Changing to DI2

Mauko

Jul 16, 2019
Finland
I’m thinking of changing the derailleur to DI2, but wanted to check a few things before I do. I know I’ll need to change the settings in eg StepsUnlocker from mech to elec, but would like to check other things...

Firstly, what is the best way to access the electrical connections in the motor? Do I need to temporarily remove the motor? If yes, do I need to disconnect something from the motor first? I will obviously remove the battery before starting.

Is there a free socket for the etube cable in the motor? From the manual I can see that there are three sockets in the motor, can I just plug to the free one?

Does someone know how long cable I should get between the motor and the derailleur?

Anything else I should consider besides the obvious cable to the shifter and the mechanical installation?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I think you got lost in the xmas quite time :)

It's all been answered before, but the search words are too common or too short, so it doesn't come up.

Stunlocker to change from mechanical to di2. You can do that now, it will detect there's no di2 installed and carry on as mechanical.

Remove the left side motor cover to expose the cable connections (4 no.1 phillips screws). There's a spare socket with a cover plug ,where the di2 can plug in. If you're careful - and depending where things already run, you might get away with pulling the new cable through one way or the other using the existing mechanical cable.

If you need to drop the motor, you can leave the back two bolts in and it will swing down on them.

Shifter cable connects to one of the spare ports on the back of the e8000 display (or whatever you're using).

Can't remember the cable length - 700 ?

lamomie

Jul 3, 2019
France
yes you have to drop the motor and let it rotate on the two rear screws, the cable between the derailleur and the motor is a bit short: ref EWsd50, a tip, pass a strap in the axle of the crankset which will support the motor to prevent it from tipping too much.

di2.JPG

20191110_114953.jpg

Mauko

Jul 16, 2019
Finland
yes you have to drop the motor and let it rotate on the two rear screws, the cable between the derailleur and the motor is a bit short: ref EWsd50, a tip, pass a strap in the axle of the crankset which will support the motor to prevent it from tipping too much.

View attachment 23677

View attachment 23678

Cool, thanks. I guess the 700mm cable should be sufficient. I would not want to start the operation without knowing I can make it as eg the DI2 cables could be challenging to get from the LBS...

vicvega

Jul 30, 2021
Sweden
I have a 2021 Decoy with EP8 motor and want to fit Di2 (RD-M8050-GS).
Easiest would be to plug it into one of the three ports on the motor
Does anyone know if there is any port available on the motor, or are all in use?
(I didn't get the motor out on the first try so haven't been able to look)

db840

Sep 28, 2019
Canada
Yes there will be one free port on the motor for you to plug into. Please be aware that the RD-M8050-GS is a 11 speed derailleur and good up a max of a 46 tooth sprocket. Don't you have a 12 speed cassette?

vicvega

Jul 30, 2021
Sweden
Thanks, yes will change cassette to 11 speed as well.
Do you know how the power on/off switch is connected on the Decoy? On some bikes it uses the third port on the motor.

db840

Sep 28, 2019
Canada
The motor will have three ports: 1 for the speed sensor, 1 for the display and 1 free port that you use for the derailleur. There are also 2 screw connectors for lights. Finally to the left side of all that, but not in this picture, is the big main power cable/on/off switch harness .

EP8 Ports.PNG

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles