Charger Cable.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Can someone do me a favour and have a quick look at their charger cable for me?

My Jam2 has developed yet another electrical glitch, the battery won't charge and I am eliminating various possibilities.

I have four Rosenberg connectors on various cables (charger, TEC pack and E-Booz). All but the charger have two main contact points and two pairs of small 'data' connectors. The charger Rosenberg that connects into the bike, has the two main connectors but only one pair 'data' connectors.

Is this normal as I am just wondering if these have been pushed into the casing somehow?

Thanks

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
Can someone do me a favour and have a quick look at their charger cable for me?

My Jam2 has developed yet another electrical glitch, the battery won't charge and I am eliminating various possibilities.

I have four Rosenberg connectors on various cables (charger, TEC pack and E-Booz). All but the charger have two main contact points and two pairs of small 'data' connectors. The charger Rosenberg that connects into the bike, has the two main connectors but only one pair 'data' connectors.

Is this normal as I am just wondering if these have been pushed into the casing somehow?

Thanks

My charger cable plug...
IMG_20210505_103055.jpg

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Thanks Stiv, that is just what mine looks like so I think it's a case of motor and battery out and all connections checked and cleaned.
Hope that's all it is otherwise it's back to the dealer and he will no doubt insist on loading the latest firmware, which I don't want.

Last edited:

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
Thanks Stiv, that is just what mine looks like so I think it's a case of motor and battery out and all connections checked and clean.
Hope that's all it is otherwise it's back to the dealer and he will no doubt insist on loading the latest firmware, which I don't want.

No problem, I presume it's just the frame battery that isn't charging?

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
No problem, I presume it's just the frame battery that isn't charging?

It is Stiv but, true to form, I put it on charge an hour ago and it is currently happily charging away. No problem charging TEC battery at all.

I'm looking at:
Connector terminals in frame slightly worn (they are not dirty or corroded).
Dodgy connection elsewhere.
4.5 model charger throwing a wobbly.

I've had the bike just over two and a half years, did 2000 miles on the first motor and 1300 on the current one and whilst I like the bike itself, it has been plagued by electrical issues from when it was two months old.

By contrast, the Spectral On 6 I bought very cheaply, as a spare, just over two years and 2,600 miles ago, which has the same E8000 motor, has been absolutely faultless.

Ah well! such are the vagaries of electrics on MTBs

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
It is Stiv but, true to form, I put it on charge an hour ago and it is currently happily charging away. No problem charging TEC battery at all.

I'm looking at:
Connector terminals in frame slightly worn (they are not dirty or corroded).
Dodgy connection elsewhere.
4.5 model charger throwing a wobbly.

I've had the bike just over two and a half years, did 2000 miles on the first motor and 1300 on the current one and whilst I like the bike itself, it has been plagued by electrical issues from when it was two months old.

By contrast, the Spectral On 6 I bought very cheaply, as a spare, just over two years and 2,600 miles ago, which has the same E8000 motor, has been absolutely faultless.

Ah well! such are the vagaries of electrics on MTBs

Indeed, I've had my Jam2 for nearly two and a half years, 2800 miles on the original motor and no electrical problems as yet... ?

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
The charging problem came back but I think I have cured it, or at least I have for the last two charges. My remedy was to push small pieces of metal foil (type used for cooking) into the two main contacts in the charger cable Rosenberg connector to help with the electrical connection, which it seems to have done

If this problem has hit me I cannot believe someone else will not find themselves in the same situation sooner or later.

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
FWIW my internal battery would not turn on or charge .....it turned out the connectors if the internal battery were corroded .
possibly as a result of me trying to cross a 2ft deep ford .
Bought a new battery anyway as old one was on the way out........bit like its owner really.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles