have you seen issues like this before? Right side of the second picture is my old frame with heaps of clearance for my rear shock.

39B3A83E-2238-40DE-A4D2-CDBA1B01A760.jpeg
4001FD10-DED4-45B2-B9E3-898411DC15F3.jpeg

Staff member
Subscriber
Jul 15, 2020
FORUM
All the responses to @GlassKnee's post have been moved to the parallel thread he created, any further discussion should continue there.

hijodeputa

Nov 23, 2022
Essex
Thanks everyone on this thread, made me go and check my Rail, sure enough, hairline crack exactly where others had them.
Not sure I'd have noticed without this thread.

Local dealer has been great though to be fair, took the bike yesterday and rang me today to say Trek will warranty it for me.

hijodeputa

Nov 23, 2022
Essex
Quick update, got mine back yesterday. Was still red and grey, but I think it's an older Rail 7 frame. New shock included and obviously, all new bearings, headset etc.
Asked my local dealer about future warranty, as I bought the bike second hand from Beics Brenin, he emailed me back a few hours later and said that as far as trek we're concerned it's a brand new bike.

I registered it on the Trek website and have a full warranty on the new frame.

First Trek I've had, certainly won't be the last, very impressed with their customer care. LBS deserves a shout too, Cycles UK couldn't have been more helpful, with a bike they didn't even sell me.

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
its looking pretty prevalent. unless ive read wrong, nearly everyone who has checked due to this thread has found a crack.
You have no data on amount sold and what age and mileage/use there failing at
Unless you know the total amount sold worldwide to give a statement like you have and of course the failure rate you can then call it .
Could you give us more info ?
Thanks

Last edited:

wonkyconk

Mar 11, 2021
Forest of Dean
Hi fellas, could I ask is this crease normal? It looks to be in the same area as people's frames are cracking, there is not a crack at the moment but it doesn't look good.
Many thanks 👍
IMG_20230107_163607.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles