Cable and lead routing

LFB01

Jan 23, 2020
South Oxon
Hi everyone, whilst in the process of swapping my controller from Purion over to Kiox and removing the motor to feed in the new cables in. I have noticed that the rear mech cable and the rear brake hose have to do quite some bending over the top of the motor after going under the lower battery mount to get out the rear swing arm. I have always suffered from bad rear mech shifting even after repeated indexing.

looking at that Trek parts diagram, the cables and leads are shown to be run through the top of the battery bay not the bottom. Has any on swapped them over to run this way, if so did it make any difference to the shifting of the rear mech, be it good or bad? Cheers Tom

Slapbassmunky

Aug 1, 2020
Isle of wight
Mine run across the top of the battery bay including both of the battery mounting points, upper and lower. Are you saying yours run across the bottom?

LFB01

Jan 23, 2020
South Oxon
Mine run across the top of the battery bay including both of the battery mounting points, upper and lower. Are you saying yours run across the bottom?
Yep mine through the bottom of the battery bay the opposite to diagram on the thread at the top of the Trek section. I would be Interested to know how many rails have cable running through the top of the battery bay and how many run through the bottom, is it a carbon/ALi frame material difference for some reason?

LFB01

Jan 23, 2020
South Oxon
I Have separated this question to hopefully get some increased responses.

I would be Interested to know how from other rail owners have the cable/leads running through the top of the battery bay and how many run through the bottom, is it a carbon/ALi frame material difference for some reason?

mine is a 2020 9.8 and cable run through the bottom of the battery bay

TR5_20

Nov 22, 2020
Scotland
I Have separated this question to hopefully get some increased responses.

I would be Interested to know how from other rail owners have the cable/leads running through the top of the battery bay and how many run through the bottom, is it a carbon/ALi frame material difference for some reason?

mine is a 2020 9.8 and cable run through the bottom of the battery bay
2021 Rail 5 (so Alu frame), cables etc. run below the battery.

LFB01

Jan 23, 2020
South Oxon
You can run the cables however you like...so if you're willing you can try the opposing method and see if it works better.
Yep I have switched them to run through the top of the battery bay and over the upper and lower battery mounts as well as uncross the rear brake and gear line when they come through to the rear swing arm. Allready noticing a improvement on how responsive the rear mech shifts now....

Nick69

Feb 24, 2021
Carmarthen, Carmarthenshire
Can I ask how you
Yep I have switched them to run through the top of the battery bay and over the upper and lower battery mounts as well as uncross the rear brake and gear line when they come through to the rear swing arm. Allready noticing a improvement on how responsive the rear mech shifts now....
Can I ask how you secured the cables at the top of the battery bay..? Just supported by the battery mounts...?
I'm about to upgrade the brakes on our two Rails, so I'm dropping the motors and may as well sort the routing out the best way possible whilst I'm at it.
The shifting on both our bikes is awful. I've changed the cables on both and the inners are quite badly kinked in several places.
Cheers
Nick

LFB01

Jan 23, 2020
South Oxon
Can I ask how you

Can I ask how you secured the cables at the top of the battery bay..? Just supported by the battery mounts...?
I'm about to upgrade the brakes on our two Rails, so I'm dropping the motors and may as well sort the routing out the best way possible whilst I'm at it.
The shifting on both our bikes is awful. I've changed the cables on both and the inners are quite badly kinked in several places.
Cheers
Nick

My carbon rail has four plastic clips that originally held all the cables and leads in place in the bottom of the battery bay. I have moved two of these to the upper part of the battery bay to hold the rerouted cable in place.

I am currently waiting for a replacement motor to arrive ( i managed to snap off one of the mounting bracket to engine bolts) when it does i will check all the cable routing again to make sure there is no pinch points etc when it is in place.

Nick69

Feb 24, 2021
Carmarthen, Carmarthenshire
How did you manage to snap that off..? Not by just taking the motor in and out I hope... ??
I'm going to have to tackle mine this afternoon, I pulled the shifter cable out and it's kinked in several places again... ? Now I can't even push the new one back through... ?
Thanks for the reply anyway... ?

LFB01

Jan 23, 2020
South Oxon
How did you manage to snap that off..? Not by just taking the motor in and out I hope... ??
I'm going to have to tackle mine this afternoon, I pulled the shifter cable out and it's kinked in several places again... ? Now I can't even push the new one back through... ?
Thanks for the reply anyway... ?
I am not sure how the bolt snapped !!! I only noticed it was sheared off when i dropped the motor out to try and sort the gear cable outer out.. I found it a lot easier dropping the motor, and top and bottom battery brackets out to feed the new outer through plus it allowed me to sort out all the cables and leads as they were a right tangled mess.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles