• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered Bying first eMTB FOCUS JAM² 6.8 NINE or CUBE STEREO HYBRID 140 HPC?

monkku

Jul 20, 2020
Finland
So couple of my friends has eMTB and now I´m buying my first bike and there is only few stores in Finland area that sells them. So as I´m new in this hobby and only read few articles and review but still don´t know enough about the motors, suspensions, brakes etc. I would like to know more experienced people opinion what bike I should get.

CUBE Stereo Hybrid 140 HPC for 5199€

or

FOCUS JAM² 6.8 NINE for 4599€

Flog

Subscriber
Apr 19, 2020
Dorset / Somerset Border
I have the Jam 6.8 and I'm a newbie to E and to Mtb - furlough found me with wanting a new hobby so in I dived.
I have no experience of the cube so can't comment on that.... but the Jam....
I'm surprised how well specced it is against other bikes that I've seen in shops, web or a few friends that have - Bosch Kiox display which is getting better with new updates and I think the Nav is coming to it. Obviously the new motor upgrade gives it 85nm tourque and plenty of reviews on this.
I'm not the fittest 50 something on this forum and the motor helps me no end with plenty of torque and always surprised what I can get up with it. Gearing works well and whether it was the shop I bought from, the indexing hasn't missed a beat, especially after falling off numerous times!! Brakes seem ok, but nothing to compare them with.
Dropper is nice and long, well for me anyway, 5 11". Suspension good enough for what I want to do, I'm also heavy and as yet I haven't bottomed it out!
I haven't changed anything from the stock model but as said I'm still learning. I probably will change the tyres to a more cross country mixed tyre rather than a down hill specific but thats just where I'm riding mainly.
My wife bought the Focus Thron 6.7 and I have to say we should have spent a bit more and gone to the 6.8 as the 6.7 is quite a basic spec.
I'm made up with it. Hope you find the bike for you.

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
FOCUS but I'm biased as can only compare with Levo.
Only advice I can offer is to buy from an accessible bike shop. Reading on here it seems on line purchases can lead to tears....Buying locally might be cheaper but local help is very confidence building.
Whatever you buy you will LOVE it .
Good Luck

monkku

Jul 20, 2020
Finland
Yeah I´m going to test Cube tomorrow and the shop that sells Focus has test bike that they offered for me to take for weekend test so I can test it in my neighboring fields and forests.

TrailBoB

Apr 27, 2020
Scotland
Yeah I´m going to test Cube tomorrow and the shop that sells Focus has test bike that they offered for me to take for weekend test so I can test it in my neighboring fields and forests.

Monkku good luck with the test ride. I have a Jam2 6.8 Nine and think it's a great bike. I've had the 85nm update done, WoW emtb is so much fun know especially on climbs. The 4 piston brakes are strong & scrub off the speed very well. Some people say the 34 Fox's on the front are prono to flex, but not been an issue, but all depends on the extremness of the terrain & use it gets. All in all a good first bike to start out with. I've not rode a Cube, so can't comment or compare, there will always be a compromise with any bike I think. That's why there's aftermarket component retailers, so you can make it your own. Or just leave it as is & enjoy.

GMLS

Jun 22, 2020
Surrey
I'd shortlisted very similar bikes (actually the 6.9 nine) and just ordered the Cube 140 TM.This was mainly based on availability of a demo, local supplier and discount offerred. Its a lot of money to pay without getting a feel for something. I'd already discounted a Whyte after a ride.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I used to have the Focus Jam2 with the Shimano Motor. Now I have my Second Cube 160. Currently the TM 160. I changed as I had so many problems with the Focus. Electrically it simply didn't work.
The 2 Battery principle of the Focus was great. Most rides I didn't need the TEC pack. But if I did big rides, the TEC pack gave a battery capacity that didn't exist a few years ago. Also the slim downtube made the Focus bike very sexy.
Having to charge on the bike was a Pain in the A.. sometimes.
With regards to handling and the rest of the stuff, I would say there is no advantage over the other.
I eventually got the Cube, as I had lost all confidence in the Shimano motor, and the Focus repair took 6 weeks.

Try them both, and if you find one feels much better than the other, then take that.
HOWEVER / Otherwise I can advise you to get the bike from your Local Bike Shop. If you have problems (Which I did) then you don't want to be messing around with sending your bike anywhere. Ihad to take my bike in 8 times before I eventually demanded my money back. It was a pain as the shop was 30KM away. But imagine if it was 100, or I had to post the bike!!!!!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have a Focus Jam2 9.6 NINE and it is quite a different bike to your Focus, different motor and battery for starters. I have test ridden several Cubes also.

The Cube wins on specification alone, which is probably why it has a €600 price penalty. You are in the great position of being able to test ride them both, so make it count!!

Make sure that the bike is set up for you before you start the test ride. Get the saddle height correct when the dropper is fully extended, get the saddle in the best place for you (fore/aft). Get the levers all in the right position for ease of use. Check that the tyre pressures are suitable and don't be afraid to alter them later during the ride, so take a mini-pump with you in your pack. Finally, and most importantly, get the %sag set up front and rear for your riding weight. Be sure that you understand what the suspension levers and dials do. If you cannot get your head around it, then ask the bike shop for advice and initial set up.

On the test ride, be looking for how well the bike fits you. Some people have a long torso, but short legs, or the other way around. Some have long arms. But the bikes do not all come designed for a standard person. One bike's geometry will suit one person better than a bike with a different geometry. Bikes are different!

Do not be afraid to alter anything on the bike if it makes it a better fit for you. So take a multi-tool.

If one section of the test track give you problems on the first bike, see if you get the same problems on the second bike.

Ask yourself, "which bike did I enjoy riding the most?"

Finally, take into account how close the seller is to where you live or ride regularly. @Akiwi is not the only person on this Forum to make that point.

If you cannot make a decision and you like them both, then assign each bike to the sides of a coin and toss it. Whatever side comes up, ask yourself "am I pleased?" If the answer is "no", choose the other one!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@monkku PS: You said that this is your first bike. If you mean that and not "this is my first ebike", then I STRONGLY urge you to sign up for some lessons, starting with Introductory level. You will be astonished at how different riding mtb is to riding a road bike.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles