Levo Gen 2 Comp sold out, upgrade standard Levo?

mikemurray

Oct 9, 2020
Portugal
Hi everyone, new to the forum. I had my heart set on a 2021 levo comp but its sold out at LBS and only standard version available. My choice is to wait 2+ months or get the standard Levo and upgrade it to a 700w battery. I'm 56 and have been riding a road bike (Spech Tarmac SL7 Pro) for almost 20 years but am completely new to mountain biking and e-bikes. I made the decision to buy the comp version based mostly on the 700w battery which I need as I plan to do many long XC rides. I've compared the specs of both and besides the battery, there is:

- Groupset - NX eagle vs SLX
- Rear shock - RockShox Deluxe Select vs FOX Float DPS Performance
- Front fork - Rockshox 35 Silver TK vs Fox Float 36 Rhythm

I plan to start riding this bike on easy trails / fire-roads and slowly progress to faster single-tracks and more technical terrain. I don't want to purchase the standard version and upgrade all of the above components unnecessarily. My plan is to buy standard levo for €5000 + new 700w battery for €1300 = €6300 which is the same price as the comp version. So instead of the upgraded components above I'll have a spare 500w battery. That great as I can get the bike tomorrow but only assuming that none of the components above are hugely better. My road experience tells me these are upgrades I will likely only appreciate in a few years from now.

Thanks for any advice you may have!

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I would wait...the Comp is significantly better specced than the base model this year.

Jeff H

May 19, 2019
San Jose, CA, USA
What’s the weather like in the coming months? Consider waiting If the bike won’t be ridden much. On the other hand if you just gotta have it (I don’t blame you :)) and have the $$ to upgrade as needed I say go for it.

Maybe hold off on the 700 wh battery until you see how far the 500 takes you. You might be pleasantly surprised and that money could be better spent on more worthwhile upgrades. To me the fork is the weak link and something you’d feel through your hands compared to a Fox 36 or RS Lyric speced with their premium dampers.

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
I sell Levos and the comp is the better value. I would wait, there are more coming in before the end of the year

Smeer

Mar 2, 2020
Vancouver
I had the same choice, went with the base as for me to wait would be until February. I ride three times a week on Canadian West Coast techy trails, without the ebike I can't exercise (due to odd medical issue). I'll upgrade the components over time (starting with tires and fork), so far, I notice the fork isn't great but it isn't stopping me from rolling down logs and rocks!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles