Comparing geometry (Commencal vs Giant)

BelgianTriple

Aug 20, 2019
Belgium
I'm 1m91. Inseam 87-88 cm. I own a hardtail Giant Fathom E+3 29er in frame size L. My lbs advised this frame size instead of the XL. I feel good on the bike. I added a dropper post for when descending steep berms etc..
Now I'm looking at the Commencal MetaPower 29 Race 2019. According to the size chart I should go for an XL.

As Commencal is direct to consumer brand I can't testride the different frame sizes.
Any experts on geometry who can give me some tips on what to chose?
My use: forest and field riding, some commuting (hence the 29er), trails and single tracks, first attempts at bike park shizzle (jumps etc..)

GIANT GEOMETRY - I have the L
A Seat Tube Length (mm) 505
B Seat Tube Angle 73.0°
C Top Tube Length (mm) 615
D Tube Length (mm) 140
E Head Tube Angle 68.0°
F Fork Rake (mm) 51
G Trail (mm) 95
H Wheelbase (mm) 1183
I Chain Stay Length (mm) 470
J Bottom Bracket Drop (mm) 45
K Stack (mm) 645
L Reach (mm) 417
M Stand Over Height (mm) 787
N Handlebar Width (mm) 780
O Stem Length (mm) 60
P Crank Length (mm) 170
QWheel Size 29"29"29"29"

COMMENCAL MetaPower 29 Race 2019
CommencalMetaPower29Race geometry.JPG

One of my concerns is the dropper post on the XL can't go low enough.
Let me know your advise, all tips and comments are welcome
Should I go for the XL or L?

Last edited:

Interpaul

Jun 18, 2018
Edinburgh
Go XL, I am not as tall as you (188cm) and went for the XL in a 2019 MetaPower. I would not want a shorter reach. Bike feels really good, and I wouldn't mind a bit more reach TBH.

slippery pete

Oct 29, 2019
Scotland
I'll try.

There is a big difference in those bikes. One is an entry level hard tail. The other is a full sus bike from a brand with a gravity focused heritage.

Commencal's older semi integrated frame design is quite conservative (given that gravity heritage). It is however a big advance from the giant. The number to focus on is the reach. Your current reach of 417mm is short for your height. That isn't even a comment about being short by modern progressive standards. It is short and upright because that is how some brands spec beginner bikes that see mixed use including commuting . This kind of geometry can work if you spend most of your time sat down. It doesn't work when you're getting into riding trails with technical challenges.

As this is an area of your riding that you're looking to get into, the commencal does represent a big step forward in geometry.

However. There is no hard and fast rule and, given your prior experience, you have to consider whether to get as much (conservative) reach as the Commencal XL or whether a Commencal L will still be a big enough step forward without being an alienating experience for your mixed use.

But. There is an elephant in the room. Stack.

The Commencal is fully 20mm shorter in stack than the Giant. You can only make up stack with headset spacers if the fork steerer is long enough. Commencal tend to cut their fork steerers relatively short. which leaves you having to perhaps consider swapping a few more parts to get your fit where you want it. Maybe a stem with a bit of rise. Maybe a bar with more rise rolled forward considerably.

Commencal want to put you in a more aggressive position all the time, as per their gravity heritage. If you make the move to the Commencal and then try to make it feel familiar with a short upright position will cost you for component replacements and you may fail to gain the benefit from the design intentions of the bike.

Regarding sizing: I'm 185cm and have three bikes available to me to ride at the moment dating back to 2014. The 2014 bike has reach of 432mm. The 2018 bike is 483mm. My 2020 Commencal Meta Power Team (L) is 475mm. I rode both the 2014 and 2018 in competitive enduro events last year and it was entirely possible to ride both of them at race speeds in highly technical terrain. The short reach of the 2014 bike does not make it unrideable as many people might try to convince you. However the 2014 bike is very unfashionable with its long stem.

Regarding dropper seatpost sizing: My 2018 bike has a seat tube of 510mm. I run it with a Bikeyoke Revive 185mm dropper post slammed. My Commencal (465mm seat tube) I run with the 175mm KS Lev. One thing to be aware of is that the commencal rear suspension pivot pierces the seat tube, putting a hard limit on seat post insertion in smaller frame sizes. This won't be a problem for you though. If the XL comes with a 175mm post, you'll probably need that close to slammed but it should be Ok. If it is a shorter post you won't have any problems at all.

That bike was on my shortlist and would have served me well in an XL but I went for the pimped up 2020 Team in the end.

BelgianTriple

Aug 20, 2019
Belgium
Go XL, I am not as tall as you (188cm) and went for the XL in a 2019 MetaPower. I would not want a shorter reach. Bike feels really good, and I wouldn't mind a bit more reach TBH.
And no problems with the dropper post not going low enough on steep berms or enduro shizzle?

zaykay

Dec 3, 2019
Finland
I own Large size frame 2018 Meta Power 27 and with the 87cm inseam I need to raise the stock dropper about 5cm’s. I think you will need XL frame for being that tall.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles