Could I do a straight swap with these forks?

MrMarzocchi

Apr 26, 2021
Wales
IMG_20200520_152110.jpg
IMG_20210423_192128_513.jpg

Hey guys just wondering if I could put my old Marzocchi 55 RS straight onto my new ebike?

StuR

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
In theory yes but you need to check several potential compatibility issues -
If the axie to crown length is different then the geometry will change
Is the steerer the the same i.e tapered , straight ?
Is the steerer tube long enough ?
Is the axle mount the same ? it could be quick release, 15 x 100 , 15 x 110 etc
If not then wheel compatibility could be an issue
Is the disc brake mount the same ?it could need a new adapter or caliper
Is the disc mounted the same? i.e 6 bolt
Are they both the same diameter wheel ?

Apart from that then no dramas :LOL:

MrMarzocchi

Apr 26, 2021
Wales
In theory yes but you need to check several potential compatibility issues -
If the axie to crown length is different then the geometry will change
Is the steerer the the same i.e tapered , straight ?
Is the steerer tube long enough ?
Is the axle mount the same ? it could be quick release, 15 x 100 , 15 x 110 etc
If not then wheel compatibility could be an issue
Is the disc brake mount the same ?it could need a new adapter or caliper
Is the disc mounted the same? i.e 6 bolt
Are they both the same diameter wheel ?

Apart from that then no dramas :LOL:
? I need to go back even further and ask myself questions like why didn't I listen in school? Haha. I'm terrible when it comes to stuff like this.

MinusPrevious

Sep 5, 2019
So.Cal
That Norco looks like its got the old school straight 1 1/8" stem vs the tapered stem on the Giant. The swap would not work if that is the case!

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
That Norco looks like its got the old school straight 1 1/8" stem vs the tapered stem on the Giant. The swap would not work if that is the case!

Stem probably the same. Literally everything else likely to be different. I reckon those are 66's. Which will be 26" wheel, 20mm bolt through, 100mm hub, straight steerer (which could be a 1.5).

I mean, you could fit them, but you'd need a lump hammer, a jigsaw and a power drill.

I say go for it :)

MrMarzocchi

Apr 26, 2021
Wales
Stem probably the same. Literally everything else likely to be different. I reckon those are 66's. Which will be 26" wheel, 20mm bolt through, 100mm hub, straight steerer (which could be a 1.5).

I mean, you could fit them, but you'd need a lump hammer, a jigsaw and a power drill.

I say go for it :)

What would you have to do mate? Bare in mind I'm a complete newb. I've got a closer pic if that helps? Would I be able to keep the hub thats on the new 29" ebike?

Screenshot_20210426-234257.jpg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
fitting a straight steerer fork to a tapered headtube just requires a ZS56 lower headset with 1&1/8" crown racefto be fitted and any decent bike shop can do this for you. But you aren't going to fit anything bigger than a 26" wheel in that fork.
You "could" fit 26" wheels to your Ebike but you'd then have to find a boost axle 26" wheel or have one built plus fitting 26" wheels will drop the BB significantly and most folk complain their BBs are too low already.

Just sell the Norco complete and put the money from that towards a new fork

MrMarzocchi

Apr 26, 2021
Wales
fitting a straight steerer fork to a tapered headtube just requires a ZS56 lower headset with 1&1/8" crown racefto be fitted and any decent bike shop can do this for you. But you aren't going to fit anything bigger than a 26" wheel in that fork.
You "could" fit 26" wheels to your Ebike but you'd then have to find a boost axle 26" wheel or have one built plus fitting 26" wheels will drop the BB significantly and most folk complain their BBs are too low already.

Just sell the Norco complete and put the money from that towards a new fork
Yeah, that's makes a lot of sense. I'll just do that. Don't suppose I'll lose too much on the Norco with the lockdown bike prices. Going forward mate if I do get new forks do you know what I'd need to get for them to be compatible with the GIANT?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
any tapered 29" wheel fork with boost axle of suitable travel.
personally i'd probably go rockshox Rev/Pike/lyrik for your bike but that's up to you.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles