Chain ring frustration

vicsalt

Aug 15, 2021
UK
Cube Reaction Hybrid Performance 500 2021
I am trying to change the front sprocket from a standard 38 to 40, ordered from Tredz there recommendations, sprocket and chain ring removal tool, however the removal tool is too large, mine is around 42 dia, I'm struggling to find anything , they all see to quote Performance line which is what my Bosch motor is, mine is the 2021 GEN3 looking for help, I'm slowly throwing money at it and getting pissed off wish i hadn't bothered,
these are the items Tredz suggested, i can try the sprocket at the tool doesn't fit, trying to establish if i need to send both parts back ?

FSA Bosch E-Bike Direct Mount Chainring & Guard | Tredz Bikes
Ice Toolz Bosch Lockring Tool | Tredz Bikes

Image of mine and rough sizes
chainring.PNG

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
how much is the Park tool one? Thats the same part but likely a lot more expensive

if you read the reviews for the XLC one I linked to from Tredz it says it'll fit Bosch gen 4 lockrings. plus I bought that same part and can confirm it fits the Bosch gen 4 locking

when I was searching for one a while back I found that any tool marketed as "Bosch e bike compatible" was about twice the price and more often than not sold out. but the other tools just listed as BB tool (which is what they are) are much cheaper and available!

nasamorpheus

Jul 17, 2020
Ljubljana
I have sram 1*12 on cube stereo hybrid 140, I would like to go faster downhill, what can I do? Change front sprocket? How much speed would I gain?

vicsalt

Aug 15, 2021
UK
i have now changed the sprocket from 38t to 40t i have a speedbox 3 so get assist always as in no 15 mph limit, a quick blast down the road suggets i can run in top gear 9th at close to 28/30 mph. on the 38t was more like 24/25 mph , will no more tomorrow on my normal commute

vicsalt

Aug 15, 2021
UK
how much is the Park tool one? Thats the same part but likely a lot more expensive

if you read the reviews for the XLC one I linked to from Tredz it says it'll fit Bosch gen 4 lockrings. plus I bought that same part and can confirm it fits the Bosch gen 4 locking

when I was searching for one a while back I found that any tool marketed as "Bosch e bike compatible" was about twice the price and more often than not sold out. but the other tools just listed as BB tool (which is what they are) are much cheaper and available!
mines GEN3

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles