Change cassette or freehub?

GaryT

May 11, 2020
South Lakes
Have 2020 Levo Comp and decided to change rear wheel for 27.5 (mullet). Bought second hand Roval wheel with XD driver assuming as the Levo had SRAM cassette XD would be right. Upon taking the 29 wheel off discovered it was a standard Shimano freehub. S**t!
What is the easiest/cheapest way forward? I think I could buy 11speed XD cassette around £60-£80 or change freehub to Shimano - how easy/costly is that. Any and all advice welcome.

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
Shimano CS-M7000-11 sells for about 60 bucks and it's probably your cheapest option.

Shimano-SLX-CS-M7000-Cassette

I installed this in 2018 and it shifted better than the 0EM SRAM 10-42 cassette that came on the bike. It's not a one piece and you have to be very careful in assembling all the parts or it will not tighten down but otherwise it is fine.

Last edited:

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
Thx, is this for the Shimano freehub? The problem I have is that my 27.5 wheel is an XD fit. One solution is to change this to Shimano and I wondered how easy is that?

Pretty easy, but it depends on your hubs, as the hub->freehub is not a standard. But as folks have said, it may be cheaper to get a (edit!) SRAM/XD cassette. Also means less to change over when you swap wheels.

Here's an example of a DT hub, switching between Shimano and SRAM. Other way round but gives you an idea.

Last edited:

GaryT

May 11, 2020
South Lakes
Pretty easy, but it depends on your hubs, as the hub->freehub is not a standard. But as folks have said, it may be cheaper to get a (edit!) SRAM/XD cassette. Also means less to change over when you swap wheels.

Here's an example of a DT hub, switching between Shimano and SRAM. Other way round but gives you an idea.
Video helped thx. Took the Shimano Freehub off the original 29 wheel and replaced the XD driver on the 27.5 wheel. Ended up using one Shimano End cap on the drive side but the original bits on the rotor side. Also took rotor off 29 and added it to the 27.5. Given my track record of messing things up I knew nothing would line up when replacing the wheel but incredibly everything was perfect apart from a tiny adjustment ofthe brake caliper. Quick test ride and all ok. Bike feels much better for me with the backend dropped down although the difference in BB height was only about 11/12mm. I have left the flip chip on low and will see how it goes. I expected a larger difference!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles