Chain worn to 75% in 2 months/350 miles

BadgerHun7er

Jan 1, 2021
Northamptonshire, UK
I bought a Haibike Allmtn7 at the start of Nov. I have checked my chain and it is already showing 0.75 on the park tool checker so it is already overdue being changed. I ride mostly bridleways and chainset is normally caked in mud within minutes of leaving the house. Is this chain wear normal for an ebike? I have been riding similar routes twice a week for the past 15 years on analogue bikes and normally change my chain once a year and cassette once every 2 years. Analogue set up = XTR cassette 2x10, KMC chain gold, SRAM chain rings and SRAM X9 mech. Ebike running Shimano XT 1x12 (all components)

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
I've been riding in similar conditions and had to replace the first chain after 230 miles...
For 12 speed you should replace the chain at 0.5mm wear. You are going to need a new cassette too at 0.75mm ?
Probably best leaving it on now until it all starts skipping then replace both together.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
yeah I got about 400 miles from my shimano 12 speed chain before it became 0.7 worn. I put a new chain on ,while keeping the old cassette, and its actually fine - no skipping , butI know a lot of people have experienced skipping when using a new chain.

andyb2

Jan 10, 2020
somerset
I had the original kmc 12 speed chain on my Trance, and measured it after around 300 miles:
20201209_123000.jpg

I read that as 0.75 so repaced it with an slx 12 speed chain, pictured here after one ride:
20210105_110054.jpg

to my untrained eye, they measure the same, so I guess it's either a bad tool (cheapy one from amazon), or I'm reading it wrong, and the chain didnt need to be replaced.

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
I had the original kmc 12 speed chain on my Trance, and measured it after around 300 miles:
View attachment 49221

I read that as 0.75 so repaced it with an slx 12 speed chain, pictured here after one ride:
View attachment 49222

to my untrained eye, they measure the same, so I guess it's either a bad tool (cheapy one from amazon), or I'm reading it wrong, and the chain didnt need to be replaced.
I'm still using a crappy tool that was a giveaway with a magazine. Really must invest in a decent one.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Managed 1000 miles on KMC chain on 11 speed SLX cassette.

changed chain as soon as it reached 0.75 on park tools checker

new chain caused terrible chain suck on the small front T15 Bosch chainring. Had to flip ring over to other side. You can get double the life that way.

Cassette absolutely fine. No skipping in any gear

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips
Personally I would just change the whole shebang to 10 speed, its cheaper to replace, harder wearing and you certainly don't need 12 speed on a FF EEB. As for brake pads if you set em up properly and make the effort to bed em in on a nice steep hill they'll last twice as long! And if they don't stop dragging your brakes.???

matt_thebeard

Dec 4, 2020
south wales
Personally I would just change the whole shebang to 10 speed, its cheaper to replace, harder wearing and you certainly don't need 12 speed on a FF EEB. As for brake pads if you set em up properly and make the effort to bed em in on a nice steep hill they'll last twice as long! And if they don't stop dragging your brakes.???
my riding buddy said the same brakes are for loosers haha

TheRealPoMo

Apr 18, 2020
Queensland
Eagle NX 12 speed. 2600km to .75 where chain was replaced. Cassette and little Bosch gen 2 chainring still fine. Shifts perfectly.
Mostly dry conditions in shale/dusty clay. Lubed and wiped chain every 50km or so.
I reckon sandy and flinty mud would be a killer though. Grinding compound.

Andrie

May 20, 2020
NorCal
my first chain, KMC E12 lasted 1060 miles and I changed it just before it hit 0.7 wear. I do rinse my bike almost after every ride.

kombos

Dec 18, 2019
Arizona
Changed stock chain on my Levo at about 1200 miles when it was right at 0.5%. Ride almost exclusively dry desert.

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
Twice I've made the mistake of being in so much mud that the wheels couldn't turn and the bike probably with mud weighted over 100 lbs. Pretty hard to understand how that could work on a routine basis.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I measure the chain when new and later at intervals with a vernier calliper gauge. I have the skills to use it so that I get the same result on repeated measurements of the same section of chain. The problem is that if I measure a different section of chain, I can often get a different result!

The best way of course is to remove the chain and measure 100 links with a steel tape measure. If it measures more then 50-3/8" it is time to replace it.

Pine Sport

Apr 28, 2020
Surrey Hills
I bought a Haibike Allmtn7 at the start of Nov. I have checked my chain and it is already showing 0.75 on the park tool checker so it is already overdue being changed. I ride mostly bridleways and chainset is normally caked in mud within minutes of leaving the house. Is this chain wear normal for an ebike? I have been riding similar routes twice a week for the past 15 years on analogue bikes and normally change my chain once a year and cassette once every 2 years. Analogue set up = XTR cassette 2x10, KMC chain gold, SRAM chain rings and SRAM X9 mech. Ebike running Shimano XT 1x12 (all components)
It’s all to do with shifting;
If you shift under load or power you will go through chains and has others have said, cassettes too with 12spd at anything over .5 worn. Back off the gas a bit as you change and you’ll get way more life from both.
Keeping them clean and lubed after each ride may seem a faff but this makes a difference too.

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
With the park tool with the pivot and gauge not the fixed gauges , a new chain often reads .5 ..the wear can feel apparent , especially less elegant shifting ...the at the terminal end point it jumps and when it's skipping if hung it's 1/2 link longer. It becomes a bit baffling to bother until it skips. Then I think it's possibly all toast.

Jugglematt

Jun 29, 2020
Australia
..... sorry to hijack the thread ,,,, i have wondered if this is a good option for my focus thron . Currently at 2600km . At the moment a have 12 speed shimano cassette . Running 2x chains and using parafin wax/ teflon lube . But same as above most of the time i dont feel i need the 12 speed drive train. how difficult is it to swap out to a 10 speed or even 11 speed when the chain and cassette are worn . Lower cost drive train. Is it worth it ?
Thanks , matt

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
About 1800 miles on original XT chainring and cassette, still good. On second chain. And third derailleur.

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
I would bet that a deore 10 speed cassette , a 10 speed chain and a 10 speed shifter might suffice. Maybe Gary knows if you can keep the derailleur. But apparently the Shimano 12 sp clutch is part of the problem because it isn't a robust as the sram

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles