• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

CorrosionX for waterproofing motor?

bennykyu

Oct 20, 2023
sg
Hey i am building my 1st E-bike LCE930 and water resistance is kind of my concern, as living in Rain forest area and most of the trail are beside beach in Malaysia. Most of the enduro competition will always ride under the rain.

thus this make me consider spraying CorrosionX, the so call most advance anti-rust and waterproofing solution for seaside vehicle bed and engine. any one try it before? could you share your experience?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Err I have just Googled "CorrosionX" and got this.

What is CorrosionX used for?​
Corrosion-X actually kills existing rust and corrosion, keeps it from spreading and provides long-term protection against rust and corrosion on any metal surface.​

It seems that it is not intended as a waterproofer. But it does say that it resists sea water wash off.

CorrosionX - Corrosion-X

I know that many bikes seem to suffer more than most from water ingress and the riders have been driven to distraction by that. They have been using all sorts of waterproofing methods, ranging from physical blocks to special greases. No doubt they will be along to comment before too long.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@Brian VT USA Fascinating! I watched that all the way through. It seems that CorrosionX is more useful that even its manufacturers claim. The Heavy-Duty version seems to be particularly useful. The video should be the first port of call for all those riders contemplating waterproofing. Not for me though, I have never had any problems, but then I have a Shimano motor and battery!

Brian VT USA

Oct 2, 2023
VT, USA
@Brian VT USA Fascinating! I watched that all the way through. It seems that CorrosionX is more useful that even its manufacturers claim. The Heavy-Duty version seems to be particularly useful. The video should be the first port of call for all those riders contemplating waterproofing. Not for me though, I have never had any problems, but then I have a Shimano motor and battery!
I have sprayed Corrosion-X on the battery terminals.
I have a spare motor for my bike. I even sent that video to the manufacturer of my motor (Vinka) and they said it would be fine to douse the motor in Corrosion-X (although the reply was in broken English, fwiw).
I'm no longer going to concern myself with water crossings or rain while riding. My motors are claimed to have IPX5 so they should be fine with no treatment. But if the original motor fails due to water intrusion then I will go all in with the Corrosion-X on the spare motor before installing it.

bennykyu

Oct 20, 2023
sg
@Brian VT USA Fascinating! I watched that all the way through. It seems that CorrosionX is more useful that even its manufacturers claim. The Heavy-Duty version seems to be particularly useful. The video should be the first port of call for all those riders contemplating waterproofing. Not for me though, I have never had any problems, but then I have a Shimano motor and battery
greeting, all the video on the youtube are too good to be true actually haha, i guess i gonna spray on my electrical skateboard's ESC, test the water before moving to my ebike haha
I have sprayed Corrosion-X on the battery terminals.
I have a spare motor for my bike. I even sent that video to the manufacturer of my motor (Vinka) and they said it would be fine to douse the motor in Corrosion-X (although the reply was in broken English, fwiw).
I'm no longer going to concern myself with water crossings or rain while riding. My motors are claimed to have IPX5 so they should be fine with no treatment. But if the original motor fails due to water intrusion then I will go all in with the Corrosion-X on the spare motor
i hope that day wont come,
bafang motor do rate IPX5, but extra protection dont harm...

Pete2033

Subscriber
Jun 3, 2023
Whitworth, Lancashire
Back in my motorcycling days I used a product called ACF 50. It was used by people who used their bikes all year round and was applied once a year as an excellent way to keep your bike and electrics corrosion proof. I would imagine that it is available worldwide and is relatively inexpensive. I'm sure it'll work just as effectively on an E-Bike. Hope this YouTube link works and is helpful

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Back in my motorcycling days I used a product called ACF 50. It was used by people who used their bikes all year round and was applied once a year as an excellent way to keep your bike and electrics corrosion proof. I would imagine that it is available worldwide and is relatively inexpensive. I'm sure it'll work just as effectively on an E-Bike.

By coincidence this morning used some ACF 50 in a spray can left over from my motor cycling days on some (non stainless) steel bolts. :cool:

E-MAD MALC

Subscriber
Nov 16, 2021
EAST SUSSEX
This may be of interest to someone
It's my next door neighbours company
I use this on the underside of our cars
I might give it a go on the bike

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles