Cheap Suntour coil fork upgrade to ROCKSHOX 35 GOLD RL, worth it?

Vaau839

Mar 31, 2020
Uk
I've got a cheap SR Suntour XCM on a Cube Acid which is mainly used for city riding and easy trails, that fork is probably at the end of its life after more than 10k km. I was wondering if RockShox 35 GOLD RL would be a worthy upgrade for my use case or should I just ride my Suntour until it breaks. The upgrade would be around £150-160 (new fork, used wheel) which is not bad, considering I have to change out the wheel too.

Last edited:

Jurassic

Subscriber
Jul 22, 2022
Helensburgh, Scotland.
I put a Gold 30 on my old bikepacking bike and it was surprisingly decent for the money and quite light as well. My one major criticism of it was that it was quite flexy with 30mm stanchions but that shouldn't be an issue on a 35mm chassis. Having had some experience of the cheapo Suntour forks on my wife's bike I'd say that it would be a significant upgrade on what you're riding just now.

Tony4wd

Subscriber
Aug 3, 2022
Australia
You don't need anything fancy for city and easy trails. Anything from Recon silver upwards will do the job. If you can pay a little more to jump to the next level of fork go for that.

Last edited:

Vaau839

Mar 31, 2020
Uk
You don't need anything fancy for city and easy trails. Anything from Recon silver upwards will do the job. If you can pay a little more to jump to the next level of fork go for that.
So I only got the idea of upgrading because there's a deal on 35 GOLD RL for £126 Inc delivery which seems to be cheaper than any other new air fork and it seems like it would be a noticeable upgrade from basic coil forks. RockShox 35 Gold RL DebonAir 29" BOOST Fork

Tony4wd

Subscriber
Aug 3, 2022
Australia
If you want to keep the bike grab that deal since it's a cheap upgrade (definitely an upgrade over worn XCM forks) . The alternative would be to put the money towards a dual suspension bike instead - depends on your priorities.

I just bought a new Orbea Rise for my wife since she only has a Cube Reaction - of course I'm riding it a lot for her to get it all straightened out and working how we like it :)

Jurassic

Subscriber
Jul 22, 2022
Helensburgh, Scotland.
So I only got the idea of upgrading because there's a deal on 35 GOLD RL for £126 Inc delivery which seems to be cheaper than any other new air fork and it seems like it would be a noticeable upgrade from basic coil forks. RockShox 35 Gold RL DebonAir 29" BOOST Fork
Honestly, at that price you can't go far wrong. As I mentioned above it'll be a big improvement over the existing forks.

Julie_X1

Jan 22, 2023
Canada
Husband has a 35 Gold RL. At that price, it’ll be a notable improvement over what you have now. Get it.

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
When buying RockShox 35 GOLD RL check (remove the pressure for example) that fork moves without any stickness. There was a batch around 2020-2021 where the bushings were I guess too tight. There's no way you can fix if not sent back to Rockshox to make factory recall.

Vaau839

Mar 31, 2020
Uk
Update: the difference between forks is absolutely mental, feels like riding on a perfectly paved road all the time compared to Suntour. Upper body fatigue is also much lower with a properly set up fork.
The swap was not as straightforward as I thought it would be since Cube cheaped out on a headset. It was only compatible with a straight steerer fork and had caged ball bearings so that had to be changed to a new one.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles