• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered Cannock Chase

Virtualmeuk

Jun 5, 2018
UK
Hi Folks, it’s my birthday on Thursday and I was thinking of going to Cannock for a blast as I haven’t been there for over a year. Trouble is I hate it when it’s to crowded. Has anyone been since the restrictions have been lifted and the kids have been off school? Can’t decide if it’s safe to make the trip.

Virtualmeuk

Jun 5, 2018
UK
Hi folks, we went yesterday and it was in ok condition to be fair. First part is out of use from the bike shop but all of the rest was open and rideable. Had a big off half way round after catching a tree and mashing my little finger. Ploughed 8 foot into another tree and smashing my elbow and hip. Sore today and neck is stiff as. Cross with myself for a stupid mistake and realised I am a bit rusty or I have run out of talent!

billwarwick

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 1, 2018
warwick
Hi folks, we went yesterday and it was in ok condition to be fair. First part is out of use from the bike shop but all of the rest was open and rideable. Had a big off half way round after catching a tree and mashing my little finger. Ploughed 8 foot into another tree and smashing my elbow and hip. Sore today and neck is stiff as. Cross with myself for a stupid mistake and realised I am a bit rusty or I have run out of talent!
I think rusty is the right word. I feel like I’ve lost my mojo cos haven’t done anything challenging for a year, and have managed to have a couple of really bad falls on surfaces that should not have caused a problem. I’ll probably wait until the kids go back to school before starting to get back into it.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I think rusty is the right word. I feel like I’ve lost my mojo cos haven’t done anything challenging for a year, and have managed to have a couple of really bad falls on surfaces that should not have caused a problem. I’ll probably wait until the kids go back to school before starting to get back into it.
I would venture that the problem is a disconnect between your mind and your body. Your body is a year without "anything challenging for a year", but your mind still thinks you can do it. The mind says yes, but the body can't deliver.

When I retired I went to the Caribbean for three weeks. I used to be heavily into windsurfing when I was in my 30's, although I hadn't set foot on board for twenty years. The local surf guys were in a meeting when I wanted to go, but I persuaded them I was up to the task. Big mistake!

I had to be towed off the beach through the surf.
My feet hurt because the dagger board housing was right where one bare foot wanted to be.
The wind was too calm for it to be exciting.
The swell was too big for comfort with so little wind.
My usual moves seemed a bit slipshod and never really came off as crisply as I expected.

Anyway after 30 mins or so I got bored and thought I'd return but with a big finish.
So I came in to shore as fast as I could, with the intention of kicking up the daggerboard, running the board up the beach and trotting manfully off the board onto the beach without even getting my feet wet. That was the plan.
What actually happened was that there was a large flat rock just underneath that patch of seaweed. I slid up it and the daggerboard tipped the board over and me with it. I went completely under the water and came up spluttering (missed the rock fortunately).
The surf guy's meeting was over and the one that had towed me out came running over. I handed him the uphaul rope and told him that I'd come in because I was bored "it just wasn't the same".
He said "yeah, I could tell that you used to know what you were doing!" :rolleyes:

My mind said yes, but my body could no longer deliver. :(

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles