Chain link tip

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
Do you not need a working chain breaker to remove the broken link?
Yes you do, The video shows a method to open up the chain link "Same as squashing together to open"
But, if youve snapped/ broke a chain you will still need a chain tool, breaker.

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
Do you not need a working chain breaker to remove the broken link?
The pin was broken on 1 side of the link. I had managed to break the other side open by bending the 2 plates to the outside.

I only couldn't get the shimano quicklink open

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
a far easier and quicker solution is to take a spare chain with you, ready cut to size with a new masterlink. You then do not need to take a chain breaker with you and a decent one does not weight much less than a spare chain.....and the multi tool ones are invariably useless!!

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
a far easier and quicker solution is to take a spare chain with you, ready cut to size with a new masterlink. You then do not need to take a chain breaker with you and a decent one does not weight much less than a spare chain.....and the multi tool ones are invariably useless!!
I now bought a lezyne multi chain pliers wich does the job and is very lightweight.

I just thought It's a usefull trick that's worth sharing

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Crankbrothers F16 multitool chainbreaker also works brilliantly, it’s saved me quite a few times 😉👍

Twisted Fork

Nov 1, 2022
British Columbia, Canada
I had to use the shoelace technique for the first time a couple of months ago. Although I eventually got it to work, it was a huge pain because the chain kept flipping sideways due to the slightly off centre pull angle created by the string as it crosses over itself. Would probably be ok with a quick link that has been attached/detached a few times already to loosen it up. I’m guessing the link in the video was well worn because it looked pretty effortless. I had to pull with every bit of strength I had before mine finally popped. When it finally released, the chain flipped sideways again and the force of the string on the newly freed end links actually splayed them apart, popping the rollers out and nearly flinging them off into the bush.

That chain in the video was still installed taught on the bike, preventing it from twisting too much. But the vast majority of field chain repairs would actually be done on a flaccid chain.

Using the chainring as a base to hammer against might actually be a lot more effective. I wonder if a narrow/wide chainring might cause problems, as you’d have to seat two narrow links on adjacent teeth. Could use the cassette teeth in that event I suppose.
*edit - I was mistaken… the narrow-wide placement actually probably wouldn’t be an issue with that technique after all.

The OneUp quicklink pliers from their EDC tool line would have actually been worth their hefty price tag there. They only weigh 7 grams and are very compact. But they were in my other pack that day. May be time to spring for a second set.

Last edited:

E-MAD MALC

Subscriber
Nov 16, 2021
EAST SUSSEX
I see that hack a while back I have tried it and if I did manage to brake the park tool jobby then I know what I can revert too

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles