Chain vs cable for bike security

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
Which is best. I have investigated, some say chain others say steel cable. The problem is they compare them for strength and strength may mean load rather than difficulty cutting. I've currently got a chain and big gold rated lock but I need 3 pairs of hands to secure the bike and if I drop the chain in the process, which I often do, there is a risk of damaging the bike. I've seen Kryptonite cable 7' long which looks ideal for my purposes to secure my bike in the garage. I already have a permanent plate fixed to the wall.

Al

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
I'd go for a chain every time. In my garage I've put the ground anchor closer to the wall than Steve so when the bike is in place it's obscured.

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
Which is best. I have investigated, some say chain others say steel cable. The problem is they compare them for strength and strength may mean load rather than difficulty cutting. I've currently got a chain and big gold rated lock but I need 3 pairs of hands to secure the bike and if I drop the chain in the process, which I often do, there is a risk of damaging the bike. I've seen Kryptonite cable 7' long which looks ideal for my purposes to secure my bike in the garage. I already have a permanent plate fixed to the wall.

Al
Easy. Chain. A decent chain is better than pretty much any cable lock. Cable locks can be cut with hand tools that fit in your pocket. A decent (but portable) cable needs a long bolt cutter.

Possible exception are Litelock Gold thick cable locks, but they weigh similar to a chain.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
I use an inner tube as a sheath over the top of chain. moped inner tube if really thick chain.

the problem today is that small cordless anglegrinders are easy to carry and relatively inexpensive. cut through most padlocks in seconds.

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
Chain, without doubt - preferably rated Sold Secure: Gold. I use a couple of the Kryptonite Evolution chains and ground anchors.
I fully expect a determined and well equipped thief could make their way through most deterrents, but I like to think my setup would buy me enough time to make it out to the garage with the persuader ?

Monkey Dog

Jun 4, 2020
Derbyshire
Check out Almax chains. I purchased one for my Fiancée's Yam 600. Coupled with a Abloy 362 or suitable Squire CS padlock. Thieves are having an headache. Batteries in cordless grinders run flat whilst cutting these badboys & they have a noise signature. Only way to cut these in an efficient manner is with portable oxy acetylene.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
If you're going to use a cable lock to chain any part of the bike to the frame. put the cable through the fork (between stanchions and fork arch) as well as the front wheel.
Bike theives know the worth of bike parts and the re-sell value of a decent fork, bars, stem, front brake etc. is miles higher than a front wheel.
it takes a savy bike theif about a minute to remove the whole front end of a bike by simply cutting the rear brake hose, dropper and shifter cables and removing the top cap and undoing the stem bolts. If the wheel is locked to the frame it takes only seconds to remove the through axle.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Do you lock up your bikes at home, or are you just asking about locking up when out and about?

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I'm locking up in the garage that is attached to the house. It has bolts on the rear access door and a 3/4" bolts either side on the up and over door. The window is boarded up following a previous break in some years ago when my Trek Fuel was stolen. I'm using a very thick chain and a fully rated heavy lock although neither is bicycle specific. The issue is that both are very hard to manhandle and threading it as Gary suggests, which is a good idea and one I agree with, would be almost impossible and the weight of the chain could damage the spokes. .
Hence the cable question. I may have to consider a more manageable lock and combine the chain with a cable for the more difficult to reach parts.

Al

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Check out Almax chains. I purchased one for my Fiancée's Yam 600. Coupled with a Abloy 362 or suitable Squire CS padlock. Thieves are having an headache. Batteries in cordless grinders run flat whilst cutting these badboys & they have a noise signature. Only way to cut these in an efficient manner is with portable oxy acetylene.
For a motorcycle, you can't beat a rotor lock.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
WHen I just had 1 bike I used a 12mm chain passed through the frame and then through a ground anchor which was bolted into the concrete garage floor, now I've got more bikes a chain just isnt practical. So now I have a stand like this one

Bicycle Rack Robust 3,4 or 5 bikes (Fixings Included) Customers favourite · Barriers Direct

to keep all the bikes upright and seperate , and then have a 12mm steel cable passed through the frames and back through the ground anchor, but I'm under no illusion that if a thief turns up with the right tools , all this will do is slow them down a little. Just look on you tube for how easy it is to cut through steel cable with the right hand tool.

A few years ago my neighbour had his bikes stolen from his brick built detached garage, they went in to the garage through the pitched tiled roof, cut the chains that were locking the bikes to a ground anchor and then out of the side door. Aside from the bikes being stolen they cause significant damage to the roof of his garage. my neighbour and I were both at home and didnt notice a thing while they were taking them

Last edited:

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
One of the reasons given in support of cable was that it tended to not cut cleanly and left strands which were difficult to deal with. I have no idea of the merits of this argument hence the question.

Al

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I'll stick with the chain then. :) I'm not naive enough to think that there is such a thing as 100% security but I do want to make taking the bike from the garage as difficult as is humanly possible. I've also checked with my insurance. The full price of the bike is covered and there are no prerequisites for "Gold" rated locks etc. I may invest in a "Kryptonite New York forgetaboutit" lock though.

Al

Jul 19, 2019
West Lancs
If you use a chain then tips for making it harder to break are:
  • Don't leave slack - makes it harder to get a good angle / purchase with croppers
  • Have the anchor point inaccessible
  • Have the lock inaccessible as possible (other than for you putting the key in!)
  • Don't have the lock or chain on the floor - can't whack it easily
The photo from @steve_sordy is pretty good, but if possible moving the lock off the floor to secure on the "bike end" of the chain would be good, and as mentioned siting the anchor to be less accessible.

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
For a motorcycle, you can't beat a rotor lock.

I disagree. It's just a matter of disconnecting the rotor and brake caliper. That's how most Ducati's were nicked in my biking days. Bastards didn't care about a few scratches and a bit of damage when the thing was for the chop anyway.

Those of us using rotor locks soon learned (after the second bent rotor) to fasten a bit of coloured chord from the lock to the throttle...

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I disagree. It's just a matter of disconnecting the rotor and brake caliper. That's how most Ducati's were nicked in my biking days. Bastards didn't care about a few scratches and a bit of damage when the thing was for the chop anyway.

Those of us using rotor locks soon learned (after the second bent rotor) to fasten a bit of coloured chord from the lock to the throttle...
fair enough. The rotor locks were one of the few that were hard to break open by an expert. He has managed to break everything open; the rotor lock was the hardest.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
If you're going to use a cable lock to chain any part of the bike to the frame. put the cable through the fork (between stanchions and fork arch) as well as the front wheel.
Why did I never think of that before? :unsure:
I love common sense solutions. :love:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I'll stick with the chain then. :) I'm not naive enough to think that there is such a thing as 100% security but I do want to make taking the bike from the garage as difficult as is humanly possible. I've also checked with my insurance. The full price of the bike is covered and there are no prerequisites for "Gold" rated locks etc. I may invest in a "Kryptonite New York forgetaboutit" lock though.

Al
What you need is an alarm mine, like this:

It is a spring loaded, trip wire release and fires a blank shotgun cartridge. Guaranteed to scare the crap out of anyone invading your garage. Just attach the trip wire to your bike, unobtrusively of course.

Here is a video:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Why did I never think of that before? :unsure:
I love common sense solutions. :love:
Want Another common sense tip?
NEVER post pics of your security measures online! Especially not along with your FULL NAME and Location details.
It's not too late to delete that shit bro.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
I think anchor rope could be the answer. Nice thick rope done up every night with a fancy knot. Sure to confuse a common thief that turns up with a bolt cutter.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Want Another common sense tip?
NEVER post pics of your security measures online! Especially not along with your FULL NAME and Location details.
It's not too late to delete that shit bro.

Don't make the old man paranoid. I bet you couldn't get within a mile radius of where he lives even if you had a New York kryptonite detector thingy.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I've zero interest in being 100 miles from Steve's sleepy little village or stealing his bike.
That wasn't my point.

Last edited:

maynard

Subscriber
Bike theives know the worth of bike parts and the re-sell value of a decent fork, bars, stem, front brake etc. is miles higher than a front wheel.
it takes a savy bike theif about a minute to remove the whole front end of a bike by simply cutting the rear brake hose, dropper and shifter cables and removing the top cap and undoing the stem bolts. If the wheel is locked to the frame it takes only seconds to remove the through axle.
Pinched a few bikes huh Gary? Naughty boy .

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Nah mate

067azcng8bv11.jpg

I've done a fair few insurance quotes for high end components robbed from "secured" bikes though ;)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles