• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Chain coming off chainring

pgrbff

Jun 29, 2021
Serole
My son complains that the chain regularly comes off the chainring, it's an 11 speed allmtn Haibike, and this has happened from new.
Two questions combined. The first is "what does the arrowed item do and how is it adjusted?
The second is could the chain be coming off simply because of bad practise, cadence etc, or could there be another reason, ie item above not adjusted correctly? Or both?

CHAINRING 1.jpeg

CHAINRING 2.jpeg

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
That's called the chainguide and it looks to be set correctly - ie at 38 for use with a 38 tooth chain wheel. Some bikes don't even use a chainguide so it's not always critical.

It maybe your son changing gear badly but it could be a part of the rear derailleur not set correctly. Some have a clutch mechanism to help keep the chain tensioned. If you can take a picture of the derailleur from the side we should be able to check that for you.

pgrbff

Jun 29, 2021
Serole
I thought it was the chain guide but didn't understand the relevance of the numbers. I never understood the need for a clutch on the derailleur until now either.
Side view of the derailleur.

derail 1.jpeg

derail 2.jpeg

pgrbff

Jun 29, 2021
Serole
Knowing nothing about modern bikes I thought the cassette was worn but I was told it looked OK on here. I didn't realise all of the radiused points were to help gear changes, I thought they were wear.
Despite all the scratches, the bike is only a few months old, just under 1000km, Tom is 12 and despite paying for it himself still not mature enough to have respect for money.
He's a bit gung-ho.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I thought it was the chain guide but didn't understand the relevance of the numbers. I never understood the need for a clutch on the derailleur until now either.
Side view of the derailleur.

View attachment 69245

View attachment 69246
Yup, your clutch is off, which makes it easier to change the chain and things. But should be on for riding to keep the chain tight - or it comes off the chainring .. :)

With it on, you should feel it's harder to move the cage forwards, with it off, it's quite easy.

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
What Zim said. ^^^

The clutch is essentially a spring loaded device that keeps the jockey wheel cage tensioned rearwards & in turn, tensions the chain, so as to aid keeping it tight & on the chainring when riding. On for riding, off for maintenance, chain removal etc.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Yup, your clutch is off, which makes it easier to change the chain and things. But should be on for riding to keep the chain tight - or it comes off the chainring .. :)

With it on, you should feel it's harder to move the cage forwards, with it off, it's quite easy.
So how does the OP move it to put it in the 'On' position?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles