Levo Gen 3 Clip In Pedals?

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
It’s nice to see a balanced thread in this matter, with many folk (including myself) saying that you should try both as both have their advantages and disadvantages.

AOE4

Oct 30, 2022
idaho
I prefer shimano clipless pedals for nearly all types of riding. So accustomed to them after 22 years😁 as mentioned earlier the majority of pro riders use them... For good reason? In the end it is personal preference.

AOE4

Oct 30, 2022
idaho
Tour de France pros that use clipless. 100%

Red Bull rampage pros that use clipless 0%.

Cardio queen vs shredder.

But in all seriousness. An e-bike motors overrun covers your stroke transition and we’re not racing for 10th of a second here at a pro level. For fun biking flat shoes are best. But it’s much harder for a clipless person to shred on flats than a flat person to shred on clipless.
Personal preference.

smc_stefan

Oct 10, 2022
Austria
Tour de France pros that use clipless. 100%

Red Bull rampage pros that use clipless 0%.

Cardio queen vs shredder.

But in all seriousness. An e-bike motors overrun covers your stroke transition and we’re not racing for 10th of a second here at a pro level. For fun biking flat shoes are best. But it’s much harder for a clipless person to shred on flats than a flat person to shred on clipless.
Guess not too many of EMTB riders on this forum will or were ever racing at the Red Bull Rampage, that's just a handful of riders from the whole world and not a representative group. Don't remember anybody racing the Rampage on an EMTB either.

For reference it would be better to look into Downhill and Enduro, mainly SPDs can be seen there.

In the end it's personal preference, after 25 years of riding, I just use platforms on the dirt/pumptrack bike, anything else I do with SPDs. Once dialed in, you have so much more control with SPDs which I don't want to miss.

AOE4

Oct 30, 2022
idaho
Guess not too many of EMTB riders on this forum will or were ever racing at the Red Bull Rampage, that's just a handful of riders from the whole world and not a representative group. Don't remember anybody racing the Rampage on an EMTB either.

For reference it would be better to look into Downhill and Enduro, mainly SPDs can be seen there.

In the end it's personal preference, after 25 years of riding, I just use platforms on the dirt/pumptrack bike, anything else I do with SPDs. Once dialed in, you have so much more control with SPDs which I don't want to miss.
Well said. Thank you. Of course red bull crazies do not use clipless

Reactive

Apr 15, 2022
SF Bay Area, CA
Rode clipless for 20+ years. With first EMTB wanted to go to flats. Tried for 600 miles this summer: the flats were not the issue but the shoes were. Changed back to clipless with a new Sidi pair a couple weeks ago. 100+ miles back on clipless and I am loving it. Big change was finding how sore my quads are after riding now. Hmm..

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
clips until its snow and ice then i change to flats
I might do a flats winter experiment again on the eebs. The reason I ride clipless SPD pedals is I learnt to MTB on rigid bikes and they were a game changer back in the early 90's so kind of locked in to them. Some modern clipless SPD pedals have a large platform so can still be ridden unclipped in sketchy situations. I got a set of Look large platform flat pedals for my partner to ride her eebs on and she likes them.

LoneStar

Jun 22, 2022
Atlanta
Ah the timeless clipless vs flat conundrum. I've ridden and enjoy both, but find I always gravitate back to clipless. Flats I find are a solution to a problem I'm not having (i.e. getting unclipped). One of the other main reasons is my foot is always in the same position and I'm not having to reposition it while riding. I'm sure this gets more automatic over time, but refer back to reason #1 :) . Finally, I just feel more confident in the jumps I do while clipped in. Might feel differently if I was going big. I still keep my Ride Concepts and some flat pedals handy just to change things up sometimes though. Interesting article on PInkbike earlier this year with the clips/flats % for many of their editors. Overwhelmingly clipless for the most part FWIW. I was actually surprised by that.

Pinkbike pedal article

Mina08

Aug 21, 2018
Sweden
I might do a flats winter experiment again on the eebs. The reason I ride clipless SPD pedals is I learnt to MTB on rigid bikes and they were a game changer back in the early 90's so kind of locked in to them. Some modern clipless SPD pedals have a large platform so can still be ridden unclipped in sketchy situations. I got a set of Look large platform flat pedals for my partner to ride her eebs on and she likes them.
Flats for winter for me only as the snow and junk gets clogged up around my cleets in my shoes

Gropec

Dec 22, 2021
South of France
I ride the magpeg flat pedals since 1 week now.
I rode flat pedal before and was very afraid to ride clipless.
For me, the magnetic pedal Magpeg is the best of the 2 worlds
On climb, it really help me to be more efficient and on down hill my fott don't move as before.
I fell like i was clipsed on the bike.....
This pedal ave ti be considered as a flat pedal +++ and not as an clipless pedal.
Really happy with them for now

smc_stefan

Oct 10, 2022
Austria
Never really understood the English name either, in German and some other languages they're casually called "click pedals" aka "Klickpedale" as you click in but I found a rather good explanation on the web lately:

"The name “clipless” simply means there is no toe clip or strap to deal with. However, since pedal makers are still selling toe clips, they will always have first dibs on the word “clip.”
Of course, this creates a problem with naming the current “clipped -in” pedal design. The only option for manufacturers is to call these high-tech pedals “clipless.”

Just bought a new Levo Pro yesterday and will go clipless on the e-bike as well, initially wanted the Saint SPDs, but they were out of stock so I went for the XT Trail SPDs, lets see how they perform.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I ride the magpeg flat pedals since 1 week now.
I rode flat pedal before and was very afraid to ride clipless.
For me, the magnetic pedal Magpeg is the best of the 2 worlds
On climb, it really help me to be more efficient and on down hill my fott don't move as before.
I fell like i was clipsed on the bike.....
This pedal ave ti be considered as a flat pedal +++ and not as an clipless pedal.
Really happy with them for now
They are definitely a conversation starter on the trail. Used Magped’s for a few yrs on the eMTB and recently switched over to REM Avery Hustle. The pivoting magnetic seems to make a good positive connection.

I’ve since installed these peddles on both bikes and the metal plate (spd) on all my riding shoes/boots (4 pairs). They can also be used as flats if you don’t have a metal spd plate.

My neighbour, who rides clipless, gave them a try…just for fun. It was a serious moment if it wasn’t so funny. He couldn’t get out and I had to grab him and the bike before he was able to stop. He’s thinking about changing over to magnetic.

I personally cannot ride flats or clipless properly. Flats feel weird now and clipless don’t work for me. Without looking, or searching to much, I can resume or continue my ride. I can’t do that with any other type of peddle (flat/clipless). Also the audible click or snap helps. You can also make minor adjustments to your foot position on the fly
But they’re not for everyone.

Gropec

Dec 22, 2021
South of France
They are definitely a conversation starter on the trail. Used Magped’s for a few yrs on the eMTB and recently switched over to REM Avery Hustle. The pivoting magnetic seems to make a good positive connection.

I’ve since installed these peddles on both bikes and the metal plate (spd) on all my riding shoes/boots (4 pairs). They can also be used as flats if you don’t have a metal spd plate.

My neighbour, who rides clipless, gave them a try…just for fun. It was a serious moment if it wasn’t so funny. He couldn’t get out and I had to grab him and the bike before he was able to stop. He’s thinking about changing over to magnetic.

I personally cannot ride flats or clipless properly. Flats feel weird now and clipless don’t work for me. Without looking, or searching to much, I can resume or continue my ride. I can’t do that with any other type of peddle (flat/clipless). Also the audible click or snap helps. You can also make minor adjustments to your foot position on the fly
But they’re not for everyone.
I totally agree with you about there’s not for everyone!!

Il live in France and it wad easier to buy the Magpeg Enduro 2 than the Hustle.

I really like the feel on the magped, yu can heard the click😁, and it help me a lot in the hard technical climb.
I bought the strong plante too.

On the downhill with roots and rock, my foot stay in the same place on the pedal, that is a really good point

With the combo 200N magnet and the strong spd plate i can tell that sometime it is hard to unstick my foot from the pedal 😅, just did 4 rides with it, i need more rides

But i really like the feeling with this magnetic pedal

How is the Hustle compared to the magpeg ? Very heavy ??

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I totally agree with you about there’s not for everyone!!

Il live in France and it wad easier to buy the Magpeg Enduro 2 than the Hustle.

I really like the feel on the magped, yu can heard the click😁, and it help me a lot in the hard technical climb.
I bought the strong plante too.

On the downhill with roots and rock, my foot stay in the same place on the pedal, that is a really good point

With the combo 200N magnet and the strong spd plate i can tell that sometime it is hard to unstick my foot from the pedal 😅, just did 4 rides with it, i need more rides

But i really like the feeling with this magnetic pedal

How is the Hustle compared to the magpeg ? Very heavy ??
It certainly takes a few rides to get the hang of them but once you do…well, I won’t go to flats or clipless again. (Fyi, I won’t even take demo’s for a test spin unless I change the peddles.

The difference between Magped’s vs Hustle was very slight. Engagement and alignment with the Hustle was a little better and I’ve never had an accidental disengagement. The release method is about the same …sideways motion …but I don’t really think about it anymore. It just happens. 🤷‍♂️

Never weighed them to see the difference.
Btw; I use the shorter pins.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles