Levo Gen 3 Click on every revolution of the front wheel

LevoBiker

Feb 11, 2023
NJ
2023 Turbo Levo Comp Carbon:
Ever since purchasing bike this year, for every revolution of the front wheel, I hear a clicking noise when the valve stem reaches the top of it's travel. The noise is drowned out when riding on trail or on road with traffic, but can be readily and annoyingly heard when riding on quiet roadway. ONLY WHEN RIDING (not on the bike stand). Clicks when freewheeling or pedaling.
I am trying to rule out a weld breaking.
I swapped rims with another 29" wheel I had and there was no clicking with my spare wheel when riding the Levo, so this led me to bring the wheel to my LBS.
My LBS could not hear the clicking when the put the wheel on a different bike. They test bikes along a highway, however.
The LBS ruled out spokes or bearings.
It's not the rotor or brake pads. Clicks the same when applying brakes.
The presta valve stem nut is on good and snug.
Since this started from when I purchased the bike, it still has the stock tire and tube, which I pulled off to check the rim. The weld is exactly opposite of the valve stem hole. There is no visible break on the outside of the rim or on the inside edges of the rim. Since the wheel has rim tape, I did not want to cut it (yet) to see the rest of the weld.
I don't know for sure what these symptoms indicate and I'm not sure what a failing weld acts like. I'm presently riding trails with my spare wheel for now.
Any suggestions?

Last edited:

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Any suggestions?

What you describe is consistent with a loose alignment puck. Some aluminum rims use a flat piece of material to align the ends during assembly. The intention is that the puck will be wedged tightly and not move. In reality, sometimes the puck can shift as the wheel rotates, creating a clicking sound.

One way to resolve the problem is to use a center punch to peen the inside of the rim. Another is to drill a hole near the joint and shoot some expanding glue into the hole. Another is to let the bike store give you a new rim.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I had that exact problem and it turned out to be the tyre being held off the rim bead very slightly due to the rim tape in that location being folded over. Before you blame the wheel try examining the rim tape especially at the valve location which is where you have determined the noise occurs.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles