Code R's - cannot keep the stopping power constant.

mart1nn

Oct 3, 2023
Denmark
Hey
I am having some trouble with the Code R's that my Levo gen3 came with. It is the front brake that is pissing me off by not really having the same feel as the rear. Hard to explain, but it simply does not perform optimal to put it mildly. The bite is different from time to time and performing a stoppie is suddenly a bit challenge. The brake does work but I experience squeaks and it feels like it cannot apply constant pressure so the lever just keeps going down towards the bar.

My first idea was to change the pads as I thought they have been contaminated from the wet muddy riding I have been doing. Didn't fix it.
My rotor was somewhat bent (I could hear it) so I changed it. Didn't fix it.
Then I thought I am going to bleed it. Now I am not new to running SRAM brakes, but I followed a guide nevertheless. Didn't fix it. I experienced some oil dripping from the small hole on the bladder cap. Could that mean something? Punctured bladder? Succking air through it?

1712754076021.png

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Hey
I am having some trouble with the Code R's that my Levo gen3 came with. It is the front brake that is pissing me off by not really having the same feel as the rear. Hard to explain, but it simply does not perform optimal to put it mildly. The bite is different from time to time and performing a stoppie is suddenly a bit challenge. The brake does work but I experience squeaks and it feels like it cannot apply constant pressure so the lever just keeps going down towards the bar.

My first idea was to change the pads as I thought they have been contaminated from the wet muddy riding I have been doing. Didn't fix it.
My rotor was somewhat bent (I could hear it) so I changed it. Didn't fix it.
Then I thought I am going to bleed it. Now I am not new to running SRAM brakes, but I followed a guide nevertheless. Didn't fix it. I experienced some oil dripping from the small hole on the bladder cap. Could that mean something? Punctured bladder? Succking air through it?

View attachment 138024
that little hole is an air gap to allow the bladder to expand.....it is possible some Dot got between the cover and the bladder when you opened the bleed port and when you pressurise the lever the expanding bladder will push that out. that should be a one off however.............if Dot continues to come out of that hole it suggests the bladder is damaged and you will constantly lose pressure in the system. Removing the bladder cap and inspecting the bladder may tell you more a bout what is happening.

mart1nn

Oct 3, 2023
Denmark
I think it was an one off with the bladder.

I have advanced all pistons in the caliper, cleaned and put fresh DOT fluid on them. Did some cycles on extracting them, then push them back in and repeat. To be honest the brake felt better. I did a 20km ride afterwards and noticed that it was even worse than before once again.

Removed the pads, caliper off, pushed pistons back in and re-centered the caliper. Now it seems fine again but I wonder for how long ... At least one of the pistons does feel a bit hard to push back (like it is sticking ...). It might just be time for an upgrade ...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles