Chain snapped and lost. New chain now jumps?

Apr 22, 2020
Lancashire
So my chain snapped last night. Unfortunately I was unable to find the chain at all. Luckily or unluckily I had a new chain at home. Fitted it today, same chain as original ( Shimano 11) when pedalling with no load it work fine and shifts with zero issues. As soon as I get on the bike if I go into gears 7 to 11 it jumps. Gears 1 to 6 are fine. It's an electric derailleur. Any ideas? Thank you.....

Snrbrtsn

Apr 7, 2021
Uk - Scotland
I’d check your hanger bracket for alignment, thereafter check cable tension & free movement (no unusual kinks in routing)
it is common to rapidly wear sprocket with a worn chain a lot depends on age/use

Apr 22, 2020
Lancashire
Hi, thanks. I did some googling (lol) and thought it may be the cassette just wanted some confirmation. I've ordered a new cassette , same as original , and I'm under no illusions I may need a new chain ring but I'll fit the cassette and see how it goes.

Had bike from very near new, and I've currently done 2000 miles on it , done lots of mountains and long rides on it, so I knew I was in the area for a new chain at least but didn't realise I'd have to do the other bits but hey ho, love my bike, learning as I go along. I've spent more on tools to do the jobs than parts so far but I'm here for the long road so all tools will pay for themselves...

Thanks all

Apr 22, 2020
Lancashire
I’d check your hanger bracket for alignment, thereafter check cable tension & free movement (no unusual kinks in routing)
it is common to rapidly wear sprocket with a worn chain a lot depends on age/use

Hanger is fine and it's an electronic shifter and I've checked alignment. It's definitely the results of.chain stretch / wear n tear

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
you could run 2 chains on the same cassette and swap between them regularly. At least that way if 1 breaks and can't be shortened you still have the 2nd.

Apr 22, 2020
Lancashire
you could run 2 chains on the same cassette and swap between them regularly. At least that way if 1 breaks and can't be shortened you still have the 2nd.

Yeah man , that's my plan , I'm gonna get 100 miles on new chain first and then get another and swap at intervals........ Learning as I go along. I'm very practically minded, so I've no problems doing the work.

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips
Your chain ran fine then started jumping when you changed it, its your cassette end of, don't waste time farting about checking anything else!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles