Crestline 75/50 vs Pivot Shuttle AM vs Commencal Meta Power SX vs Pivot Shuttle LT

Mark_H_NZ

Feb 26, 2024
Nelson, New Zealand
Hi all

I'm new to this awesome forum and based in Nelson, New Zealand!

My riding is pretty much all self-shuttling up the steep, long climbs here and descending steep, rocky, and rooty trails with some very tight corners. I'm also hoping to race the e-bike category in some of the bigger local enduro events. I am 90 kg, and generally like to ride as fast as possible when trail conditions permit :)

I'm currently riding a Pivot Shuttle LT with a few upgrades (coil spring, We Are One Triad carbon rims) which has been good, but I am looking at what else is out there that might perform even better for me on the trails I ride, with the bonus of having the latest Bosch motor (and for an extra bonus, compatibility with the Bosch 250wH range extender):

-The Crestline 75/50 and RS180 look awesome, have had great feedback on here, and have the bonus of a Bosch motor. Not sure how a Crestline would compare to the Shuttle LT on the trails I ride? (Different handling traits but much of a muchness overall?).
-The new Pivot Shuttle AM has the option for the Bosch race motor and range extender compatibility and it's slightly lighter weight and less travel compared to the Shuttle LT might make it slightly more nimble, but I think the reduced travel would compromise speed/stability on the gnarliest trails I ride (e.g. the Loam Wolf did a basic back to back climbing and descending test of the Shuttle AM vs the Shuttle LT - the AM was faster on the up but the LT was significantly faster on the down). There would be the option of switching the 36 fork to a 38 fork for more travel/stiffness.
-The Commencal Meta Power SX looks nice. It has the Bosch motor and range extender compatibility and offers the best value of these bikes (NZ $14600), but is heavier (being alloy) than the Shuttle LT so it may not be quite as nimble. Also, as some other members have noted on this forum, there are no online reviews of this bike, which is weird given that it's been released for a while?

Any thoughts/feedback on these rigs and how they might compare to the Shuttle LT would be appreciated!

At the end of the day, I'm keen to know whether it's worth the cost in switching over and also the fact that dealer support for the Commencal and Crestline wouldn't be anywhere near as good as for the Pivot (my local Pivot dealer is 1km down the road from me, whereas the Commencal and Crestline dealers are in different cities).

Thanks!

Mark

GeorgesEBike

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jul 30, 2018
Verdi, NV
I just want to mention that I've received the best customer service from Crestline. I wouldn't have any concerns with Crestline's support. Also think they have the best riding bikes around.

eTrax

Oct 17, 2019
USA - West Coast
This is always such a tough call especially if you are not able to try each bike.
From what you describe I would say Pivot AM may be out especially if your enjoying your current LT travel.

I think for wide open smashing the Crestline and Meta SX will dominate with the LT trailing and the AM not even in this category although I am sure the AM would be more than capable and definitely more fun in the slower trail speeds where the big bikes feel a bit numb.

How tall are you? The LT has more size options which is nice especially if your tall and dont want a super long sled.

Mark_H_NZ

Feb 26, 2024
Nelson, New Zealand
This is always such a tough call especially if you are not able to try each bike.
From what you describe I would say Pivot AM may be out especially if your enjoying your current LT travel.

I think for wide open smashing the Crestline and Meta SX will dominate with the LT trailing and the AM not even in this category although I am sure the AM would be more than capable and definitely more fun in the slower trail speeds where the big bikes feel a bit numb.

How tall are you? The LT has more size options which is nice especially if your tall and dont want a super long sled.

Thanks eTrax. I’m 184cm so ride a size Large. The LT is pretty good at smashing through chunder so I am wondering how much better, if at all, the Crestline and Meta could be. The lack of local dealer support for those 2 brands is a real worry - I can just go into my Pivot dealer for any issues with the LT. The lure of a Bosch motor is strong though!

Robstyle

Nov 17, 2021
New Zealand
Hey bro, I'll be in nelson next week with my Crestline if you wanna try it. Could be setup a bit small for you at 470 reach. But you'll get the idea. It's a proper rowdy machine.

The whole Crestline ownership experience has been great. I wouldn't worry they're not around the road...all bosch stuff is already in NZ, the frame is rock solid and if any other thing isn't quite right they'll have your back.

Mark_H_NZ

Feb 26, 2024
Nelson, New Zealand
Hey bro, I'll be in nelson next week with my Crestline if you wanna try it. Could be setup a bit small for you at 470 reach. But you'll get the idea. It's a proper rowdy machine.

The whole Crestline ownership experience has been great. I wouldn't worry they're not around the road...all bosch stuff is already in NZ, the frame is rock solid and if any other thing isn't quite right they'll have your back.
Hey Rob. That’s very kind of you! Which days will you be in Nelson? I’m in Wellington for work from next Wed through to the following Monday (13-18 March). Cheers, Mark.

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey
Hey Mark, another delighted UK Crestline customer here. I have had the fortune of riding the Shuttle LT in Finale Ligure for some time (and previously Firebird 29). I'm a Pivot fan but I prefer the Crestline because:
- Bosch motor. More powerful, and uses less battery. I can get about 1200m on Shimano in full power mode versus 1500m vertical on Bosch with 750Wh, so you can either enjoy the extra range, or pick a lighter battery.
- More playful and more capable. These would normally contradict each other, but the Crestline feels quicker but manages to stay fun, particularly if you are smashing down steep rooty terrain. Crestline can take some massive hits and encourages me to do things that I wouldn't do on other bikes, and lets me get away with it. The extra travel is worth a lot (energy in a spring goes up with travel^2, so going from 160 to 180mm means it can take (180/160)^2 = 27% bigger drops before bottoming. The Crestline has plenty of mid stroke support to pump, so it feels agile despite the extra travel.
- Since you mentioned racing, Bosch is indisputably the motor to be on (won Men's and Women's EDR with Canyon Strive On and Orbea. On the subject of Canyon, my mate has one and I prefer my Crestline, and the Orbea doesn't have a removable battery: two battery days on the Crestline are fun!). Race mode is rapid.

Anyhow, whatever you decide, enjoy, I'm certainly having a lot of fun on mine :)

mrhaboobi

Sep 17, 2023
New Zealand
Based in chch and just demo’d the shuttle am. Pivot New Zealand was Good enough to get a demo bike to me. 180cm and 103kg here. Bike was a medium. I don’t want larger. Really liked the shuttle but unfortunately no stock in medium in the country so might rule it out for you depending on size. Currently ride a trek slash analogue as a comparison. Looking at Rocky Mountain altitude as an option and the levo but again no stock.

Also fyi mondraker has a demo day this weekend in Nelson I believe. Might be able to try a crafty or level . Look up their New Zealand facebook Page.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles